Thread: Saving on makeup

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Default Saving on makeup

Just some things I've learned and thought was nice to share.

Before you buy something ask yourself if you already have something similar, I had way too much red and berry lip colors that are all similar, but have stopped buying more.

Take ADVANTAGE of Sephora and Ulta rewards. I hoard my Sephora points and have saved so much waiting for good rewards to come up. Usually I will make a list of things I need and when I see a product I get it.

Ask friends/post on Facebook ask if anyone has makeup they don't want anymore, it's worth a shot Last time I posted this my sister commented and next time I saw her I got a full bag.

@makeupdupes.x on Instagram posts makeup dupes and cheap alternatives to high end brands.

Lookout for coupons and deals at drugstores, if a product I use very often (like foundation) is having a deal like buy one get $x off I will stock up.

Google Chrome has a free extension called Honey. Whenever you checkout on a website online it lets you run every coupon code possible through the website and tests them all for the best deal. I always check the usual coupon websites too just in case (like retailmenot) but it's worked awesome for me so far.

Sephora will usually give you samples of pretty much anything. Also they let you make returns within I think 2 weeks even if the product is used. So if you need a fun color of something (lipstick, neon eyeliner, white mascara whatever) just buy it from Sephora, use it the one time you need it and return it the next day.

You can use small amounts of black eyeshadow to make lip colors darker. I bought one red lipstick I love that's bright red and just add black eyeshadow when I want a darker shade instead of buying several different shades (you have to mix it really good on your lips or it looks like you literally just put eyeshadow on top of ur lipstick lmfao but it works)

If you use a high end liquideyeliner when it runs out, try saving the brush that comes with it and dipping in a drugstore eyeliner. (I like elf and wetnwild) For example I love the brush that comes with my $20 Kat Von D eyeliner but the actual product is a splurge for me so I save it and reuse with drugstore liner.
    ^^Also works for mascara. But wash the brushes.

Watch out for when beauty bloggers have buyers remorse sales or post promo coupons for some stores

If a pressed eyeshadow or something else breaks/shatters or your 3 year old decides to play with her mom's makeup and grinds it up 🙄 you can add rubbing alcohol and smooth it out good as new.

hope these helped and if anyone has any others would love to see them!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Piper328 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,836 Times in 3,499 Posts

Default Re: Saving on makeup

YouTube has tons of tutorials on how to extend the life of makeup.

Dollar stores often carry small plastic containers you can mix & match makeup in. I also re-use old palettes because some of them are nice.

I personally hit up thrift stores to get make up bags or caddies to organize my makeup. (A LOT of people donate nice new items to Goodwill rather than tote junk to another home far away.)

Walgreens & CVS usually have BOGO or 50% off. CVS frequently has 80% off clearance sales on discontinued makeup.

Keep a bottle of pure acetone in your bathroom- you can use it to thin nail polish that has gotten thick. I haven't thrown out Nail Polish in years.
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I used to use Honey extension but I think at one point I looked it up on a reputation website and it wasn't good. Usually before I buy something I check for coupon codes on Retailmenot

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 705 Posts

i love the dollar store for eyelashes. if you're used to fancy expensive lashes then don't bother, but i find them to be almost identical to the ardell ones i pay like $7 a pop for at cvs.

ohh and amazon prime changed my life. i used to buy the naked palletes from sephora but i bought this one for cheap, just to try but i was expecting it to probably be crap. and now i'll never spend over 50 bucks on an eyeshadow pallete again.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...anbe+eyeshadow

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For eyelashes just go on amazon. I got like 80 pairs for $10.

However I am skeptical about buying brand name cosmetics on Amazon. It's too easy there for third party sellers and a lot of it comes from China. There could be super dangerous ingredients. With something like lashes though I don't care because it's not going into my skin.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nyccourtesan For This Useful Post:

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 705 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nyccourtesan View Post
    For eyelashes just go on amazon. I got like 80 pairs for $10.
    do you have the link by chance?

Thanks

I love makeup dupes. Alot of people sleep on drugstore brands but I haven't bought makeup from Sephora or Ulta in foreevvveerrr. These are the products that I use for various parts of my face.
    Primer- ELF $6
    Eyebrow Pomade- Milani $7
    Concealer- LA Girl, I buy mine from beauty supply stores for around $3 per tube
    Eye Shadow- NYX, these are so pigmented to me! Glitters for $3, Pigments for $6, individual colors for $3-$4. You are also able to customize a palette of 4 color for $6 or 9 colors for $12. I recommend doing this in store. I look like a kid in a candy store every time.
    Foundation- Black Opal $7 or Maybelline $9. Maybe its Maybelline. I sing that jingle all the time in my head.
    Lashes- Ardell $4, NYX $5. Most beauty supplies have an entire aisle, or at least a tall display, dedicated to Lashes that range from $1 to $5. I spend about 30 minutes in this aisle.
    Eye Liner- Beauty Supply $2 max
    Highlight- LA Girl Highlighter $5, NYX Highlighter $6, any eye shadow color that I already have.
    Setting Power- AirSpun Setting Powder $6, Maybelline Pressed Foundation $7, Ben Nye Banana Powder $0 (I think I swiped it from my sister)
    Setting Spay- NYX $7 , Mario Badescu Rose Water $8

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NikkiToTheStage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Anachronism View Post
    i love the dollar store for eyelashes. if you're used to fancy expensive lashes then don't bother, but i find them to be almost identical to the ardell ones i pay like $7 a pop for at cvs.

ohh and amazon prime changed my life. i used to buy the naked palletes from sephora but i bought this one for cheap, just to try but i was expecting it to probably be crap. and now i'll never spend over 50 bucks on an eyeshadow pallete again.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...anbe+eyeshadow
    Yeah I personally end up trashing fancy fake eyelashes. Between my oily skin and the glue I use...ugh. Can never re-use, so I go for cheap ones.
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I use the Ardell wand eyelash glue. Easy application and the wand lets you put as much or as little glue as possible. I wear lashes almost everday and this small tube lasts me for about 3 months.

https://www.amazon.com/DUO-Brush-Adh...sh%2Bglue&th=1

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NikkiToTheStage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Thanks for the replies everyone

I also buy lashes cheap off ebay. $1-2 (+ free shipping) for a pack of 5 or 10. They take forever to come but I always stock up in advance. Will have to try Amazon since I have prime they would come faster, never thought of that. I also never really reuse my lashes. I'll use them twice sometimes but normally just once.

I also buy the House of Lashes glue from Sephora. It's the same price as Duo (I think $8 ) but I love it so much more, stays awesome. It looks dark green but once it dries turns completely black which is convenient. Good applicator brush and lasts forever! Once I got better at doing my lashes I went from white glue to black and never looked back, way better at hiding mistakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Anachronism View Post
    do you have the link by chance?
    Oops! It actually costs $18. Still pretty cheap, and they don't look it!

https://www.amazon.com/Wleec-Beauty-.../dp/B00WQHZ27G

Featured Member We had a rabbit like you's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 837 Posts
    My Mood
    Daring

I LOVE shameless money saving beauty tips.
    Usually sephora and ulta are waaay too rich for my blood (but I do buy an spf face powder from bare minerals there) but good tip about saving the brushes!!

I notice the main difference between mascaras is just the brush like you said, so I buy cheap maybelline mascaras but save good quality brushes that really seperate the lashes . Add some visine eydrops to restore old mascara.
    I also use a wet eyeliner brush to apply eyeshadow as eyeliner, when you wet it down it gets way more intense and goes on smooth. And I use a pressed powder brown eyeshadow (elf) to do my eyebrows too
    Lipsticks a good stand in for cream blush.
    Urban decay midnight cowboy is a good eyeshadow for just about any occasion and also makes a great highlighter you can add to the corners of your eyes/top of the cheekbones/center of lips/etc
    Sally's beauty does great deals for makeup (as well as nails and hair)
    vaseline has been my subbing for my lip gloss recently and it looks just as shiny , and is also great for eye makeup removal (I never fuck with the irritating towelettes)
    I've done business with men who think I'm as silly as I look; by the time they figure out I'm not, I've done got the money and gone -Dolly Parton

a motherfukin hustler kamikaze//I used to bus tables but now I sell my body

20. The Following User Says Thank You to We had a rabbit like you For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,057 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I always use Sephora & never pay for a single thing and stock up on as many samples as I need of whatever product I want. When I'm feeling ambitious I go around to several different ones & get the same sample of everything I got at the one before so I'm stocked for at least a couple months at least. Just this last week I went into 2 different Sephoras and got a shit ton of both primers, foundations from NARS ,expensive microdermabrasion scrub, and a black charcoal cleanser for my face. I spent nothing Ya I'm a cheapskate so what LOL As long as they're giving out free samples of whatever I want, I'll make a list & take take take!

I even do that with their perfume samples & men's cologne. Shit lasts for daaays

I do however, buy NYX makeup bc their stuff is the shit as well as other drugstore stuff on the cheap for my basics like mascara, eyeliners, etc.
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

Thanks
    Thanked 22,061 Times in 3,732 Posts

I love lots of products by ELF!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/Samantha38GG Video blogs on Camming industry & how to succeed at camming.

Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is. Mae West

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam38g For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,413 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I use a lot of drugstore products with a few high end gems, Im more into skincare now than makeup because I have a ton. this weekend I will go to Walgreens because they have 3 for 2 and CVS because I have a 30% off coupon to stock up on essentials like mascara primer and vitamins. I do love my Estee Lauder foundation but try to buy during bonus time so I can get some bonus skincare like eye creams etc.I also have a Sephora box subscription for $10 dollars per month so I get to try different stuff and always has a perfume sample too. I was about to buy mascara this week but then I got one in my box.
    xoxo

Thanks
    Thanked 7,027 Times in 2,077 Posts

Try the Honey app. They automatically search for and apply coupons for products. I tried it on Ulta and it gave me a $5.95 discount. It works on more than just makeup. I used it for buying non-makeup items too like eyeglasses, books, and clothes.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know some girls won't use cheap makeup BUT Wet N Wild has added some products (I bought the new foundation and will try it soon.)

(It really depends on someone's personal needs. I would recommend anyone with sensitive skin to use hypoallergenic products.)

I'm seeing more setting sprays at the drugstore, which is great. The premium ones are crazy expensive.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,413 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I got my Estee Lauder Double wear today for 15% off at Macys, it is also bonus time so I got cleanser, eye cream , face cream, eyeshadow and mascara so that was a good deal.
    xoxo

30. The Following User Says Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you wanna go full epic cheap watch a few dumpster diving videos on YouTube and get on it. I literally got over $600 worth of new in box Clarins foundations one night and me and my friends were basically set for a few years lol. They were being tossed because the SPF expired, and my day cream has sunscreen in it so idgaf.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to SophieEmerson For This Useful Post: