Thread: Kanye West said on TMZ that slavery was a choice

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 613 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine

Default Kanye West said on TMZ that slavery was a choice

I find him very disturbing along with the Kardashians. It's like the media awards stupidity more and more these days. It seems to me a way of controlling us by dumbing everything down. And they're a perfect example of this. But I really find this last media stunt of his completely diagusting. Any thoughts?
    You can't reason with stupid!
    It's a night of clowns and buffoons! - Maitre de in NYC

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyla19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,438 Times in 2,191 Posts

Default Re: Kanye West said on TMZ that slavery was a choice

I believe that he is mentally ill. No one in their right mind could seriously think that slavery was a choice. If he's not mentally ill then it's ridiculous the lengths that celebrities will go to draw attention to themselves. Any publicity is good publicity to them because it gets people talking about them.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,364 Times in 5,859 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

He talking real reckless, trolling, and cooning for PR.
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 05-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 631 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

I can't tell if he's THAT desperate for publicity, or if he has genuinely lost his mind. Probably some combination of both.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,576 Times in 2,181 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

Well I was definitely surprised. I've always had a soft spot for Kanye; even though he is extremely verbally clumsy and says a lot of things that are very easily confused I've always been able to understand his overarching ideas and arguments and usually found complete resonance with them. Even now he is still saying some things I find resonance with, in fact when I initially heard the 'slavery was a choice' section of the TMZ interview I assumed it was just more of his super-clumsy verbal diarrhea and that that wasn't what he actually meant.....until I read his tweets where he 'cleared' what he meant up:

"Of course I know that slaves did not get shackled and put on a boat by free will," he tweeted. "My point is for us to have stayed in that position even though the numbers were on our side means that we were mentally enslaved." He added: "They cut our tongues so we couldn't communicate to each other. I will not allow my tongue to be cut ... they can no longer stop our voice."

I'm just really not sure what "numbers" he's talking about. America was a predominantly white country, the slaves were way outnumbered. I even googled the census for 1860(right before the Civil War); slaves made up 13% of the population. I wouldn't really consider those numbers as being particularly advantageous towards the slaves in the event of a revolt. Haiti was able to revolt and overthrow the French but they were able to do so because of the unique conditions in Haiti---with one of them of course being that the slaves way outnumbered the French(from Wikipedia):

In 1789, whites numbered 40,000; mulattoes and free blacks, 28,000; and black slaves, an estimated 452,000.[30] This was almost half the total slave population in the Caribbean, estimated at one million that year.[31] The lowest class of society was enslaved blacks, who outnumbered whites and free people of color by a margin of more than six to one.[32]

Now THEY had 'numbers on their side.'

Also I think that since Kanye apparently has slavery all figured out and knows how to stop it, he should turn his attention towards modern slavery. I think people forget that it still exists; it's still a huge problem in Mauritania, we all saw the Libyan slave trade recently on the news, sex slavery is still a huge global issue....etc.

I wonder how Kim feels, she's so obsessed with image and PR that this has to be her worst nightmare.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Genoveve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Doesn't matter what he "meant" what he SAID in public was "slavery was a choice" which is completely false.

He claims to be genius then he should be more articulate of his thoughts - but he does not care - and when a person is on a public platform with influence like that they can't just say whatever the fuck they want and try to re-write history to their benefit without consequences.

While he has a right to freedom of speech, he sounds ignorant AND he is speaking from an completely entitled point of view. Aside from his mother, who is deceased, I highly doubt Kayne has any relationships with his African American ancestors who would have passed down the stories of the reality of enslavement otherwise he would not be talking like that. Hell even if all his Black ancestors died or cut him off, he could study African American history to educate himself on these topics.

What he is doing to gain attention is disgusting. Using the horrors/pain of slavery, minimizing it, and turning it into publicity for his own benefit.

Kim does not care. She does the same exact thing by constantly appropriating Black culture for PR.

A family who will obtain PR at any cost.....this is right up their alley and they have fans that stick by them no matter how far/how low they stoop someone will always minimize and explain away shitty behavior.
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 05-03-2018 at 07:07 AM.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

I used to like his music. But I can't listen to it anymore. To me, him and the Kardashians are stupid and low class. Even though they're rich. And he needs some good therapy and medication. And I also heard him mention the holocaust. I didn't know if he meant slavery or the murder of Jews in Europe?? I didn't know if he was being anti-semetic. Or, his crazy self just having diarrhea of the mouth again.
    Last edited by Nyla19; 05-03-2018 at 07:24 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyla19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Only thing I can think of is if Kayne meant slavery - as in 2018 Black slavery in America .......

...ending slavery did not end racial discrimination/prejudice/inequality, etc that is still prevalent today

There is still systemic slavery/lasting effects of slavery still seen today.
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 05-03-2018 at 08:19 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 631 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

Quote Originally Posted by Genoveve View Post
    Well I was definitely surprised. I've always had a soft spot for Kanye; even though he is extremely verbally clumsy and says a lot of things that are very easily confused I've always been able to understand his overarching ideas and arguments and usually found complete resonance with them. Even now he is still saying some things I find resonance with, in fact when I initially heard the 'slavery was a choice' section of the TMZ interview I assumed it was just more of his super-clumsy verbal diarrhea and that that wasn't what he actually meant.....until I read his tweets where he 'cleared' what he meant up:

"Of course I know that slaves did not get shackled and put on a boat by free will," he tweeted. "My point is for us to have stayed in that position even though the numbers were on our side means that we were mentally enslaved." He added: "They cut our tongues so we couldn't communicate to each other. I will not allow my tongue to be cut ... they can no longer stop our voice."

I'm just really not sure what "numbers" he's talking about. America was a predominantly white country, the slaves were way outnumbered. I even googled the census for 1860(right before the Civil War); slaves made up 13% of the population. I wouldn't really consider those numbers as being particularly advantageous towards the slaves in the event of a revolt. Haiti was able to revolt and overthrow the French but they were able to do so because of the unique conditions in Haiti---with one of them of course being that the slaves way outnumbered the French(from Wikipedia):

In 1789, whites numbered 40,000; mulattoes and free blacks, 28,000; and black slaves, an estimated 452,000.[30] This was almost half the total slave population in the Caribbean, estimated at one million that year.[31] The lowest class of society was enslaved blacks, who outnumbered whites and free people of color by a margin of more than six to one.[32]

Now THEY had 'numbers on their side.'

Also I think that since Kanye apparently has slavery all figured out and knows how to stop it, he should turn his attention towards modern slavery. I think people forget that it still exists; it's still a huge problem in Mauritania, we all saw the Libyan slave trade recently on the news, sex slavery is still a huge global issue....etc.

I wonder how Kim feels, she's so obsessed with image and PR that this has to be her worst nightmare.
    I wonder how Kris feels about all of this! She's the matriarch of the group and without her ruling from the sidelines I doubt the Kardashians would have the empire they do. Kim must be so tired of his BS. Kanye's verbal diarrhea is going to affect her bank account since their images are linked. If I was her, I'd look into ways to separate my assets from his if she hasn't done so already, because Kanye isn't about to stop acting the fool. I really think it's only a matter of time until she leaves him.

They are really polar opposites in that sense. The Kardashians calculate, strategize and plan to the end. Kanye says anything to grab attention, with no thoughts about the repercussions. They don't mesh in a business sense and that's going to be a problem for Kim sooner or later. She's about her money.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,177 Times in 1,964 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Genoveve View Post

Oh don't worry, Kanye is waaay too soft to speak up about modern slavery in Africa or Asia. And Kim is fine with all of this exploitation of Black disenfranchisement. As long as you give respect for the Armenian Genocide, she's good. Kim could care less about the Black community of her husband and kids. As long as she keeps cashing checks no Black woman ever could for having a surgically obtained "fat ass".
    Rich men only worry about money in their business ventures.
    Broke men worry about money in their relationships with women.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ugh. Im sick of Kanye and im getting sick of the Kardashians/Jenners too with their weird obsession with black men and turning themselves into other races with plastic surgery. I don't know why but I used to like them until not too long ago and then suddenly just recently I was like "ew".

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniellaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Never listened or liked Kanye as an entertainer. Rap and all the new artists are so far removed away from what rap/hip hop originally was it's unbelievable.

Furthermore, the truth is the majority of new artists have little to zero talent/ showmanship so they resort to shock antics or become overly political an attempt to stay relevant.

I don't listen to any of this new stuff and refuse to as it insults my intelligence. How do you go from Champ MC to Nicki Minaj?! SPICE 1 to Kanye. You can't! I can't!

Rap from 1988 to 1995 is the real rap and thankfully I was old enough during the 90s to experience such great music during the time it was alive and pumping through them Rockford Fosgate amps and Kicker speakers... That era is gone now...
    Last edited by Luckyguy09; 05-04-2018 at 08:00 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Luckyguy09 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WendiStarr View Post
    I believe that he is mentally ill. No one in their right mind could seriously think that slavery was a choice. If he's not mentally ill then it's ridiculous the lengths that celebrities will go to draw attention to themselves. Any publicity is good publicity to them because it gets people talking about them.
    I think he has a drug and alcohol problem.
    https://radaronline.com/videos/kanye...lers-marijuana

I was told he was inebriated when he climbed on stage when Taylor Swift received her MTV award.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    I think he has a drug and alcohol problem.
    https://radaronline.com/videos/kanye...lers-marijuana

I was told he was inebriated when he climbed on stage when Taylor Swift received her MTV award.
    He admitted to using painkillers after having liposuction on the TMZ interview. I also think he’s mentally ill because I don’t know many men secure enough to yell that across a room as a defense.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wish For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 518 Posts

^^^ what's crazier is he got Lipo after his Mom died from lipo complications!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vanessa_mtl For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Well, there are direct parallels to mental illness and substance and/or alcohol abuse. Also, any man associated with the Kardashians seems to lose it at some point. Is it them? Or, just the men they associate with? It's like what comes first? The chicken or the egg?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyla19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

I really doubt dude is mentally ill.....that would be too easy of an excuse to explain when a person is just being their usual asshole self. Like those people who try to get off on murder charges claiming insanity. Like no mf. you in your right mind you just have no common sense or care for others. IF he is mentally ill he'd fall into the category of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

*edit: I see on wikipedia in his songs he said he took lexapro, had symptoms of anxiety and depression, was involuntarily admitted to UCLA medical for "hallucinations and paranoia" but remains formally undiagnosed. He allegedly had a nervous breakdown as a result of addiction caused by opioids prescribed after his liposuction
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 05-06-2018 at 08:51 PM.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,587 Times in 1,635 Posts

^^Agreed. I feel like alot of people these days use mental illness, drug issues, etc as an excuse or cop out for why someone else has shitty behavior or does bad things. Some of these people were shitty before the drug use or mental issues and they will most likely be shitty when if and they get treated for drug and or mental issues. Kanye has always been problematic just like Lil'wayne and a bunch of other people. They're just shitty, ignorant, disrespectful people drugs and or mental health has nothing to do with it. In Kanye's case his drug and mental issues probably just exemplifies his shitty disrespectful behavior. I will not give Kanye or any other person a pass for the disrespect he has and continues to show. Its convenient that when these people physically, emotional or mentally harm mass amount of people and they all of a sudden they have mental and or drug problems. Now people are suppose to feel bad for them or are suppose to be understanding of the perp which takes the focus off of what they did and the people they hurt. When are some people just shitty human beings?

I'm not even going to address his ignorant false statement. You know what I will say this he preached about how he wouldn't be a slave and how he wouldn't have let the slave owners dehumanize, torture, or mentally trap him but everything he done and continues to do is for white acceptance. Judging by the way he acts now he would've been the masters right hand. He would've been so engulfed in self-hatred, anti-blackness, white supremacy, mental and emotional abuse that he wouldn't even have known where to begin to try an "get out". He is in mental slavery right now due to white supremacy and anti-blackness and he doesn't even realize it....oh the irony. Since its so "easy" to escape mental slavery then what's Kanye's excuse? Why hasn't he made the choice to escape?
    Last edited by Blovely; 05-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blovely For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Quote Originally Posted by Blovely View Post
    he preached about how he wouldn't be a slave and how he wouldn't have let the slave owners dehumanize, torture him, or be mentally trap.....
    Shiiiiit - if this were slave times - like physical slavery for Black people....I think Kayne would have been whipped to death or lynched.

Slavery was a choice alright.....Be a good slave or die trying to escape slavery

Quote Originally Posted by Blovely View Post
    Judging by the way he acts now he would've been the master right hand snitching on the slaves. He would've been so engulfed in self-hatred, anti-blackness, white supremacy, mental and emotional abuse that he wouldn't even have known where to begin to try an "get out".
    He reminds me of that character Dave Chappelle played "Clayton Bixby" a black man who became a kkk white supremacist yet didn't realize he was Black - because he was blind.
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 05-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

I really wish him and the Kardashians would just disappear. Every time I see one of them, it just reminds me how low our country has stooped. And I find it very depressing. It's sad that we don't have true hereos as role models in the media.I think we did years ago. But not anymore. It's a shame how our media focuses on the lowest parts of society to distract us from the real issues. Such as global warming, our economy, healthcare, financial inequality, race and gender issues and many, many more issues.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nyla19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyguy09 View Post
    Never listened or liked Kanye as an entertainer. Rap and all the new artists are so far removed away from what rap/hip hop originally was it's unbelievable.

Furthermore, the truth is the majority of new artists have little to zero talent/ showmanship so they resort to shock antics or become overly political an attempt to stay relevant.

I don't listen to any of this new stuff and refuse to as it insults my intelligence. How do you go from Champ MC to Nicki Minaj?! SPICE 1 to Kanye. You can't! I can't!

Rap from 1988 to 1995 is the real rap and thankfully I was old enough during the 90s to experience such great music during the time it was alive and pumping through them Rockford Fosgate amps and Kicker speakers... That era is gone now...
    Interestingly Kendrick Lamar won a pulitzer prize for his rap music.

There are some good rap/hip-hop artists, from early to mid 2000's, like KL, Common, Outcast (wish they stayed together), Lupe Fiasco, Missy Elliot

I think Kayne did better as a rap artist back in early 2000's
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 05-06-2018 at 08:52 PM.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post

There are some good rap/hip-hop artists, from early to mid 2000's, like KL, Common, Outcast (wish they stayed together), Lupe Fiasco, Missy Elliot

I really am a huge fan of rap. And Kendrick Lamar is amazing. I'm so happy that he received The Pulitzer Prize. And Kanye definately is talented. I can't help but think after this discussion that the Kardashians have somehow brought him bad luck or have driven him crazy. This wouldn't be the first man around them that has ended up with a lot of issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nyla19 View Post
    Well, there are direct parallels to mental illness and substance and/or alcohol abuse. Also, any man associated with the Kardashians seems to lose it at some point. Is it them? Or, just the men they associate with? It's like what comes first? The chicken or the egg?

Oh wow classic post.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post

Eh, I was never all that impressed with Kanye, even before all the adulation and attention went to his (probably already addled) head. But then there's been several very popular 'artists' that everyone else goes apeshit over, and I am entirely indifferent to them. Eminem being a prime example. But Eminem at least hasn't publicly lost his shit numerous times.

Kendrick Lamar is an entirely different kind of performer. And much more talented.

Still not sure how much I believe all this is for yet more publicity, and how much is incipient lunacy being nourished by adulation of the ignorant masses. Not really meaning to defend the guy given how far overboard he's gone, but artists and creative types are not generally renowned for mental stability.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nyla19 View Post
    I don't think you can blame the Kardashians for Kanye West. He lost it long before he got involved with them.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post: