Thread: Can someone PLEASE tell me what is going on with my laptop?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Default Can someone PLEASE tell me what is going on with my laptop?

I've been having problems on streamate all morning. It kept disconnecting me or my video quality would drop to 320 x 180.

I have 2 laptops one is an acer and the other is a msi (biggest piece of shit I have EVER owned...SERIOUSLY). I checked my speed on the acer and it was 65 download and 5.75 upload but when I checked the speed on the msi its only coming back with .89 upload ( yes u read that right...less than 1 upload!!!!! ). Why would I be getting 2 different uploads on each laptop? I tried rebooting the msi and ran the test again but I am getting the same thing?

Anyone know whats going on or how to fix it?

Thanks

Default Re: Can someone PLEASE tell me what is going on with my laptop?

The only time this happened to me was when i had tripped over my cable and without realising it disconnected the power. The laptop went into power saving mode and basically throttled every feature in order to preserve battery.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia Fallon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia Fallon View Post
    The only time this happened to me was when i had tripped over my cable and without realising it disconnected the power. The laptop went into power saving mode and basically throttled every feature in order to preserve battery.
    just checked that but my laptop is plugged in ;(

Thanks
    Thanked 6,166 Times in 1,624 Posts

It can also do that if its forcing itself to use wifi even if when you're plugged in to the ethernet.

"Daily pay ALL the things!"
    [email protected] - Skype: BoleynModels - "If you haven't heard a rumor by 10am, start one."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KatyBoleyn For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,280 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

^ Yeah turn you wifi off. Cant you just cam from the fast laptop??

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DeepThoughts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,918 Times in 5,296 Posts

I also have MSI, it's less than a year old laptop and I wish I would have gotten something else. The fan is so loud.

I bought into the 'you need a gaming computer' bullshit.
    The future is stigma free.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marina Starr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

I'm SO not trying to insult your intelligence, but doing a system restore helped a few times I had the times this wasn't SM related. No comment on the thousands of times it WAS.
    You know what they say about the crazy ones........

"Experience is a brutal teacher,
    but you learn. My God, do you learn!"
    C.S. Lewis

General Pics:https://imageshack.com/user/inked_milf

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Quote Originally Posted by KatyBoleyn View Post
    It can also do that if its forcing itself to use wifi even if when you're plugged in to the ethernet.
    I thought my wi fi was off but somehow it got turned on again...turned it off and rebooted pc....still getting .95 upload ;( Now I am just hard wired.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Quote Originally Posted by SweetJuliaXXX View Post
    I'm SO not trying to insult your intelligence, but doing a system restore helped a few times I had the times this wasn't SM related. No comment on the thousands of times it WAS.
    I dont think I have a restore point created;( Could I just do a reset on my laptop and maybe that would fix it?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Girly_Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Starr View Post
    I also have MSI, it's less than a year old laptop and I wish I would have gotten something else. The fan is so loud.

MSI is literally the worst computer I have ever owned. I have had sooooooo many problems out of it!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Girly_Girl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThoughts View Post
    ^ Yeah turn you wifi off. Cant you just cam from the fast laptop??
    Reason I have 2 laptops tho is because I use my msi for streamate only and then my acer for all my other sites. I am on about 8 to 10 different sites ( only live on 5 of them tho).

When its slow on streamate, my other sites are usually busy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Girly_Girl View Post
    I dont think I have a restore point created;( Could I just do a reset on my laptop and maybe that would fix it?
    Or maybe restore it to factory settings, even though it's a pain?
    You know what they say about the crazy ones........

"Experience is a brutal teacher,
    but you learn. My God, do you learn!"
    C.S. Lewis

General Pics:https://imageshack.com/user/inked_milf

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SweetJuliaXXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Finally ended up calling MSI and he walked me thru updating a couple of drivers but one of the wouldnt install so now they are telling me that I will have to send it in to get it fixed meaning I would be without my laptop for up to 2 weeks and maybe longer PLUS I am all the way on the east coast so I would have to mail it all the way to California so there is more time waiting for it to be delivered to them and then sent back to me!

Turns out it is something to do with my lan port or something cause he told me to unplug my ethernet cable and check my speed again with it set to wireless and when I do that I get an upload of almost 6?

My question is, can I stream from streamate with wireless on? Or will that fuck up my placement?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 981 Posts

Same!!! I will never buy MSI again.
    Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.*John Lennon

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Carmen~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~Carmen~ View Post
    Same!!! I will never buy MSI again.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marina Starr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,585 Times in 1,635 Posts

Finally ended up calling MSI and he walked me thru updating a couple of drivers but one of the wouldnt install so now they are telling me that I will have to send it in to get it fixed meaning I would be without my laptop for up to 2 weeks and maybe longer PLUS I am all the way on the east coast so I would have to mail it all the way to California so there is more time waiting for it to be delivered to them and then sent back to me!

Turns out it is something to do with my lan port or something cause he told me to unplug my ethernet cable and check my speed again with it set to wireless and when I do that I get an upload of almost 6?

My question is, can I stream from streamate with wireless on? Or will that fuck up my placement?
    Connect via the ethernet cable for a stable connection and to be able to get the highest up. Just make sure that none of the wireless networks are set to automatically connect. I usually uncheck all of them just so that it doesn't accidentally automatically connect to them.

It really depends more on the computer company you go with as well as the computer you go with. I've bought 3 gaming computers and never had a problem with any of them (2 of them were even used) but I went with Dell and Lenovo and all of them were also desktops. However if you go with a crappy company or a lower end gaming computer you may have more problems with that gaming computer than you would have had with a non-gaming computer.

Gaming computer usually have better specs and you can generally switch parts out which is why many models and techies say to go with a gaming computer. With regular computers for the most part you can't swap out parts. With the upgrades we have to deal with for many its best to buy a gaming computer because instead of having to replace a whole computer every 2-4 years new parts (like memory, graphic card or even motherboard) can be bought to upgrade the computer. In the long run a gaming computer can save alot of money.
    Last edited by Blovely; 06-05-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,280 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

You can cam to SM on wifi. I used to do it all the time but dont do Gold Shows cause its more likely to drop off and then you loose it all but I would get it fixed an ethernet connection is always best on SM. Look into renting a computer while its in the shop or ask them if they do rentals or loan computers to cover you. Laptops are always a hassle which is why we all recommend a Desktop if you can. They really give you the most bang for your buck and YOU can fix them yourself when you need to!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DeepThoughts For This Useful Post:

Thanks

MSI is literally the worst computer I have ever owned. I have had sooooooo many problems out of it!!!
    I had an MSI too and hated it, I was so glad when I got rid of that junk.

A recent windows update could be your issue, so updating your network drivers from msi website should help.
    Last edited by Halo88; 06-05-2018 at 06:44 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Halo88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I paid over $1500 for the MSI gaming laptop, top of the line. I just feel gaming computers have a lot of extras that aren't really beneficial to camming.
    More isn't always good. I will get a Mac Pro next time, 100% tax deductible and works wonderfully with OBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovely View Post
    It really depends more on the computer company you go with as well as the computer you go with. I've bought 3 gaming computers and never had a problem with any of them (2 of them were even used) but I went with Dell and Lenovo and all of them were also desktops. However if you go with a crappy company or a lower end gaming computer you may have more problems with that gaming computer than you would have had with a non-gaming computer.

Gaming computer usually have better specs and you can generally switch parts out which is why many models and techies say to go with a gaming computer. With regular computers for the most part you can't swap out parts. With the upgrades we have to deal with for many its best to buy a gaming computer because instead of having to replace a whole computer every 2-4 years new parts (like memory, graphic card or even motherboard) can be bought to upgrade the computer. In the long run a gaming computer can save alot of money.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Marina Starr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Quote Originally Posted by DeepThoughts View Post
    You can cam to SM on wifi. I used to do it all the time but dont do Gold Shows cause its more likely to drop off and then you loose it all but I would get it fixed an ethernet connection is always best on SM. Look into renting a computer while its in the shop or ask them if they do rentals or loan computers to cover you. Laptops are always a hassle which is why we all recommend a Desktop if you can. They really give you the most bang for your buck and YOU can fix them yourself when you need to!
    Yeah I think I am just going to rent one and send it in to get fixed while its still under warranty cause the warranty ends in November of this year. I called about renting one and it will only be around $50 a week but I think my next pc will be a desk top and and dman sure won't be another MSI.......lol

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Ive got to send my laptop in to be fixed and I usually reset the whole thing to make sure all cam related stuff is deleted. Would it still be ok to do a reset or would that mess it up to where they couldn't properly diagnosis what all is wrong with it? It has multiple problems...lol

Or should I just delete stuff off?

Thanks

DO NOT RESET! I once reset mine to factory setting and it wouldn't work. I had to have best buy fixed it.
    Ive got to send my laptop in to be fixed and I usually reset the whole thing to make sure all cam related stuff is deleted. Would it still be ok to do a reset or would that mess it up to where they couldn't properly diagnosis what all is wrong with it? It has multiple problems...lol

Or should I just delete stuff off?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Marina Starr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

DO NOT RESET! I once reset mine to factory setting and it wouldn't work. I had to have best buy fixed it.
    Ive reset my msi MULTIPLE times tho....I am talking probably more than 10 times cause the thing has been soooo screwed up but I am sending it back to msi to be fixed cause its still under warranty but I was just wondering if deleting stuff off would be enough? But like I said, I don't want to do a reset if it will keep them from being able to do a good diagnosis on it either?

Thanks

That I don't know. Call and ask them.
    Ive reset my msi MULTIPLE times tho....I am talking probably more than 10 times cause the thing has been soooo screwed up but I am sending it back to msi to be fixed cause its still under warranty but I was just wondering if deleting stuff off would be enough? But like I said, I don't want to do a reset if it will keep them from being able to do a good diagnosis on it either?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Marina Starr For This Useful Post: