Thread: audition struggles/ should I buy a pole

Thanks

Dizzy audition struggles/ should I buy a pole

I’ve had one failed audition previously and I just got home from an amateur night (at least half of the girls were pros lol) where I didn’t place. It’s one of those clubs where you have to do amateur night to audition and they offer contracts to the girls in the top 3. I wasn’t expecting to place because I’ve heard the competition is steep so that’s okay, but I am starting to feel like I’ll never get hired in California if I don’t get a pole to practice on at home. I’m not totally uncoordinated (I actually have a background in ballet and aerial circus arts but it’s been several years plus I have an autoimmune disease that tends to destroy a lot of my muscle strength during flares) but it feels like I can’t really get the feel for how I need to be dancing by just pretending there’s a pole in my living room and sort of fake dancing around it if that makes sense. I do my best practicing at home in my small ass apartment but it doesn’t feel like enough because apparently competition is pretty fierce. And I have a tendency to go a little blank on stage so drilling moves and sequences of moves until they come naturally is super key for me.

Is it ridiculous to buy a pole? Any other suggestions for how to practice in my situation? Or do I need to just keep putting myself out there?
    Last edited by jasminehex; 04-24-2018 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: audition struggles/ should I buy a pole

Specifically I’m not really looking for how to do pole tricks but I struggle sometimes with using the pole to dance on/transition to the floor with because I’ve touched a pole all of three times in my life (twice at auditions and once in an athletics focused pole class)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jasminehex For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Most girls doing amateur nights aren’t amateurs it might be better to try auditioning at clubs that don’t require it initially. And unless you’re going to practice pole tricks it doesn’t seem worth it to buy an expensive pole. I practice against the wall in my apartment and place a mirror on the other side so I can watch how I look doing the moves. Why not practice floor work in the meantime?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spicecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,593 Times in 7,622 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I would read more on here, pole really isn't a requirement, tho some clubs can be stage focused.
    Read more about moving on stage, looking confident, sexy.
    Maybe check out a club as a customer before going in to try..
    Look in Clubs/Reviews, review may be out of date, but you can get an idea..
    Look on tuscl too
    Good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 1,614 Posts

I haven't gone back to dancing yet but when I danced before most of the girls didn't do pole tricks. Only like 3-5 out of like 15 did tricks. There was a stage in the back that wasn't used so I used that to teach myself how to do pole tricks.

I plan on going back soon. I questioned in my head if I should get a pole and wait until I brushed up on tricks before going back but I realized that would just be another excuse I could use to push auditioning back even further. Knowing tricks isn't necessary for the most part. Better to be in the club learning while you make money then being at home trying to learn tricks while you miss out on money because you're waiting for the perfect moment to audition (not directed at you OP just saying in general because that is what I've been doing).

I still do want to get a pole for home to practice and for fun but more so for fun because I've always loved doing pole tricks. I didn't realize until recently how great pole dancing is for exercising and body toning. When I was learning and doing tricks before I didn't realize how much strength it took to do tricks....I never really paid attention to the fact that my body was toning up. I'd be sore but I never put 2 and 2 together until I looked at old pictures. I didn't work out at all before or when I danced but my body got super toned just from doing post tricks. Doing floor work, walking and dancing in those high ass heels helped a little too with toning but for the most part it from doing pole tricks. I'm planning on getting this one MegaBrand Portable Fitness Stripper Pole plus the Dry Hands - The Ultimate Gripping Solution then I'm going to upgrade to a Platinum Stages pole.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Blog Entries

I've heard great things about that pole, and it's a lot more affordable than an x-pole.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Winged Dinghy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,041 Times in 3,068 Posts

^ I was actually about to order the MegaBrand pole. It has great reviews and is 1/3 the price of an X-Pole.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."
    - Lux ATL

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 446 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Don't invest money in buying a professional pole and having it installed when you don't even know if stripping is right for you. I'm sure you can find clubs in your area that do not require you to participate in amateur night, and honestly pole tricks aren't going to make much of a difference to your income. Smile on stage, move slow, be sexy and look confident. Floor work is easy to learn and looks very sensual and catlike when done correctly. I decided early on in my stripping career that I would not focus on pole tricks because it was not worth the risk of injury or physical strain on my body, plus I bruise easily and decided having bruises all over my body during the learning curve wasn't worth it. That decision never hurt my money once.

It sounds like you ended up at a club that's not newbie friendly. I'd do research on others in the area, and if you ultimately decide that you want to move on to a club that's more stage-centric or pole tricks are a tool you want to have in your arsenal, you can learn them on the job for free.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Instead spending a bunch of money on a pole, maybe you should look into pole dancing classes! I got 3 classes for $25 on Groupon.