Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going vegan

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 563 Posts

Default Re: Going vegan

i went pescetarian on a whim this week and am liking it. not sure if i will go full vegan.

it's true about that you will stop craving certain foods. about a year ago i went on a diet that said no dairy and i really have stopped craving cheese, which was a major addiction of mine. i really barely ate dairy and now i completely cut it out and don't miss it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crystalize For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This sloppy Joe's recipe is awesome- it uses lentils. I also like to add crumbled tempeh to it for more protein. I like it with some melted vegan cheese (Chao is my fav), avocado and pickles.
    http://chefchloe.com/recipes/entrees...oppy-joes.html

This sweet potato falafel burger recipe is awesome and super easy! The tahini sauce is so good too.
    http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/swee...lafel-burgers/

Thanks
    Thanked 8,027 Times in 2,831 Posts
    My Mood
    Sad

There are so many recipes. Google gluten free vegan recipes. I'm trying to go full myself. Especially more now that my mom and sister just went vegan.

Was doing well. I fucked up today.

Thanks

nutritional yeast kinda tastes like cheddar cheese. try going raw vegan for a couple weeks and you won't even want dairy. it's a tough transition so don't expect perfection every time. I slipped up a bunch in the beginning, but after about a month my body only craved fruits and veggies, I lost a ton of weight, my skin cleared up (wasn't that bad to begin with but I haven't had a zit in like 4 years), my allergies got better, etc. I'll have fish now once in a while, but very small portions.

or if you prefer to do baby steps into the vegan lifestyle, that also works. I just tend to function better by ripping the bandaid off and immersing myself into whatever changes I want to make. do you booboo.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Litch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vyanka View Post
    There are so many recipes. Google gluten free vegan recipes. I'm trying to go full myself. Especially more now that my mom and sister just went vegan.

Was doing well. I fucked up today.
    don't beat yourself up. it's not easy changing the way you eat. so much of it is just autopilot. the thing you have to get used to with veganism is unless you're eating a lot of starches you don't feel as full as you normally do. when you fill up on fruits and veggies it's mostly water so you can feel that something's in your stomach, but it doesn't really have the same feeling as eating tons of protein and fat. once you get used to never really feeling "full" your attitude about food kinda changes and you eat to fuel your body and get nutrients, not just to feel full if that makes sense?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Litch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,027 Times in 2,831 Posts
    My Mood
    Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Litch View Post
    don't beat yourself up. it's not easy changing the way you eat. so much of it is just autopilot. the thing you have to get used to with veganism is unless you're eating a lot of starches you don't feel as full as you normally do. when you fill up on fruits and veggies it's mostly water so you can feel that something's in your stomach, but it doesn't really have the same feeling as eating tons of protein and fat. once you get used to never really feeling "full" your attitude about food kinda changes and you eat to fuel your body and get nutrients, not just to feel full if that makes sense?

I made this today. Omg. Came out good. Very filling and full of protein. Gluten free. http://eatwithinyourmeans.com/protei...d-vegan-gravy/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,109 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Looks good!
    xoxo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,202 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vyanka View Post
    Follow your Heart smoked gouda is good. Provolone too.
    Tried this and really liked it! Thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,189 Posts

I've gone " much heavier " vegan / vegatarian in the last few months. I don't really intend to ever be fully " in " with it but I felt like I was having problems with my skin and weight ( slow gain after quitting dancing ) so I thought it would be worth a try to really kick things into gear with MUCH healthier eating habits / meal prepping.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,468 Times in 967 Posts
    My Mood
    Lurking

i kind of went vegan by accident lol. I think about 5 years ago i stopped eating meat because i realized i basically only ate really unhealthy kinds (like fatty or super processed). then i was eating fish and dairy still. i stopped eating fish after i got sick one time from sushi and another time i ate lobster and it tasted weird and i just stayed away since then...which has been maybe 4 years? Then for me too cheese was the last thing I was eating but I noticed it made me get a stuffy nose so I would eat it rarely...but then I noticed my skin was way better not eating it...soooo yeah i guess vanity helped me go vegan lol.

I think the key thing is not really replacing anything with "substitutes" but finding new foods you like that are vegan. For me I fell in love with coconut/curry vegetable stews, roasted potatoes, and also asparagus with garlic and lemon. Just try new recipes all the time or even recipes you already love can usually easily be "veganized". If you have enough new and exciting food you the transition should be pretty easy. Amys frozen dinners has a decent macaroni and "Cheeze" (i think they sell regular kinds too, so make sure it says dairy free) Its not super amazing or anything, but it is good enough to fill the void...it does taste way better than something like kraft mac and cheese tho lol.
    "Achieving success is a challenge but so is struggling so you may as well choose success."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to h0ttie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,671 Times in 7,175 Posts
    My Mood
    Doh

Sitting in a veg restaurant as we speak, waiting for my take out

17. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

I spotted this at my grocery store today! I don't have any room in my mini fridge at the moment but I might try this in a week or two.

IMG_20170910_212031.jpg

I also tried something new - a veggie burger at one of my favorite grease spoons. It was really good! I'm going to get it again next time I eat there!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    Sitting in a veg restaurant as we speak, waiting for my take out
    What'd you order​?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 563 Posts

i tried the daiya cheezy mac today in alfredo and it was really good, i'd say better than regular mac and cheese!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 542 Posts

I'm a dairy free pescetarian but find myself mostly eating vegan because it's easier. I live in california and all the health food stores are very vegan friendly

I wish i could make the switch into raw vegan. It's possible to be a fat vegan with all the carbs and stuff. And processed vegan food is still processed food. So I'm slowly working towards that. Today i had a heavy vegan burger and knocked out and woke up feeling groggy. Almost similar to a feeling when you overeat on a normal burger.

When my school schedule is crazy i survive off of nutri bars and protein smoothies. By the time i get home i either scarf whatever little food that is available (usually beans and avocado) or just knock out. I lost 13 pounds over the summer but am pretty sure i gained it all back in the month break between summer school and fall semester because all i did was cook insanely heavy vegan meals. Hopefully now that school is back i can go back to eating better

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BarbieNYC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

IMG_20170911_201201.jpg

I microwaved a vegan Amy's dinner tonight. Tofu, brown rice and veggies. I was afraid it was going to taste bland but it has some flavor to it. I want to stock up on these for when I'm too lazy to cook.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,641 Times in 1,588 Posts

Daiya slices are the best vegan cheese slices I've ever had.

https://daiyafoods.com/our-foods/slices/cheddar/

Amy's vegan macaroni and cheeze is the most delicious vegan mac and cheese ever. It tastes so similar to the real thing, it blows my mind.

https://www.amys.com/our-foods/rice-...ree-dairy-free

As far as fast food goes, it's easy to eat vegan at Taco Bell. I usually order a bean burrito, no cheese, add lettuce and guacamole. The spicy potato soft tacos are good too, just order them without the cheese and sauce. (The chipotle sauce contains eggs.)

https://www.tacobell.com/feed/how-to-eat-vegan

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ScarletKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks

BTW, Amy's has a vegan fast food restaurant in Northern California. They plan to expand nationwide. America's first all vegetarian/vegan fast food chain!

https://www.eater.com/2017/9/6/16260...rian-fast-food

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScarletKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 542 Posts

^^they have a vegan drive thru in vegas. Similar to in n out. Omg so good but so unhealthy lol it's called vege-way

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BarbieNYC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,197 Times in 2,843 Posts
    My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKitten View Post

As far as fast food goes, it's easy to eat vegan at Taco Bell. I usually order a bean burrito, no cheese, add lettuce and guacamole. The spicy potato soft tacos are good too, just order them without the cheese and sauce. (The chipotle sauce contains eggs.)

https://www.tacobell.com/feed/how-to-eat-vegan
    Yes! Taco Bell was my go-to when I did a month of being fully vegan and craved fast food. I would order a Crunchwrap Supreme with beans (refried or black beans are both good in it), no cheese, no sour cream, add guacamole.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sexysusie View Post
    It does help to try out all the various meat substitutes when you're first transitioning, but in all honesty it's nicer and healthier just to eat whole foods (i.e. plants). After a couple of months your taste buds will change and you won't crave so many artificially sweet or salty things, or a lot of the stuff you thought you were completely addicted to. It's pretty fascinating actually, and you'll get a whole new passion for food and experimenting with flavours Pinterest is AMAZING btw for ideas for meals. I have a ton of vegan cook books but find myself just going back to pinterest over and over. There's a big vegan + gluten free community x

^^^This! My post below applies to better eating in general, not necessarily being vegan.

1) Pinterest is awesome for recipes! With the exception of 1, every recipe I've tried that I found on Pinterest was yummy!
    2) I've been making the transition to being healthier (I love cheese too much to give it up..sorry!), and I found that I'm more successful this time around versus previous because it's been gradual changes and not a sudden turnaround.
    3) I know my weak points. Gummy candys used to be it..haven't had any in over 2months. I still crave spicy nacho Doritos from time to time, so I keep hotter spices and seasonings in the house so when I'm craving heat I can still fulfill that without eating garbage.

I've made progress, but still have a ways to go. My fiancé is a Chef, so it's hard to cut out certain foods sometimes. Nor do I want to stifle his creative desires. He buys the food in our house and for the most part he buys healthy stuff. I just don't eat the red meats or other dairy products.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKitten View Post
    BTW, Amy's has a vegan fast food restaurant in Northern California. They plan to expand nationwide. America's first all vegetarian/vegan fast food chain!

https://www.eater.com/2017/9/6/16260...rian-fast-food
    I heard about that! Have you gone yet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KALIN View Post
    I heard about that! Have you gone yet?
    No, not yet. I'm not anywhere near Cali right now. But if I ever am, I will definitely check it out! The idea is exciting to me. Seductive, really.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,337 Times in 2,506 Posts

A customer at my day job mentioned he lost 5 pounds rapidly by going vegan. So its true its an easy way to slim down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12