Thread: NY Health Insurance Recommendations

Thanks

Default NY Health Insurance Recommendations

Anyone have any suggestions for good companies? I'd have to pay the premium in it's entirety, I presume. ObamaCare is administered by the state, and it's a nightmare. So no thank you...And hopefully, I won't qualify with NYC stripper income anyhow.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,653 Posts

Default Re: NY Health Insurance Recommendations

You definitely won't qualify. I'm looking for some myself but every time I look it's like 500/month for the crappiest package!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arielbriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't make nearly as much money as you do but I was hoping for at least a little help, especially based on my last year's income. There was a girl at work yapping away about "Thanks To ObamaCare I get to get my Pelvic Inflammatory Disease treated for free" in between talking about her 3k/month studio, so I thought maybe paying out of pocket all this time was a wrong move on my part and that the new law was on my side after all. Guess not.The lowest plans are like, $420/month. I tried utilizing a subsidy via the state based on my last year's income and let's just say that after being on the phone with them for several hours and trying to deal with them last few months, I'll just pass...so much headache. I'll keep on looking. There is no way to get out of paying a five figure medical bill in a case of a catastrophe, right?

Thanks

Well, medical bills ARE negotiable with a good lawyer and a little stubbornness but you will likely still have to pay an astronomical amount. Getting health insurance is really the safest thing to do even if its 420/month. I am waiting because I am getting married and my fiance's health insurance is amazing lol but do as I say not as I do haha.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arielbriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Someone mentioned getting a 95k medical bill on twitter, so that kind of scared me. I mean, in theory, you can declare bankruptcy, right? But if you've got the money, you can't declare that you're bankrupt. It would mean draining all assets...which would totally suck...Someone suggested OneMedical and HealthFirst, so I might check them out or bite the bullet and take the risk or pay the 400-500/month.

Thanks

Yeah, you def can get a bill that high. Having a baby without insurance is something like 30K. They just make this shit up as they go and it's the insurance's job to "haggle" for you.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,745 Times in 2,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSugarMonster View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for good companies? I'd have to pay the premium in it's entirety, I presume. ObamaCare is administered by the state, and it's a nightmare. So no thank you...And hopefully, I won't qualify with NYC stripper income anyhow.
    Would you consider taking a part-time job in addition to working as a stripper? Some companies provide health insurance for part-time workers. Here are 9 that do:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/S...t-time-workers

Thanks

This is something to consider.

I'm actually looking at HealthFirst bc it seems pretty reasonable premium-wise. The only challenge is getting them to take into account my expenses, such that my net not gross income is raken into account when determining premium amount.

I have a couple of part-time gigs already, so not enough time for a job at Whole Foods. Plus, I have a masters degree (granted, totally useless) but I'd be miserable working at Costco. Lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

LMAO. I've heard it all...a stripper who likely makes 6 figures working at Costco to get health insurance LMAO. I love it. Let me know who you go with. I may just do the same.