Thread: best macbook for camming?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Dizzy best macbook for camming?

I'm looking to buy a macbook so I can travel and cam. I was thinking of getting a macbook pro(the base model), or the regular lightweight macbook, both are $1299. The macbook pro is supposedly the fastest, but the regular macbook is more lightweight. Then there is the Macbook air, which is the least expensive, but is it worth buying for camming? What are your experiences using a macbook for camming?

What webcam do you use with a mac?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Re: best macbook for camming?

I currently use a macbook pro and I love it. I'm used to having gaming pcs but I grew up on Macs so I love both. Graphics are beautiful and speed is great. It will definitely last you many years without needing to upgrade it much, if at all. It is perfect for camming imo and I've never had any issues while performing.
    My webcam is the Logitech Pro https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/12131?crid=34
    It's a great webcam and I always get compliments on how crisp my streaming quality is. Happy shopping!
    Last edited by Wonder_Bra; 10-09-2017 at 08:53 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonder_Bra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

I use a Macbook Pro from 2014 to cam on Streamate, and it works perfectly. I am upgrading to a desktop PC for camming though because I want to edit video clips faster and I'm tired of having so much of my hard drive filled with my camming stuff.

Have you looked at Windows laptops too? I would say if you only plan to use the laptop/macbook for camming and nothing else, it might be better to just get a regular laptop for the price. However, if you really prefer MacOS or need a macbook for other reasons, get one

**EDIT** Also make sure that the current 2017 macbook pros have the necessary peripherals you need for camming! Make sure it has enough USB ports, maybe an ethernet port (or thunderbolt port + adapter) if WiFi is bad, HDMI port if you need, etc. Mine has all of those, but I don't know what the new macbooks offer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to innocentindian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 479 Posts

I love my MacBook Pro (2016 model)-- 15 in. 2.6GHz i7. Quiet and light, plus keeps up with the SM Broadcaster--I have never had trouble. Granted, I don't do video clips, just straight camming with it.

The 13-in MacBook Pro is much less bulky and I almost got that one, so I understand why the 13 inch is appealing for travel. I would say MacBook Pro over the Air or MacBook simply based on speed. My previous MacBook Pro lasted 5 years.

My cam is Logitech c920. Sharp quality but washes me out a bit - lighting and camera adjustments can fix.
    It's kinda hard to be turned on when you know your internet, utilities, etc don't accept dicks as a form of payment!
    ~ Marina Starr

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Via Flaminia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by innocentindian View Post
    I use a Macbook Pro from 2014 to cam on Streamate, and it works perfectly. I am upgrading to a desktop PC for camming though because I want to edit video clips faster and I'm tired of having so much of my hard drive filled with my camming stuff.

Have you looked at Windows laptops too? I would say if you only plan to use the laptop/macbook for camming and nothing else, it might be better to just get a regular laptop for the price. However, if you really prefer MacOS or need a macbook for other reasons, get one

**EDIT** Also make sure that the current 2017 macbook pros have the necessary peripherals you need for camming! Make sure it has enough USB ports, maybe an ethernet port (or thunderbolt port + adapter) if WiFi is bad, HDMI port if you need, etc. Mine has all of those, but I don't know what the new macbooks offer.
    Ive always had windows I’m tired of them,they get viruses easily and are constantly doing long tedious updates.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jasmine22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent

I bought my macbook pro in 2013 and I use a logitech cam and it works just fine. I thought the only difference between the pro and the air was the built in disc drive on the pro but I could be wrong. It's cool because you don't need anything special to split cam as macs just do it automatically when you open up a new site. I haven't been able to use adultwork's camsite because it only works on windows I think.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Splendid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

I've used a 2014 Mac book air, 2015 Mac book air, and 2015 Mac book pro... all i5 processors..... awesome laptops.... hate using windows now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMoore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

I use a MacBook Pro 2015,( Retina, 15 inch) 2.5 GHZ Intel Core i7. It works really great for camming. I also use a 930 Logitech cam. I cam primarily on SM and use the Broadcaster with Chrome. I rarely have issues with this set up, unless it is a day when most models including myself are having tech issues on SM. I do tend to avoid most of the glitches thou. I downloaded the app Logitech Camera Settings and I adjust my settings for the cam and I also adjust the settings on the SM Broadcaster too. Just make sure you uncheck the auto focus box in your Logitech Camera Settings App.

I am just getting into clip making right now.

Would you ladies who use a Mac share some of your knowledge for creating clips on a Mac? I am fairly new at it, so any good tips would be appreciated.
    Last edited by LizzyMe; 10-11-2017 at 10:54 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LizzyMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Innocent

Quote Originally Posted by LizzyMe View Post
    I use a MacBook Pro 2015,( Retina, 15 inch) 2.5 GHZ Intel Core i7. It works really great for camming. I also use a 930 Logitech cam. I cam primarily on SM and use the Broadcaster with Chrome. I rarely have issues with this set up, unless it is a day when most models including myself are having tech issues on SM. I do tend to avoid most of the glitches thou. I downloaded the app Logitech Camera Settings and I adjust my settings for the cam and I also adjust the settings on the SM Broadcaster too. Just make sure you uncheck the auto focus box in your Logitech Camera Settings App.

I am just getting into clip making right now.

Would you ladies who use a Mac share some of your knowledge for creating clips on a Mac? I am fairly new at it, so any good tips would be appreciated.
    What I do is I record everything on photobooth (different videos for different actions/angles etc.) or I use my phone if it's something I can't record on my laptop. I then take all my clips and slap them into iMovie. Definitely look into some iMovie tutorials, but for the most part it's pretty straight forward and you don't need all the fancy effects that come with the application. It's basically just 1) upload your clips to the application and 2) drag and drop what clips/parts of clips you want, in the order that you want them. I think the fanciest I've gotten was slowing a clip down just a touch to make a time requirement for a video (I never slow anything down beyond maybe 85% of the original clip speed because then it starts to look obviously slow motion and the audio gets slowed down).

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Splendid For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Following this! I'm using a 2012 macbook pro I bought for school once upon a time and want to upgrade sometime after xmas this year I think. Still gets the job done but it has it's laggy moments and i'm a SM girl so i like da good tech specs.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SophieEmerson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default CPU?

Lately when streaming through the SM Broadcast I notice my CPU shoots from 40% before going live, and then when I go live it shoots up to 70%, and then when I get offered a show or go into one almost always goes to 98% and sometimes it even is at 100% during my shows. I have a macbook pro laptop 2012 with 8gb of ram and 2.5 GHz. Can anyone help me and does anyone know if CPU resally affects your $$ and traffic, if CPU does matter, what does it do? Like what does havig higher CPU and lower internet speed do vs. Having good internet and CPU? Does it affect anything? Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,531 Times in 4,178 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Re: CPU?

When your computer runs at those percentages it means its overheating and working too hard. It will cause your hardware as well as certain programs to run slower too. Its not a good thing at all. Also 2.5 megahertz isnt thay fast and using the SMBroadcast appears to be too much for your computer to handle. Try a different encoder. As long as you can stream at 1280x720 at 30 fps and and fast upload speeds that can register at around 1500 bitrate you will have good placement. Some people seem to think that the broadcaster is the only way to make money. Its not. You just need to find the encoder that works best for you. One other thing to think about is this, it may be time to get your laptop cleaned. Packed in dirt can clog it up causing it to run hot.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thank you for your quick reqponse, does this result in shorter shows / people getting kicked out, and less traffic or does that have nothing to do with it ? Thank you

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by macgirlox View Post
    thank you for your quick reqponse, does this result in shorter shows / people getting kicked out, and less traffic or does that have nothing to do with it ? Thank you
    It definitely could have an impact on the show quality and if they're willing to stay connected. Many customers wont bother complaining. They'll just go on to the next person until they find a smooth stream. But on the other hand this Streamate we're talking about...things fall apart on that site even when you got it together.

Before you can determine if its them or you, you'll have to try those other options etc. Try a different encoder first. Get your laptop cleaned. I prefer to pay someone else to do it. Make sure your upload speed is at leadt 3mbps (megabits per second) it measures bandwith and the speed that data is transmitted. If you cant do all of those things try streaming at a lower resolution instead of 1280x720 at 1500 bit rate go down until the cpu isnt as high. But your placement will drop. You gotta do what you gotta do.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

I moved her CPU questions to this board because I think she'd get better feedback from those who use macs to stream.

Thanks

I have the early 2013 MBP, 15" retina display with i7 and 8GB RAM, 2.4GHz. I love it. I also love being able to take my laptop to any authorized apple to get warranty work done. This is insanely important when travel camming as Apple will only take a couple days to fix it. with a PC laptop, you might have to ship it somewhere for them to do warranty work and shipping a lone can be expensive. Most companies will only cover shipping if you're inside the US. One of my friends, it took 6 weeks for HP to fix her laptop under warranty. I will always stick with a MBP when it comes to my travel camming laptop. for a desktop at home, PC all the way.

download the app "memory optimizer pro." it'll help with the available memory while you stream

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memo...75804897?mt=12

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggminx For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would buy a used 2015 souped-up Macbook Pro Retina 15" for about $1500 on Craigslist. Or $1800-2000 from a verified refurbished dealer. It will have better specs than buying a new base model. You want to get the most RAM and highest processor speed you can afford, and then the most storage space after that. I suggest 16GB RAM, a 2.5 GHz (or higher) Quad-Core Intel i7 chip, 500GB SSD, and a dedicated Nvidia or AMD Radeon Graphics card. Don't get a Macbook or Macbook Air, they're not fast enough. They won't be able to handle intensive CPU use. Streamate is really draining, so is split-camming and video editing.

I've bought many laptops off Craigslist, I know it can be anxiety-inducing (what if you buy a lemon?!) but there are ways to inspect your hardware and see if the seller is being straight with you. Let me know if you want a checklist for buying used.

Also really important: the fastest internet you can afford! I pay Comcast $60/mo for 150 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. I also use an ARRIS Motorola Surfboard SB6183 modem and a NETGEAR Nighthawk R700 AC1900 router, which bumps my speeds a bit too. Wired connections are always faster than wi-fi, and especially if your speed is slow, you're better off with a long ethernet cable.

APPS, SOFTWARE & PERIPHERALS

The stuff in bold is what I personally use. Other recs may be out of date, try at your own risk! Some is professional or prosumer grade, learning curve can be steep.

Webcam: Logitech C920 or C930e. I want to try the new Razer Ringlight!

Streaming & Screencasts: SM Broadcaster, Skype, Facetime, Logitech Camera Settings, Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), Wirecast, Screenflow, VLC Media Player, CamMask, CamTwist, Camtasia, iGlasses, ManyCam, CocoaSplit, Adobe FMLE Encoder, Twitch, Ecamm Call Recorder, Apowersoft Mac Screen Recorder, Debut, Adobe Presenter

Video Recording & Editing: Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Apple Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Handbrake, Avid Media Composer, Sony Vegas, Lightworks, Blender, Photobooth, Quicktime

Sound Recording & Editing: Audacity, Audio Hijack, Loopback, Soundflower, Soundsource, Apple Logic Pro X, Avid Pro, Ableton Live

Other: Photoshop, Gifbrewery, Blue Yeti mic, Wirecutter for equipment recs, Lynda.com for software tutorials (you can often get free access through your local public library!)

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissFiasco For This Useful Post: