Thread: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,788 Times in 2,286 Posts

Default Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

if you live in Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Washington, you will need a passport or some other form of identification besides your driver's license, because driver's licenses from these states will no longer be acceptable at TSA checkpoints. This will be starting on Jan. 22, 2018.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Default Re: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

what the fuck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopcorn For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,447 Posts

Default Re: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

Bureaucrats. They don't like the drivers licenses issued in those states.

Old news.

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...censes-in-2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

6. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,054 Times in 3,267 Posts

It is just LUNACY!

Thanks

Another reason I hate Missouri.
    Would you believe me if I said I do it because I like it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,060 Posts

Luckily I don't live in any of those states but that is ridiculous, a passport required for flying within your own country.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,238 Times in 4,070 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Once these states update their ids passports will won't be required. In Pennsylvania the state is saying that it will cost 30 million dollars to become Real ID compliant? I don't understand that figure. This wont really effect me but why would it cost so much to update id's and why haven't they dine thst by now? I've had a drivers license in 4 different states since I started driving. Out of all of those states PA is the only one who hasnt gotten it together.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,783 Times in 1,629 Posts

This is only the beginning folks. Orwellian society in progress.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScarletKitten For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

I drivers license is supposed to be permission to operate a motor vehicle in the state that issued it. If the federal government wants to institute a national ID card, it should admit it, and do it.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 11-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,564 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    if you live in Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Washington, you will need a passport or some other form of identification besides your driver's license, because driver's licenses from these states will no longer be acceptable at TSA checkpoints. This will be starting on Jan. 22, 2018.
    Big Brother has arrived....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

Thanks
    Thanked 13,909 Times in 7,306 Posts
    My Mood
    Doh

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKitten View Post
    This is only the beginning folks. Orwellian society in progress.
    ^^^ ^

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I drivers license is supposed to be permission to operate a motor vehicle in the state that issued it. If the federal government wants to institute a national ID card, it should admit it, and do it.
    Yep ^
    I knew this..
    Last year I got a passport & was told this..
    Y'all know it's eventually going tb all the states, right?
    And, right now it's for flying, I say it'll be set up that you have to show it for crossing state in a vehicle

Thanks
    My Mood
    Drunk

I have a enhanced license in WA, they have had them for a while and they ARE compliant with the new rules...its just that they are considered optional - and are used because we have alot of people that go into canada for work so it also counts as a passport - they cost extra and arnt the " standard" license. that said WA is an extension state so they technically have until October of 2018 as opposed to late January - so a few more months for the state to standardize something that works, or people to get the enhanced ones
    Hatred does not cease by hatred but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

" What is Reality? An icicle forming in fire."
    -Dogen Zenji

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morrigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh

Morrie!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Boosting passport sales -- possible motive? Doesn't explain why they're singling out specific states, though, and I can't imagine they don't make enough as is. I spent $100 or so this past summer getting my passport renewed

24. The Following User Says Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    ^^^ ^

Yep ^
    I knew this..
    And, right now it's for flying, I say it'll be set up that you have to show it for crossing state in a vehicle
    Wait till they get driverless cars. The government will control when and where you travel. The government will tell you it makes you "safer".

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh

Arrow Re: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

Pokes!
    TX residents have Snakes!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh

Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    Boosting passport sales -- possible motive? Doesn't explain why they're singling out specific states, though, and I can't imagine they don't make enough as is. I spent $100 or so this past summer getting my passport renewed
    Nah, eventually they'll do it for all states, they just want everyone 'registered' in some way/controlled

Thanks
    Thanked 8,112 Times in 2,854 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    ^^^ ^

Yep ^
    I knew this..
    Wtf... ridiculous, but I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Drunk

I almost wish it was mandatory for Americans, possibly as part of a pre-collage package to spend a few months to a year overseas touring.. the whole off year to travel is pretty common thing in other parts of the world and it really seems to have great affects on being aware of and understanding other cultures that Yanks just dont get. think it would do wonders as an education tool.

that said.. I wouldn't be shocked if some more funding Is something that the feds could be after in the long run. In WA, an enhanced license for a six-year renewal costs around $110... i hear they MAY drop that down to close to what the standard $54/6year regular license .. so its at the moment about the same as a passport renewal

big difference is that while it can ACT as a passport, its on a much more limited scale: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Boniare, St. Eustatius and Saba, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Dutch Caribbean, Grenada, Jamaica, Mexico, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Turks and Caicos.

so to basically travel anywhere outside the north west hemisphere you will need a passport anyway... so in the long run nothings really going to change for most people once the states simply get around to updating their systems.
    Hatred does not cease by hatred but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

" What is Reality? An icicle forming in fire."
    -Dogen Zenji