Thread: Documentary photo project about stripping & adult performers in Louisiana & NYC.Hello

Curious Guest
    Thanks

WWW Documentary photo project about stripping & adult performers in Louisiana & NYC.Hello

Hello all!

I am a photography student in NYC (female) next month I will be in Louisiana for a study away trip with my college. I will be in New Orleans and Lafayette the 14th-28th. While there I want to start a photo project based around the daily lives of dancers & adult performers. Since I am also in NYC I was wondering if anyone from here would be interested in being involved. Due to the nature of the subject I was wondering if any of you ladies could offer advice or suggestions.

Does anyone know of someone who would be interested in this type of project? How difficult would it be to get access as a young female (23?) should I email the clubs or find independent dancers!? If you are interested in being photographed by me in either NYC or Louisiana donít hesitate to check out my work on Instagram: @diva_martinez_ and send a message through there or on here.

If this post belongs elsewhere on the site please let me know!

Thank you all in advance for reading and offering any advice on the matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,384 Times in 3,608 Posts

Default Re: Documentary photo project about stripping & adult performers in Louisiana & NYC.H

Ha. Haha. Good luck with that No club is going to allow you to come in and take photos for privacy reasons. 90% of strippers do not want their photo taken at work even if it's a dressing room selfie. Customers get kicked out if they so much as point a phone camera at the stage.

The only advice I'm gonna give you is that you really should pick another project theme. This whole 'wanting to do documentaries on sex workers' thing is getting really played out. I say this all the time: we aren't zoo animals. We don't generally like non-sex workers hanging around our place of business trying to see what it's like. We are just people at work, just like a waitress or a banker.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,128 Times in 2,586 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Default Re: Documentary photo project about stripping & adult performers in Louisiana & NYC.H

Sorry but I don't understand your thesis at all. What is the point of photographing sex workers for your documentary? There are so many photography thesis out there for you such as "What happens to homeless youths on the streets of NYC?" to " Exploring 21st century Ball culture thur the modern lens."Yet,all of you people want to do thesis on sex workers? There are other communities out there who need documentaries to explore them more. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by groovydeadite View Post
    Hello all!

I am a photography student in NYC (female) next month I will be in Louisiana for a study away trip with my college. I will be in New Orleans and Lafayette the 14th-28th. While there I want to start a photo project based around the daily lives of dancers & adult performers. Since I am also in NYC I was wondering if anyone from here would be interested in being involved. Due to the nature of the subject I was wondering if any of you ladies could offer advice or suggestions.

Does anyone know of someone who would be interested in this type of project? How difficult would it be to get access as a young female (23?) should I email the clubs or find independent dancers!? If you are interested in being photographed by me in either NYC or Louisiana don’t hesitate to check out my work on Instagram: @diva_martinez_ and send a message through there or on here.

If this post belongs elsewhere on the site please let me know!

Thank you all in advance for reading and offering any advice on the matter.
    Wolves may lurk in every guise / Now as then, 'tis simple truth / Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonaDiabla For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just no... why dancers of all people. Sex workers are mocked and discriminated against enough we don’t need to be the subject of “projects” either.
    Btw you being female doesn’t make it any better lol

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IvoryDoll For This Useful Post:

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 819 Posts

a stripper (key word) from one of my clubs did something like this. it looked pretty cool. but no one is going to let some random chick take pics around the club and dressing room. you will get kicked out just like every other person who tries to take pics of us.

the only way you could possibly make this happen is to become a stripper for the sake of your "project" or whatever. but even then i highly doubt anyone's going to want the new girl taking pics of them when it's obvious you're not one of us and just some random student who is trying to be artsy. maybe try paying some sex workers if you plan to profit off their labor and experience? instead of just thinking you can waltz in and document us for free because you're female.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,797 Times in 4,021 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

If you mean "daily lives," like what dancers do outside of work, the pictures are going to be fairly boring, as we are just like anyone else on our days off. If you mean "daily lives," like in the club, everyone else is right that no club is going to allow that, even if you managed to find a dancer or two who was fine with it.

Your best bet for finding anyone, to photograph outside the club, would be to go to some clubs, pay the dancers of your choice to chat with you while you explain your project and be prepared for mostly rejection. But, you never know.

I'm going to close this thread in the meantime, and if anyone on here wants to participate or more info, they can PM the OP.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post: