Thread: Moving to New Orleans

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,258 Times in 740 Posts

Default Moving to New Orleans

Considering it very seriously. Been looking at places/areas online. If anyone has experience moving
    there from far away- advice of any kind is appreciated. I donít need club advice. Seems like a sketchy city to move to as a single female without knowing anyone so Iím nervous.

Thanks

Default Re: Moving to New Orleans

I travel from about an hour-hour thirty minutes away, but I know people that have made the move. I also know multiple single females that have moved there and do fine. You just have to be smart about your surroundings and know how to spot the MANY people (little kids-old men) that will come up to you asking for money. I wish I had more advice, but I hope that helps a little!
    Tacky, yet refined.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to missharley For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you! Yea I know the typical scams I’ve been there more times than I can count but I always stay in the quarter so I still feel like a clueless tourist when searching for places to live! At least I know where I got my shoes tho lol

I mostly want to know which areas are safe, cheap and not too far from the clubs
    Last edited by Girl Anachronism; 06-16-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Blog Entries

French Quarter, Marigny and Bywater are all close to the clubs. I live in Bywater. Rents have been pretty high in those neighborhoods over the last few years, but I see them dropping--mostly because of new legislation that outlaws whole-home rentals on Airbnb.

Anyway, there are always a ton of sublets available in the summer. I'm seeing rents lower than I have in a while. Like studios in the Quarter for $1,000. Craigslist works, but also just trying walking around the neighborhood where you want to live and looking for "for rent" signs. Tulane Classifieds is a Facebook group where you can find a lot of cheap rentals, though they're mostly Uptown.

Summer is slow in the clubs, but you already know that. New Orleans is a really high-crime city and I wouldn't consider any neighborhood totally safe. Like, you can get robbed at gunpoint or kidnapped at any time of day almost anywhere in the city. Your odds are lower in Marigny/Bywater/the Quarter if you stick to well-traveled areas and don't go out alone at night.

Also, don't fall for the "bywater north" shit--the neighborhood north of St. Claude Avenue isn't Bywater.
    Last edited by Winged Dinghy; 06-16-2018 at 05:21 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winged Dinghy For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 624 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine

I was thinking of moving there back around 2011. But I decided against it. The crime rate is too high for me. And the state doesn't offer enough benefits to it's residents. I mean when you get older and/or have an accident,etc. But I do love it there. The people, music and food.
    Last edited by Nyla19; 06-17-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    You can't reason with stupid!
    It's a night of clowns and buffoons! - Maitre de in NYC

Thanks

Wow thanks that was really helpful!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,150 Posts

It is sketchy but i have lived here on and off for 8 yrs and always been ok. I personally love it here but it is not for everyone. That being said.. After being here for that long and now knowing a lot of people i have had a lot of friends have some shady things happen to them... Mostly just being mugged at gunpoint but some of them a lot worse. Im not going to post the details... But it can be a rough city for a woman.

I wouldnt move here till fall. Summer is slow season and crime skyrockets. It usually calms down in october though.

Be smart about your neighborhood. I live in the quarter so getting to and from work safely is easy to do and i dont have to worry about break ins. Livin in the quarter isnt for everyone though, its loud, crowded, dirty, and parking is shit. But there is so much stuff a short walk away.

Also... I dont think the government is done fucking with our clubs. So be prepared for the rug to be ripped out from under your feet even if you work at one of the bigger brand name clubs.
    The best thing i have heard in a strip club to date:
    customer: we should get married right now! we should get a shotgun marriage!
    me: uhh... i think you are misunderstanding what a shotgun marriage means. A shotgun marriage means you knock me up and my daddy shows up at your door with a gun and forces you to marry me and raise the baby. You mean elope.
    customer: hmm... nah actually i will take the shotgun marriage. At least then we would be having sex.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Athenathefabulous For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you all so much. I will be taking a trip next month to see how work is after the whole ordeal and scout out places/neighborhoods. I always go to penthouse and would be surprised if they got shut down but who knows lately

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post: