Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very low calorie diet & keeping occupied?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,908 Times in 3,764 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

Default Re: Very low calorie diet & keeping occupied?

susie, how did you like that Appetite for Reduction cookbook? You said you felt full. Were the recipes tasty? Are they something you think you could do beyond a week?

I'm always interested in learning new vegetarian/vegan recipes that are low-cal but healthy and filling.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Also Intermittent fasting.. I love because I'm kinda bad at the whole bird food thing. It's easier for me to have an alloted eating frame and then not think about it. Its so easy.

Fast 16 hours every day. (this can be done so during most of that time you are asleep. For example you stop eating any foods from 8pm to noon the next day. You then repeat the cycle where you can eat any series of nutritious foods until 8pm again and so on ans so forth)

Eat within an 8-hour window every day. (ie1. 12pm-8pm) (This is the 16/8 method, there is also 20/4 , I'm not sure if less than 16 or 14 hours is effective)

Exercise with high intensity, a few times per week, often while still in a fasted state. (Before the 12pm bread break)
    Use 10 g of BCAA before or during your exercise session. (optional)

On your exercise days, eat 2-3 big meals of protein (meat or substitute), veggies, and carbs.

Eat your largest meal directly after your workout.

On non-exercise days, eat 2-3 meals of protein (meat or substitute), veggies, and fats.

Eat mostly whole, minimally processed foods, instead of processed foods or supplements.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChocoChanel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,908 Times in 3,764 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

^^Coco, I think I tend to do intermittent fasting without even trying! I tend to wake up, work out, and sometimes don't eat anything until 1-4pm. However, I think it would be really difficult for me to stop at 8pm since I tend to have more of the psychological desire to eat in the evening when I'm "winding down." It's easy for me to go into the afternoon without eating, because I power through tasks in the beginning of the day and don't even think about food.

Is it ok to shift the hours? Like stop at 10 or 11pm, just don't eat anything until 2 or 3pm instead of noon? I assume so, but don't know if being awake longer and using up more energy in the fasted state until later in the day would change anything, if you know? Or am I not getting the same kinds of results?
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

^^ that's my main problem too, late night snacking/eating. I think its fine to switch the hours as long as your really stick to it. I found that I just keep moving it back until I was basically just cheating lol! But ya I i think That's fine because I know some [people who are nurses or have jobs where they do graveyard shift and they talk about altering the times because it works better for their schedule! I discovered it on accident too, there's so much info on google, people even did tests to see which hours are most effective haha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChocoChanel For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I couldn't agree more. I've lost weight by doing everything that you're *not* "supposed" to do and going with the idea that it's all about calories.

It seems, though, that if you really don't get enough protein, you lose muscle and have hunger pangs. Stuff that makes you hungry is BAD, because then you might not be able to control it. So there's a point to whatever helps you control it. But in the end, it's all about how much you eat.

In my case, what seems to matter is not STARTING to eat for the day. I wake up, I'm not hungry. No interest in food. Mid-morning, I probably want an apple or something. Then I get hungry around 3-4 PM. That's my normal cycle. I usually stretch it out until 6, though sometimes I'll have more fruit or a piece of jerky. By the time 6 rolls around, I'm not really that hungry any more anyway. If I'm trying to lose weight, I'll minimise the dinner, or even (occasionally) skip it entirely. 1000 calorie days are totally doable this way. If I'm not trying to lose weight, I'll "pig out" at dinner, but that'll really be my only meal.

I like pigging out. I just shouldn't do it that often. I can't stand NEVER pigging out. But I'm happy to do it only once in a while, and it seems to satisfy me for quite a while after that. Maybe every month or two, I'll eat around 4000 calories in a day. It's truly a bizarre sight, because I can out-eat almost anyone when I'm in that mode. And then have desert.

Back when I "listened" to what you're "supposed to do", I was gaining weight. Why? Well, let's start with breakfast, which I ate because you're "suppose to". And eating makes me hungry. Add in "recreational nibbling". And so on. All of which I don't really miss. I'm actually quite happy to have my one (largish) meal a day and 1-2 small snacks.

I never eat "diet" products. I eat all the fatty stuff, etc. I'd rather eat less of what I like than more of what I don't.

Cooking is also a bit of an appetite killer. You smell it the whole time, and that sort-of satisfies you.

Stay away from MSG-laden foods. They increase hunger.

But really, it's about total calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna66 View Post
    The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn. "Starvation mode" is bullshit. "Low-carb high fat only" or vice versa is bullshit. "Superfoods" are bullshit. "You can only lose weight if you exercise" is bullshit.

Google "TDEE calculator" and use the one called TDEEcalculator.net (it's free unlike other search results). Put in your age, height, weight and activity level and it will tell you how many calories you burn every day just by existing. This is called your Total Daily Expenditure Estimate. Of course it cannot be absolutely 100% accurate, but it'll be roughly correct within about 50 calories or so.

Then eat fewer calories than that. And don't guess your calories, measure everything you eat properly. And you'll lose weight, absolutely guaranteed. And of course you can exercise to burn a couple hundred extra calories every day, but it's not necessary if you don't want to. I didn't.

You can eat whatever you like as long as it's fewer calories than you burn. I lost 35 pounds eating chocolate every day and fast food every weekend (but making sure it was below my calorie limit). It was great! And I have now maintained my target weight for almost a year eating whatever I liked as long as it wasn't more than the amount of calories I've burned. Google "Twinkie diet". A nutrition professor wanted to prove that the only thing relevant to weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn, so he ate nothing but Twinkies and other "unhealthy" snacks for 10 weeks, and made sure he was eating fewer calories than he burned, and he lost 27 pounds.

Calories in, calories out, that's all it is. I felt really "free" when I found that out. I no longer had to worry about protein and carbs and fat and "healthy" foods or expensive foods or denying myself things I really love. I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I stayed under my calorie limit. It's really awesome and it totally works. Enjoy!

Thanks

protein shakes are fucking garbage. eat nothing but raw fruits and veggies for a few weeks and you'll look the best you've ever looked in your life.

Curious Guest
    Thanks

I'm strongly against low calorie diets, I had eating disorder and I know it can easily end up bad. I like this site , diet plans here are not extreme and kinda working.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,846 Times in 10,251 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I, personally, do an intermittent fasting. Mostly due to IBS, acid reflux

I don't believe in calorie counting.

I try to eat nutritiously, & not go too overboard.
    Characterize people by their actions, & you'll never be fooled by their words.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,877 Times in 5,465 Posts

OP get on www. bodybuilding dot com.

They will have much more detailed info about eating efficiently for workout plans, and calorie counting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12