Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 378 Times in 185 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

    Default Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    One of the dancers I hang out with sent me a text today about something I'd never heard of before. She's studying law, and working on a paper about SESTA/FOSTA. She said that there's legislation being pushed that would enable the government,to seize a sex workers bank accounts. Has anyone else heard about that? That seems like such an impossible thing to happen, and yet with everything else going on nowadays.. Who knows?

    Any info that anybody's seen would be great. Thanks!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Titus23 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Ivysplayground's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 72 Times in 15 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    https://survivorsagainstsesta.org/ has all the up-to-date info! I'm part of a group in Vegas organizing the International Whores' Day march in June. If you'd like more info on that, our site is iwd18.org & DM me if you have any questions at all! <3

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ivysplayground For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Veteran Member naomi_doll's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 646 Times in 291 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Here is the bill they are talking about - https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/2219

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naomi_doll For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 378 Times in 185 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Thanks to you both for the links! I'm interested to see how this plays out. I understand the intent, but am concerned about how it will be abused.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Titus23 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Moderator
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    2,499
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 890 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    This is outright insane! There is a constitutional protection against unreasonable search and seizure - they already take cash from anyone they want. I can't believe I'm watching this happen. If only they would go after real traffickers, but no.
    Where am I? Roma



  10. #6
    God/dess WendiStarr's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Location
    somewhere in midwest
    Posts
    2,622
    Thanks
    3,148
    Thanked 7,480 Times in 2,204 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    What the hell?! That's absolutely absurd! LE can already take all of your cash on hand if you get busted by them. Now they want to start seizing bank accounts? Sex workers need to make a living, too. We all have rent, bills, need to eat, have kid(s) to support just like everybody. Now they want us to be totally penniless? This whole FOSTA/SESTA has gotten out of hand. I can honestly say that I have not seen or heard about any traffickers being shut down in my area since the changes have taken effect, only legal aged consenting sex workers at AMPS, escort agencies, strip clubs, and quite a few indy's being busted. It's ridiculous.

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member Ivysplayground's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 72 Times in 15 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Quote Originally Posted by WendiStarr View Post
    What the hell?! That's absolutely absurd! LE can already take all of your cash on hand if you get busted by them. Now they want to start seizing bank accounts? Sex workers need to make a living, too. We all have rent, bills, need to eat, have kid(s) to support just like everybody. Now they want us to be totally penniless? This whole FOSTA/SESTA has gotten out of hand. I can honestly say that I have not seen or heard about any traffickers being shut down in my area since the changes have taken effect, only legal aged consenting sex workers at AMPS, escort agencies, strip clubs, and quite a few indy's being busted. It's ridiculous.
    I personally think it's a "kill two birds with one stone" type of deal. This isn't about trafficking and they know it. The government hates sex workers (for a multitude of reasons) AND they want to try and censor the internet from within. This bill affects everyone in my opinion because it will kill online sales (porn, escorts, cam, skypes, custom vids, meet-ups), resources, and agencies. It will further prevent any type of legitimacy and eventually hit the streets and they'll prosecute from the local level. When it affects people's porn and other extracurricular activities, they'll start to care. This is one slippery slope into censorship of something bigger. It's terrifying.

  13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ivysplayground For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Featured Member Brandi_Lynn's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your grandma's underwear drawer
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks
    1,076
    Thanked 817 Times in 396 Posts
    My Mood
    Twisted

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    We are literally headed towards becoming like the middle east or North Korea I feel like. Ugh. This is too much -shits getting scary.
    "You're better than no one and no one is better than you."
    -- Bob Dylan

    “There's never going to be a great misunderstanding of me. I think I'm a little whacked.” Pamela Anderson



  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brandi_Lynn For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Moderator
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    2,499
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 890 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivysplayground View Post
    I personally think it's a "kill two birds with one stone" type of deal. This isn't about trafficking and they know it. The government hates sex workers (for a multitude of reasons) AND they want to try and censor the internet from within. This bill affects everyone in my opinion because it will kill online sales (porn, escorts, cam, skypes, custom vids, meet-ups), resources, and agencies. It will further prevent any type of legitimacy and eventually hit the streets and they'll prosecute from the local level. When it affects people's porn and other extracurricular activities, they'll start to care. This is one slippery slope into censorship of something bigger. It's terrifying.
    Please tell us what this reason is - it seems pretty senseless
    Where am I? Roma


  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Senior Member misspandora's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 275 Times in 94 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    This is exactly why I try to encourage my SW friends to get involved in politics...we need to get the damn right wing out of congress in November!!!

    BTW did you all notice Facebook changed their policies because of this crap?? You can't mention pro domme or escort services anymore..you can't even use Facebook to look for fetish partners!!! It's insane!!

  19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misspandora For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Veteran Member naomi_doll's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 646 Times in 291 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Both sides voted for FOSTA/SESTA.

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naomi_doll For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    415
    Thanked 378 Times in 185 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Quote Originally Posted by naomi_doll View Post
    Both sides voted for FOSTA/SESTA.
    When they package and market it as helping victims of sex trafficking, its a hard thing to vote against. The general public only looks at the face value presented by the media. Imagine being the congressperson known for voting "in favor of sex trafficking." Its a lose/lose for them, so while I disagree with their voting to approve the bill, I unfortunately understand why they did from a political perspective.

    Im in the military and we preach selfless service. Everyone buys into that, and most of us are willing to take a bullet for someone else. But what about career sacrifice? So few are willing to sacrifice their career, their livelihood, for what they believe in. Living with the consequences of your actions. That's selfless service. Sadly, its also against human nature.

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titus23 For This Useful Post:


  24. #13
    Veteran Member naomi_doll's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    496
    Thanks
    651
    Thanked 646 Times in 291 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    I understand, I was only making a point that voting one side out wouldn't fix the issue.

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naomi_doll For This Useful Post:


  26. #14
    Moderator
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    2,499
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 890 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Ironic, they won't feed, clothe, or educate people, they won't balance the budget, they won't take care of wounded veterans, they won't present a united front to the world, but they'll all jump on and vote to hurt people who only try to help others.

    Real trafficking is going on because they're attacking the very people who could actually end it - real SWs would never allow trafficking and would work to stop it if they were not being persecuted themselves. This effort is counterproductive, destructive, and stupid.
    Where am I? Roma



  27. #15
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
    Ironic, they won't feed, clothe, or educate people, they won't balance the budget, they won't take care of wounded veterans, they won't present a united front to the world, but they'll all jump on and vote to hurt people who only try to help others.

    Real trafficking is going on because they're attacking the very people who could actually end it - real SWs would never allow trafficking and would work to stop it if they were not being persecuted themselves. This effort is counterproductive, destructive, and stupid.
    Definitely!! And our politicians won't do the work of looking into the bill... Why on earth would you need to freeze bank accounts at all? FFS they are TRAFFICKING children, you simply put them away, how hard is that? Convicts have their assets frozen anyway once they're convicted and the victims receive compensation, that's already in law. Why do you need to get the banking industry involved in freezing accounts?? That's dangerously infringing....that libertarian Justin Amash voted against it, and he's a Republican..

    I've skimmed through part of the current form of this bill and it doesn't say anything that could likely lead to us getting our bank accounts frozen? The body is here.

    https://www.congress.gov/congression...rticle/H3075-2

    This is one troubling part:
    "recommended changes, if necessary, to existing statutory law to more effectively detect and deter money
    laundering relating to severe forms of trafficking in
    persons, where such money laundering involves the use of
    emerging technologies and virtual currencies."

    So it's definitely targeting bitcoin users as well as other "emerging technologies" which seems so broad as to potentially include people working from home employed by overseas companies? Ugh..I'm about to move to a place like Costa Rica where at least prostitution is legal and health care is affordable. Fuck this shit, America is really falling because not enough of the good guys are involved in the political process, honestly.

    Just bumping as I was wondering if anyone is following this further....


    Last edited by magicgembliss; 08-23-2018 at 02:15 PM.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magicgembliss For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    909
    Thanks
    2,593
    Thanked 1,975 Times in 670 Posts
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    WTF!

    They need scapegoates for all the woes of the world and sex workers are an easy target.

    Persecution towards sex workers is ineffective and revictimizing.



    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 08-24-2018 at 09:04 AM.

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:


  31. #17
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Quote Originally Posted by misspandora View Post
    This is exactly why I try to encourage my SW friends to get involved in politics...we need to get the damn right wing out of congress in November!!!

    BTW did you all notice Facebook changed their policies because of this crap?? You can't mention pro domme or escort services anymore..you can't even use Facebook to look for fetish partners!!! It's insane!!
    as stated its both sides trying to save their backsides from being ousted. However the Facebook changes are from the far left not the right as has been shown that Zuckerberg and his inner circle make up their own standards at their whim. IE If they review something and their little committee deems it obscene or suggestive, they toss it. But Hate Speech or similar that offend large parts of the country are fine if it goes with their internal rhetoric.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmegaWest For This Useful Post:


  33. #18
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: Next step in FOSTA/SESTA

    Fosta/Sesta in itself wont come for bank accounts of workers, as they seek links to cartels and such. Where any sex worker has to worry about is called Operation Chokepoint, which has been in effect for the last 10 years annd myself have been victim of it, where the banks simply close your account be it personal or business if they consider you a risk under the Operation Guidelines. Several clubs and other entities have been hit by this as well over the past few years.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmegaWest For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-02-2018, 08:58 PM
  2. Animated Step-By-Step Surgery
    By AudreyLeigh in forum Body Business
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 07:53 AM
  3. Step by step... How do you make and complete a sale?
    By Collegegirl in forum Hustle Hut
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 05:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •