Thread: NY Health Insurance Recommendations

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default NY Health Insurance Recommendations

Anyone have any suggestions for good companies? I'd have to pay the premium in it's entirety, I presume. ObamaCare is administered by the state, and it's a nightmare. So no thank you...And hopefully, I won't qualify with NYC stripper income anyhow.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,417 Times in 1,774 Posts

Default Re: NY Health Insurance Recommendations

You definitely won't qualify. I'm looking for some myself but every time I look it's like 500/month for the crappiest package!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arielbriel For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I don't make nearly as much money as you do but I was hoping for at least a little help, especially based on my last year's income. There was a girl at work yapping away about "Thanks To ObamaCare I get to get my Pelvic Inflammatory Disease treated for free" in between talking about her 3k/month studio, so I thought maybe paying out of pocket all this time was a wrong move on my part and that the new law was on my side after all. Guess not.The lowest plans are like, $420/month. I tried utilizing a subsidy via the state based on my last year's income and let's just say that after being on the phone with them for several hours and trying to deal with them last few months, I'll just pass...so much headache. I'll keep on looking. There is no way to get out of paying a five figure medical bill in a case of a catastrophe, right?

Thanks

Well, medical bills ARE negotiable with a good lawyer and a little stubbornness but you will likely still have to pay an astronomical amount. Getting health insurance is really the safest thing to do even if its 420/month. I am waiting because I am getting married and my fiance's health insurance is amazing lol but do as I say not as I do haha.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arielbriel For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Someone mentioned getting a 95k medical bill on twitter, so that kind of scared me. I mean, in theory, you can declare bankruptcy, right? But if you've got the money, you can't declare that you're bankrupt. It would mean draining all assets...which would totally suck...Someone suggested OneMedical and HealthFirst, so I might check them out or bite the bullet and take the risk or pay the 400-500/month.

Thanks

Yeah, you def can get a bill that high. Having a baby without insurance is something like 30K. They just make this shit up as they go and it's the insurance's job to "haggle" for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arielbriel For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,979 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSugarMonster View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for good companies? I'd have to pay the premium in it's entirety, I presume. ObamaCare is administered by the state, and it's a nightmare. So no thank you...And hopefully, I won't qualify with NYC stripper income anyhow.
    Would you consider taking a part-time job in addition to working as a stripper? Some companies provide health insurance for part-time workers. Here are 9 that do:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/S...t-time-workers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

This is something to consider.

I'm actually looking at HealthFirst bc it seems pretty reasonable premium-wise. The only challenge is getting them to take into account my expenses, such that my net not gross income is raken into account when determining premium amount.

I have a couple of part-time gigs already, so not enough time for a job at Whole Foods. Plus, I have a masters degree (granted, totally useless) but I'd be miserable working at Costco. Lol.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

LMAO. I've heard it all...a stripper who likely makes 6 figures working at Costco to get health insurance LMAO. I love it. Let me know who you go with. I may just do the same.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Blog Entries

This shit is stressing me out!

I’ve looked into Christian Healthcare sharing- which doesn’t provide copays, but helps if there is a catastrophe. They are ACA approved. Im also calling insurance brokers.
    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 11-16-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I went in to try to get HealthFirst administered through the city. After all deductions, my income was garbage last year, so I qualify for a pretty good discount. If you are single and making a decent amount of money, above 35-40k after deductions, expect to pay anywhere from $150-350/month in premiums, give or take. As self-employed we can take a lot of deductions which are necessary for our jobs, so that may bring down a certain gross income considerably because stage fees add up (one time I paid around 14k in a year and in nyc, this can be more), as does travel outside of the state during slower seasons to maximize income (I was doing this ALL THE TIME while living in LA), sep-ira/401k contributions, health care expenses if they are used out of hsa, and even health insurance premiums (though I'm not sure if this applies if you get a subsidy), etc. This is not to be taken as advice on my part, it's merely my speaking from my own experience. So please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. For those of you generating six figure incomes even after deductions, health insurance itself can cost as much as $600/month in ny from what I've seen, as it all seems to be sliding scale. However, I'm pretty sure, as self-employed you are able to deduct the monthly insurance premium, reducing your tax burden and thereby negating your expense but you'd need to check with your actual accountant to be sure. Health care bills can run into the six figures, so it might be useful to have insurance in the case of something catastrophic. If you're under 30, there is actually catastrophic insurance for that very purpose. They have plans that include dental and vision, which I thought was nice. I think $600 is the maximum for any insurance though around the city.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Blog Entries

I don’t want to file taxes this year. I probably wouldn’t feel that way if I had a decent accountant. Yes without subsidy it’s about $600!!!! I don’t get sick or need a regular doctor. To be honest, anytime I have a health issue the doctors make it worst. It’s like $80 a month and if you get any bill above $10,000 they pay for the rest. It’s ACA approved so your following the mandate.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Maybe I should look into Christian Healthcare savings too. I dunno. Health insurance is important to me.

I think a lot of dancers don't file taxes, though I don't agree with it because taxes suck for those of us who do. I've paid about 20% of my income before deductions since I've been doing it on my own; 10% of total income when I had an accountant my first year. Either way, it sucks but I feel it's the right thing to do. Who knows if it'll help or bite me in the bum later on down the line.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Would you consider taking a part-time job in addition to working as a stripper? Some companies provide health insurance for part-time workers. Here are 9 that do:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/S...t-time-workers

I think it is worth it to me to get a part time job that provides benefits. Health, dental, 401k, short term disability insurance would be great. I can just cam and pso around the hours. I will make out better in the long run. I have been doing a google search for part time jobs with great benefits and there are quite a few stores around me that have them. I don't live in NY, but the insurance in my state in quite high too. Would I love the retail job? Probably not, but it keeps me out there and gives me a piece of mind/benefits.
    Last edited by LizzyMe; 11-17-2017 at 09:37 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LizzyMe For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Blog Entries

Hi I got a hold of an insurance guy today. I found a policy for about $230, but you have to go through underwriting. I looked at Christian health share which is $115, but there are no benefits unless I meet a deductible of $7500. It would help if something catastrophic happened. I have personally had a million dollar health bill, but I had insurance. I got a form of strep you only get from horses??? Look online for quotes and be ready to have your phone ring constantly. Anyways, look online and you can find insurance that is decent if you don’t have a health issues. DO NOT tell them you are an adult entertainer. I was told WE DONT COVER ADULT ENTERTAINERS (in a snobby voice). I said I was a student and it never was an issue. Honesty sure comes with a price-Shezus.
    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 11-17-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

When I was on the phone with ny state in order to utilize my subsidy for the year, we got as far as "Who is your employer?" I told them I was self-employed working as an independent contractor, but they still needed to know who my employer was. I went in person to fill out paperwork for HealthFirst and the lady seemed ok with self-employment, so hopefully this'll all work out. This upcoming year, I really do want to incorporate in case it'll help legitimize this business for me a bit, in a way that does not deviate from the truth of what I do for a living but at the same time, does not go into specifics.

If you were seeking health insurance premium help from a Christian organization, I could see how they would not cover adult entertainment. Obviously, there is a conflict of interest there.

As far as the crappy deductible, I have experience with that actually in CA with Kaiser. I had Kaiser for two years, during on of which when I made exceptional money and so had a monthly premium based on income which amounted to around $350/month. I decided to do some traveling that year to South America, and wanted to get all of my recommended shots before going. I had to pay for all of this out of pocket. Despite the high premium, my insurance covered 0%. When I moved back to LA and my dancer income was cut in half, I got my health insurance premium reduced to approximately $250/month. Everything was still out of pocket until a $5500 deductible was met.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Blog Entries

If you don’t have pre-existing conditions you can get good insurance for about $200 something. On the exchange I was look at $550 before the subsidy. If you already file taxes and can get a subsidy; I can see why you would go that route.

I don’t want to file taxes this year since I know I should, but my income will be so irregular. I don’t want to have to worry about filing quarterlies while I’m trying to focus on other things. So buying private insurance off the exchange means I don’t have to file taxes to get the subsidy.

I thought about skipping insurance, but medical bills are one of the top reasons people file bankruptcy.

I would like to get long term insurance, but I think it would be way too expensive. Most people can only afford if they get it through work. Insurance companies are a bitch. My aunt is a doctor and filed a claim with short-term insurance and they weren’t wanting to cover her accident. Relying so much on our body it would be wise to disability insurance. I know the cost depends on the occupation. People with jobs that are physical usually pay a lot for it. You have to file taxes in order to claim how much you make.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I don't think pre-existing conditions matter post Obamacare.

It is about $550 off the marketplace in NYC, if you do not qualify for any subsidies. My income is all over the place too but I asked if I could use yearly, and they seemed ok with it, at least for now. Landlords have always given me flack, so I'm actually surprised. Any further probing from anyone wanting to know and all of a sudden there are all sorts of unfounded speculations. I've been burnt out, so haven't gone into work for literally three weeks. So yeah, it's irregular alright.

As far as quarterlies, I don't think you don't have to file anything that I know of. For the last three years, I've simply sent in three checks with slips off the irs website indicating what check is to be applied for what quarter payment. Then, I pay the remainder of my balance when I actually file, or otherwise get a refund if I have a bad year. I didn't do this one year, and had to pay penalties.

I worry about the irregularities of the business to warrant my tax inaccurate, just because there are so much variation depending on how much I work, when, where and what else I am doing to either supplement and/or deviate from my work in time or cash. Hopefully, all will be ok though.

Also, before Obamacare, health care bills were actually the number one reason for bankruptcy but most people who found themselves in a position of inability to pay actually had health insurance that was insufficient in it's coverage. Hence, the reform. With the reform, we now have caps on how much can be paid out of pocket for those with health insurance, after the deductible is applied. Many health insurances have a $7500 annual cap for how much an individual may be forced to pay per year in case of a serious illness. There may or may not be a cap mandated by the federal government on each individual carrier but $7500/yr sounds about average. Yet, health care remains unreasonably expensive.

There is no reason an ibuprofein should cost $18 a pill if administered in a hospital, let alone all sort of other inflated costs and surcharges. But then again, whatever upsell mentality pervades the strip club (as we all know and are well-versed in), same pervades our health care system. In America, everything is a business. I don't think health care should be treated like luxury entertainment for people with disposable incomes, but it is what it is. Health insurance companies are still 'raking it in' but now, the federal and state government is subsidizing them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 566 Posts

Medical bills are definitely negotiable. When I had my daughter, thirteen years ago, the total for the birthing center and the midwife came to just under $8,000. Because the midwife was "out of network" I had to pay most of it. Since I had a steady income, she let me pay it over time without interest. Same for the birthing center (included in the $8,000). They let me pay them over time since I was cash only. I should say, cash is king with docs.

My current medical insurance is not so hot. So, most of the time, I just tell my doc I'm self pay and they give me a 70% discount. A lot of times, if something would have to be put under the deductible, it comes in way cheaper for me to just pay it and forget it than mess with the insurance. I do have a cafeteria plan at work, so I can have money deducted from my paycheck, pre-tax, and put into the cafeteria plan. Then I use that to pay those things that are really on the deductible.

HTH
    Z

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Blog Entries

I’m doing medi-share it’s not health insurance, but I think it will work for me. It’s a health share. It’ll at least cover a catastrophe; however, if they found out I was a dancer they’d probably use that as an excuse to not cover me.

Good luck. I think unless I get a pert-time job I’m up a creek.
    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 11-29-2017 at 09:35 PM.