Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going vegan

Thanks

Default Going vegan

I just watched yet another documentary. This one was called What The Health on Netflix. I have to agree that the more veggies and fruit I eat the better I feel.
    I don't eat much meat now. Correction, I don't eat a verity of meat now. I eat fast food type meats. I've cut out fast foods before and only ate chicken and fish. I've cut out fish before during pregnancy (was very easy). My thing IS again CHEESE! I would use queso for sex instead of whipped cream.
    After actually stopping to think about what cheese actually is...it's kinda disgusting. However I feel the same way about sex until the right time strikes.
    So how do you go from fast food to vegan?
    Any recipes are welcome as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 940 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Re: Going vegan

Once you do a couple cashew cheese recipes you won't miss cheese at all. I'm always angry i wasted so much of my life eating animal parts every time i have an alternative that's better. I don't have any on my phone but i'll add a few when i'm home later.

I'd recommend getting a couple vegan cookbooks (usually bookstores have a ton on sale, i've found awesome ones for as cheap as $3). There's lots of recipes online but i feel like working through a physical cookbook that explains techniques ans what you want to stock your pantry with and stuff is better for when you first start out.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperJa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,564 Posts

There are tons of decent vegan recipes online. My advice, make sure you are getting enough protein and B Vitamins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

I'm not vegan, but Daiya shredded cheese was convincing to me. (It's vegan)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopcorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've recently stopped eating meat, and it was kind of challenging for me. It's a staple in my family's culture. And my body still screams for a steak every time I'm at a particular point of my cycle. But I did it! I weaned off it over the course of a year and a half. First, I dropped one kind of meat (pig, in my case). Then I dropped all mammals. Then poultry. I'm still a pescatarian at this point, but hoping to wean down all the way, and it already feels like it won't be so hard.

If you can't quit cold turkey, just do it gradually. Aim for quitting one thing at a time, and don't be too hard on yourself if you cheat once a month at first along the way. You're still contributing a significant improvement while you're on your vegan training wheels. Just get your body used to less animal product intake and you'll stop craving it eventually.

I have to tell you, there's no true cheese substitute. But there are delicious alternatives. Like the cashew cheese mentioned above. And I find all "vegan cheeses" that are supposed to really resemble cheese don't do so, but some of them are enjoyable on their own merits. They're still a good addition to a sandwich.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roserose For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Going Vegan is really easy with all the new meat and cheese substitutes and in my opinion they all taste great like the beyond meat burgers and daiya and chao cheeses are amazing. I def relate to the cheese being the hardest part to give up it was for me too and most other vegans i know. Its because there's actually chemicals in the cheese to keep the baby calf to keep coming back to nurse from the mother and they keep humans addicted as well. I havent had meat in years but When I cut out the cheese and eggs is when my body completely changed and all of my ailments healed, chronic migraines acne brain fog and I lost 20 pounds pretty easily. I eat mostly plant based and raw vegan now and i feel great.

Quote Originally Posted by roserose View Post
    I've recently stopped eating meat, and it was kind of challenging for me. It's a staple in my family's culture. And my body still screams for a steak every time I'm at a particular point of my cycle. But I did it! I weaned off it over the course of a year and a half. First, I dropped one kind of meat (pig, in my case). Then I dropped all mammals. Then poultry. I'm still a pescatarian at this point, but hoping to wean down all the way, and it already feels like it won't be so hard.

If you can't quit cold turkey, just do it gradually. Aim for quitting one thing at a time, and don't be too hard on yourself if you cheat once a month at first along the way. You're still contributing a significant improvement while you're on your vegan training wheels. Just get your body used to less animal product intake and you'll stop craving it eventually.

I have to tell you, there's no true cheese substitute. But there are delicious alternatives. Like the cashew cheese mentioned above. And I find all "vegan cheeses" that are supposed to really resemble cheese don't do so, but some of them are enjoyable on their own merits. They're still a good addition to a sandwich.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

I can't remember the brand but whole foods sells a great dry (you just add water to it) vegan queso dip. For sliced cheese, I love Follow Your Heart. No weird smell, tastes like dairy cheese

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KALIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,112 Times in 2,854 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Follow your Heart smoked gouda is good. Provolone too.

Thanks

I like Chao vegan cheese slices by Field Roast. I also love the Field Roast sausages and hot dogs.

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10 I like this Mac n cheese and you can use the cheese sauce for other things like cheesy potatoes, nacho dip etc.

The author of that recipe has a lot of great recipes here https://www.allisonriverssamson.com/...iday%20recipes. The twice baked potatoes are awesome as well as the lasagna which uses a macadamia ricotta. I've also seen recipes for cashew ricotta that would probably be good and cheaper. Raw cashews work great as a dairy replacement in the form of cashew creams and cheeses.

Thanks

So I tried to go a day without meat or dairy and I almost did it. It wasn't healthy but it was a mostly vegan day. I had oodles of noodles, a biscuit with jam , sparkling lemonade and chocolate chip cookies. I forgot to get vegan cookies.
    I think I'm going back to trying to add a veggie or fruit to every meal and subbing in vegan products like instead of regular milk getting vanilla almond milk. Over time I should be able to wean off of meat and dairy that way and stay the course.
    I remember trying tofu at a Korean restaurant. Blandest food next to water but I like water. Tofu is terrible!
    Last edited by wish; 07-17-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Add thought on tofu

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 940 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Blandest food next to water but I like water. Tofu is terrible!
    tofu actually kicks ass if you know how to cook it... it absorbs the flavor of whatever seasonings you use. Scrambled tofu is one of my favorite breakfasts: https://minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/

Asian restaurants also tend to use soft tofu, for most stuff you'll want to use extra firm or pressed tofu.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperJa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

I don't even miss dairy at all. It's 2017, good non-dairy replacements are easily found and more will likely come out in the future. Parmela Creamery and Field Roast have good cheeses. Parmela Creamery's mozzarella is good with lasagna, spaghetti and other pasta dishes. Daiya is not the best vegan cheese in my opinion but it is the cheapest and most popular so many places with vegan options use it. I enjoy it when used on pizza.

SoDelicious ice cream is great. They have ice cream made with coconut, soy, cashew and almond milk.

If you're looking for recipes follow the facebook page Carrots And Flowers. I've seen them post homemade vegan cheese and ice cream recipes.

I like tofu. But it can be bland if you don't know what to do with it. There's a place that's a 20 minute drive from where I live (it's not a vegan restaurant in general but it's not hard finding options at most Chinese food places) that I think has the best fried tofu. Whenever I stop in the city I go there for the fried tofu.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarCookies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

I'm not a good cook so I usually but pre marinated tofu from Trader Joe's or Sprouts. I like the savory flavor!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KALIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tofu can be really good. I use a tofu press I got on Amazon for like $25. It presses out nearly 1/2 C of water from a pound of tofu. Once the water is pressed out, it will better absorb and take on the flavor of your marinade. I love sesame soy Asian marinades and also BBQ tofu. It's delicious pan fried, baked, in salads and in a stirfry. I read that if you freeze tofu, it changes the texture and makes it "meatier," but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, you can use soft silken tofu to make a tasty high protein pudding, or add it to smoothies.

Soy Curls is a product I really like. It's dehydrated soy made from the whole bean. You rehydrate it in broth for flavor and it has a nice meaty texture. I've made yummy vegan chicken salads, fajitas, BBQ wraps etc with it. It can be hard to find in stores, though. I buy it on Amazon or Vegan Essentials.

Seitan (made from wheat gluten) is a good high protein alternative to tofu/soy products. I like it in stirfries and vegan stew etc. You can make it homemade or find it at stores like Whole Foods by the tofu.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someone22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

Has any one tried vegan canned tuna? I saw this at Sprouts today. It came in two flavors - sea salt and black pepper. I wish there was a smoked hickory flavor.

20170717_160802.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,564 Posts

It's hard for me to admit as a meat eater but there are a lot of items that are incredible & decent replacements for meat & dairy....chickpeas, different beans, nuts & starchy fruit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,328 Times in 1,060 Posts

I'm not vegan although I wish I could be. Sometimes I eat meatless meals. I've had lactose intolerance since I was a baby though. There are lots of milk alternatives. Daiya cheese alternative is good too. Tofu cooked in soy sauce or something to give it flavor. Bean curd sticks rock!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 420 Posts

Check out www.thefirstmess.com, it's vegan recipes that are like plants as plants. No fake meat or trying to trick you into thinking you're eating meat. The recipes aren't too crazy and the ingredients are pretty accessible (except for the drinks but that's whatever). I'm a total idiot in the kitchen and I made a few recipes that came out great.
    Seriously this blog got me switching to a majority vegan diet.

hot flirting tips 2k13: tell him, Im not like other girls, then pull down the secret zipper at the back of your neck to reveal your true reptilian form

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sierra. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 420 Posts

Also I second Chao cheese. Love that stuff. Daiya I didn't really care for but that was a long time ago, maybe it got better.
    I tried a vegan dish my friend made with beyond meat's beyond beef and it was killer.

hot flirting tips 2k13: tell him, Im not like other girls, then pull down the secret zipper at the back of your neck to reveal your true reptilian form

Thanks
    Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,624 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I was never a big fast food eater but as a veggie I did rely a lot on the processed meat substitutes and I LOVED cheese! Gotta say cheese has been difficult but everything else is way easier than I imagined. The biggest tip I can give you is not to try to be perfect and do too much at once. Start by 'veganising' one meal at a time. Breakfast is the simplest - simply have oatmeal with soy/oat/almond milk, fruits, seeds etc. Then when you've figured out a few breakfasts you like, move on to lunch. Quinoa is AMAZING, it's a complete protein so great for filling you up, use it in place of rice or couscous, and add in veggies, olives, and hummus for a perfect lunch. Dinners can be stir fry, curry, stew, salads, pasta etc etc, with tons of different types of veggies. Black beans are really meaty and a perfect replacement for beef mince in chilli/bolognaise/lasagne etc. Aubergine grilled or baked goes all gooey and is a wonderful replacement on above mentioned lasagne for cheese pick up some nutritional yeast (preferably fortified with b12) and sprinkle it onto and into everything. The stuff is seriously cheesy and nutty (kind of parmesan like) and sprinkled over vegan cheese will make it taste like cheddar. Over tofu it tastes like chicken! Crispy fried tofu tastes like pork!!!! You can definitely do this! Just go slow and take it one step at a time. You rock xx
    Websites & payment for camgirls

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,129 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Be n Jerrys Vegan ice cream is good.
    xoxo

34. The Following User Says Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,284 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I am also going vegan after a cleansing fast. I have been a vegetarian on and off for almost half of my life. I completely agree that giving up cheese is the hardest part, and it makes a lot of sense about the addictive properties. I have eaten vegan for days and weeks on end but have not reached the point yet where I am fully committed. For me personally, I have the added problem that I should also avoid gluten because of my thyroid issue. So, many pre-packed foods that are vegan are not gluten free (gluten is actually used in many meat alternatives). I have looked into cashew cheese recipes and realize I am going to have to make a lot of my own food but I am ok with that as I feel really good when I do not eat meat or dairy.

Also, just an opinion as I am not a nutritionist or doctor but I think certain blood types do better without meat. One of my nephews and my niece also do not like meat very much (or at least not pork in my neices case) and one of my aunts has been vegetarian for a long time. I do not like the taste or texture of meat; however one of my sisters - the mother of my niece; needs protein every 4-6 hours or she gets light headed and lethargic and she eats a LOT of meat.

To each their own; I do not like meat as a food and not because I am an animal rights advocate, if others choose to eat it I do not judge. I will miss lobster I think.
    XoXo Gia
    Danielle Fishell (the Dish): "If the Super-Star thing doesn't work out, Gia makes a great stripper name"

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gia2608 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,341 Times in 2,870 Posts
    My Mood
    Brooding

All the Follow Your Heart cheeses I've tried are awesome. They even make a shredded Parmesan that I put on pasta. Tofurkey makes a really good hickory smoked sliced "turkey" for sandwiches and Italian sausage. I generally avoid anything from the brand Smart. I have some great vegan recipes but am on my phone right now.

Like someone else mentioned, go gradually and don't beat yourself up if you aren't perfect. Doing the best you can is still better than saying fuck it just because you can't be perfect.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,341 Times in 2,870 Posts
    My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by KALIN View Post
    Has any one tried vegan canned tuna? I saw this at Sprouts today. It came in two flavors - sea salt and black pepper. I wish there was a smoked hickory flavor.

20170717_160802.jpg
    This stuff is GOD AWFUL. I even tried drowning it in veganaise and it couldn't save it. I will never spend $4 a can on this again.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,177 Times in 2,624 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

It does help to try out all the various meat substitutes when you're first transitioning, but in all honesty it's nicer and healthier just to eat whole foods (i.e. plants). After a couple of months your taste buds will change and you won't crave so many artificially sweet or salty things, or a lot of the stuff you thought you were completely addicted to. It's pretty fascinating actually, and you'll get a whole new passion for food and experimenting with flavours Pinterest is AMAZING btw for ideas for meals. I have a ton of vegan cook books but find myself just going back to pinterest over and over. There's a big vegan + gluten free community x
    Websites & payment for camgirls

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast