Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,493 Posts

Default Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

if you live in Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Washington, you will need a passport or some other form of identification besides your driver's license, because driver's licenses from these states will no longer be acceptable at TSA checkpoints. This will be starting on Jan. 22, 2018.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Default Re: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

what the fuck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkPopcorn For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,693 Posts

Default Re: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

Bureaucrats. They don't like the drivers licenses issued in those states.

Old news.

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...censes-in-2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

6. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 21,948 Times in 3,707 Posts

It is just LUNACY!

Thanks

Another reason I hate Missouri.
    Would you believe me if I said I do it because I like it?

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,630 Times in 1,965 Posts

Luckily I don't live in any of those states but that is ridiculous, a passport required for flying within your own country.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,362 Times in 4,757 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Once these states update their ids passports will won't be required. In Pennsylvania the state is saying that it will cost 30 million dollars to become Real ID compliant? I don't understand that figure. This wont really effect me but why would it cost so much to update id's and why haven't they dine thst by now? I've had a drivers license in 4 different states since I started driving. Out of all of those states PA is the only one who hasnt gotten it together.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,502 Times in 1,841 Posts

This is only the beginning folks. Orwellian society in progress.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScarletKitten For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

I drivers license is supposed to be permission to operate a motor vehicle in the state that issued it. If the federal government wants to institute a national ID card, it should admit it, and do it.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 11-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,513 Times in 3,360 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    if you live in Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Washington, you will need a passport or some other form of identification besides your driver's license, because driver's licenses from these states will no longer be acceptable at TSA checkpoints. This will be starting on Jan. 22, 2018.
    Big Brother has arrived....
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,774 Times in 7,700 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKitten View Post
    This is only the beginning folks. Orwellian society in progress.
    ^^^ ^

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I drivers license is supposed to be permission to operate a motor vehicle in the state that issued it. If the federal government wants to institute a national ID card, it should admit it, and do it.
    Yep ^
    I knew this..
    Last year I got a passport & was told this..
    Y'all know it's eventually going tb all the states, right?
    And, right now it's for flying, I say it'll be set up that you have to show it for crossing state in a vehicle

20. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Drunk

I have a enhanced license in WA, they have had them for a while and they ARE compliant with the new rules...its just that they are considered optional - and are used because we have alot of people that go into canada for work so it also counts as a passport - they cost extra and arnt the " standard" license. that said WA is an extension state so they technically have until October of 2018 as opposed to late January - so a few more months for the state to standardize something that works, or people to get the enhanced ones
    Hatred does not cease by hatred but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

" What is Reality? An icicle forming in fire."
    -Dogen Zenji

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morrigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Morrie!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 533 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

Boosting passport sales -- possible motive? Doesn't explain why they're singling out specific states, though, and I can't imagine they don't make enough as is. I spent $100 or so this past summer getting my passport renewed

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    ^^^ ^

Yep ^
    I knew this..
    And, right now it's for flying, I say it'll be set up that you have to show it for crossing state in a vehicle
    Wait till they get driverless cars. The government will control when and where you travel. The government will tell you it makes you "safer".

28. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Arrow Re: Residents in these states will need a passport for flying anywhere in the US

Pokes!
    TX residents have Snakes!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    Boosting passport sales -- possible motive? Doesn't explain why they're singling out specific states, though, and I can't imagine they don't make enough as is. I spent $100 or so this past summer getting my passport renewed
    Nah, eventually they'll do it for all states, they just want everyone 'registered' in some way/controlled

31. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,124 Times in 3,102 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    ^^^ ^

Yep ^
    I knew this..
    Wtf... ridiculous, but I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Drunk

I almost wish it was mandatory for Americans, possibly as part of a pre-collage package to spend a few months to a year overseas touring.. the whole off year to travel is pretty common thing in other parts of the world and it really seems to have great affects on being aware of and understanding other cultures that Yanks just dont get. think it would do wonders as an education tool.

that said.. I wouldn't be shocked if some more funding Is something that the feds could be after in the long run. In WA, an enhanced license for a six-year renewal costs around $110... i hear they MAY drop that down to close to what the standard $54/6year regular license .. so its at the moment about the same as a passport renewal

big difference is that while it can ACT as a passport, its on a much more limited scale: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Boniare, St. Eustatius and Saba, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Dutch Caribbean, Grenada, Jamaica, Mexico, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Turks and Caicos.

so to basically travel anywhere outside the north west hemisphere you will need a passport anyway... so in the long run nothings really going to change for most people once the states simply get around to updating their systems.

-Dogen Zenji

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 536 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Blog Entries

Why? It’s a good idea to have a passport, but they are expensive.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Drunk

basically what the thing is that federal regulations changed and while MOST states have updated drivers license already that contains more of the information on them, some states haven't updated yet so additional information is required and pass ports are the most complete document that has all that info, wont need them once the states release updated IDs. though like i said before in WA you just have to get an enhanced license and it works without the need.

though yeah, i think most people should have pass ports, if anything because i believe firmly that people. namely us in the US should travel over seas more, usually between HS and collage like is common in most parts of the world- to sort of educate and teach people about the world first hand and a better grasp on culture and open up ideas of seeing the world and how to approach things that may be different than were use to. internet and friends, and books dont do the world justice and leads to a fairly innocent ignorance about greater humanity, would be really useful in areas where said ignorance historically become xenophobic

-Dogen Zenji

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Morrigan For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,493 Posts

Ironically, when I went to the post office to apply for my passport, I had to show my state driver's license for photo id.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
    basically what the thing is that federal regulations changed and while MOST states have updated drivers license already that contains more of the information on them, some states haven't updated yet so additional information is required and pass ports are the most complete document that has all that info, wont need them once the states release updated IDs. though like i said before in WA you just have to get an enhanced license and it works without the need.

though yeah, i think most people should have pass ports, if anything because i believe firmly that people. namely us in the US should travel over seas more, usually between HS and collage like is common in most parts of the world- to sort of educate and teach people about the world first hand and a better grasp on culture and open up ideas of seeing the world and how to approach things that may be different than were use to. internet and friends, and books dont do the world justice and leads to a fairly innocent ignorance about greater humanity, would be really useful in areas where said ignorance historically become xenophobic
    SO annoying, I remember reading an article about this like A YEAR OR TWO ago (I live in PA and my passport expires in Jan, so I'll need to get mine renewed ASAP). If these states haven't updated their DLs/state IDs by now, KNOWING this was coming - I don't expect them to anytime soon smh.

Sidebar - if you're someone in one of these states without an updated ID and don't have a passport or can't afford one right now, don't panic about traveling domestically. TSA WILL let you travel without an ID if they can verify your identity. Take any identifying information you can with you to the airport (debit card & bank statement, utility bill, school ID, expired ID, etc.) You'll need to allow for extra time at the airport before your flight if going this route though.

My little brother lost his DL the last time he visited (smh). I had him print out his bank statement and cell phone bill. He presented those, they took him in a back room to answer a bunch of identity verification questions, and soon enough he was on his way. See TSA article below - dated 2013, but the info is still valid...

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/04/09/...fly-without-id

39. The Following User Says Thank You to JuicyJ215646 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

I wonder if this affects persons who use private jets.

Thanks

Big Brother is watching...
    “Well-behaved women seldom make history.” ~ L.T. Ulrich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast