View Poll Results: Is Hooters Part of the Adult Industry?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 20.83%
  • No

19 79.17%

Thread: Is Hooters Considered Adult Industry?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,105 Times in 4,460 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Dizzy Is Hooters Considered Adult Industry?

They aren't naked or doing anything sensual but they are dressed in skimpy, skin tight shorts and cleavage bearing tops ....... so is this the adult industry? Is this sexwork even though they aren't having sex or doing anything overtly sexual?

Is walking into Hooters on par with walking into a strip club? Or is this a grey area?

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 Times in 2,178 Posts

Default Re: Is Hooters Considered Adult Industry?

I don't think so, since children are allowed to go to Hooters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 1,981 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

From the view of most of us who post on this board, definitely not IMHO. I think the more straight-laced crowd does view it as edgy (lol), but I doubt that even most of them would put it in the same category as stripping. After all, they could see more on the beach than they can at a Hooters. Shit, some people bring their children to Hooters, which accommodates them with high chairs and kids' menus.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Okay that makes sense.

Thanks for voting.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 320 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

When I was 17 years old, I walked into a hookers and was hired on the spot for "host" position. I ran home and told my aunt that I just got hired at hooters and she took my uniform and burned it. It's not adult entertainment but most think it is.

Veteran Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks

i used to work there and nah, definitely not. i waited on a surprising number of families. it's just a serving job. you do side work and stuff like any other serving job. i did cocktail shifts at a brewery (like yard house) and would wear a skirt and low cut top and did just as much flirting as i did at hooters. it's the same thing, just a waitress job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fbsmgirl View Post
    When I was 17 years old, I walked into a hookers and was hired on the spot for "host" position. I ran home and told my aunt that I just got hired at hooters and she took my uniform and burned it. It's not adult entertainment but most think it is.
    omg. I believe you though.

Hooters started the whole "breasturant" thing that is now a bit cliche. TBH the whole restaurant industry has been having a bad time since 2008. Do what you can, I guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

Thanks
    Thanked 13,029 Times in 6,850 Posts
    My Mood
    Doh

Thumbs up Re: Is Hooters Considered Adult Industry?

Yea, here we also have Tilted Kilt, & Twin Peaks, first one's school girl out fit, TP's Jean shorts crop plaid top
    Honestly, I've been in H's w my mom, but I want to try the other 2 to get a good laugh @ the men's going in there.
    Sorry.
    Edit: the poll didn't work for me j/s
    Last edited by whirlerz; 05-18-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote HK: Remember, dick gets hard, brain shuts off, money flows from the pocket.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

^^^Yeah I think Coyote Ugly is similar to Hooters and sounds like the other two places you mention.

God/dess
    Thanks

It depends. Who is asking?

In sexual discrimination litigation (male job applicants sued Hooters because, surprisingly, Hooters discriminated against male job applicants in favor of attractive and buxom young ladies), Hooters argued that its business was very similar to an adult entertainment business. They said their business model depends mostly on horny balding middle-aged men coming to check out the hot young girls in skimpy outfits. Dudes would not look so good in skimpy dresses, and forcing Hooters to hire dudes instead of sexy young hot babes would destroy Hooters. Hooters sought to be treated as an adult entertainment business, because that status would give them a lot of latitude in who they hired. (For example, a gentleman's club cannot be sued for sexual discrimination, even though it only hires or contracts with female dancers.)

However, for purposes of zoning, Hooters takes a completely contrary position. They will argue that they are a family-friendly restaurant and it is perfectly fine to locate a Hooters near residences, schools and churches. For zoning purposes, they argue that they are most definitely NOT a sexually oriented business.

They get to have their cake (or chicken wings, whatever) and eat it too.
    Last edited by jack0177057; 05-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
    - Oscar Wilde

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jack0177057 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 Times in 2,178 Posts

If I remember correctly, in the lawsuit against Hooters, Hooters said the waitresses were playing a role as a "Hooters girl", so only females could play that role.

God/dess
    Thanks

Yes, exactly, they have said that "sex appeal is part of our thing".

To get more technical, Hooters tried to rely on the "bona fide occupational qualification" (BFOQ) exception to sexual discrimination under the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The BGOQ exception is relied on by the adult entertainment industry to allow strip clubs, etc., to discriminate against males and older females. A strip club can hire (or contract) with young beautiful women and discriminate against everyone else. Hooters argued that sex appeal was a major element of their business and they should be allowed the same leeway that a strip club has. However, when it comes to zoning, Hooters downplays its sex appeal, and emphasize that it is a very family friendly restaurant. They aggressively fight every city's efforts to have them zoned as an adult entertainment establishment.

From a legal article in the DUKE JOURNAL OF GENDER LAW & POLICY:

Though businesses that do not primarily sell sex are prohibited from making sexually discriminatory hiring decisions, businesses whose "essence" is the actual selling of sex are permitted to hire based upon gender. According tothe court in Wilson v. Southwest Airline Co., a BFOQ defense based upon sex appeal is permitted where "vicarious sex entertainment is the primary service provided" and "female sexuality [is] reasonably necessary to perform the dominate purpose of the job which is forthrightly to titillate and entice male customers."127 Thus, a strip club that hires only women to perform as exotic dancers or a gentleman's club employing only females as topless waitresses can still shield discrimination suits by employing the BFOQ defense.

The determination of whether sexual entertainment is the primary product or service of a business is challenging, however, because many businesses teeter on this edge, offering services that are laced with sex appeal. An often cited example of this practice is Hooters' policy of hiring only female waitresses.129 Hooters is a favored eating establishment for male clientele precisely because of its scantily clad female servers. Hooters unquestionably draws larger crowds, earns higher profits, and achieves increased popularity as a result of the sexual promotion of its waitresses.130 While the female servers may be preferred by the majority of customers and thus increase business, Hooters primary business is the serving of food and beverages to customers, not the serving of sex appeal.

Although there has never been a court decision on the merits of Hooters' hiring practices, the company was sued in 1994 for its gender discriminatory hiring.131 Hooters raised the BFOQ exception as a defense, but eventually entered into a 3.75 million dollar settlement that permitted the company to continue excluding men from its server positions, but mandated the creation of gender neutral positions for bartenders and hosts.132 If taken to court, it is unlikely that Hooters could successfully defend its hiring practices based upon the BFOQ, considering that its primary business is not the selling of sexual entertainment.

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/...&context=djglp

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    If I remember correctly, in the lawsuit against Hooters, Hooters said the waitresses were playing a role as a "Hooters girl", so only females could play that role.
    Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
    - Oscar Wilde

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jack0177057 For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I think if you asked conservative church goer they'd say yes lol. But IMO no. I worked at Hooters briefly for a few months when I was 18. I hated the corporate rules they had.