Thread: Can a club legally do this?

Thanks

Default Can a club legally do this?

My club has a “mandatory etiquette class” coming up this weekend and is fining all girls who do not attend $50. While this isn’t necessarily a huge deal, I find it odd a club can fine girls for not showing up to a random event since we’re independent contractors? I dont really even care, but I’m waiting for my car to be shipped from another state right now and have to uber everywhere for the time being...and the cost of ubering to and from the etiquette class will add up to $40ish or so anyways.

Aside from these ridiculous “mandatory” classes, I love my club, I’m just wondering if this is even a legal thing for them to be doing (the fining part, not the class itself). Seems to me if some of the girls have etiquette issues they should be addressed by management privately and directly. They’re probably just coming up with BS ways to get more money from dancers
    Last edited by somechick99; 07-11-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Can a club legally do this?

The clubs can legally do whatever they want to a group of people that society deems a prostitute-that is, until someone gets a lawyer to tell them on your behalf that, its no bueno.

I understand the reason for such a class in our industry, especially if you're working in a classy establishments that tries to uphold a high level of professional conduct. The problem, as you say, is the fact that you are an independent contractor. I'm not a lawyer but I'd guess that status alone would mean that they can't "train" you in any shape or form, or in any way exert any sort of control over how you do your job. If the place is a good place to work and the money is good, I'd honestly grit your teeth and bear it or otherwise quit and go elsewhere. Trust me, there are much worse things that can happen to you in this industry than being obligated to take an etiquette club and needing to spend $40 on an uber, $40 that you could most likely deduct off your taxes as self-employment expenses I can also sympathize from the club's perspective that sometimes these courses are necessary however legal or illegal they might be. Have you heard of the nyc stripper who knocked a guys tooth out after he called her a bad mom? Granted, the asshole got what he deserved for being verbally abusive but violence as retaliation doesnt make it ok, and I'm sure an etiquette class will address similar topics as well as many more.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,179 Times in 3,102 Posts

Legally no they cannot require that. If its a $10 difference I would stay my ass home. Personally I would also be saving some kind of proof in case you ever wanted to participate in the lawyered up IC vs employee disputes.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."
    - Lux ATL

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSugarMonster View Post
    The clubs can legally do whatever they want to a group of people that society deems a prostitute-that is, until someone gets a lawyer to tell them on your behalf that, its no bueno.

I understand the reason for such a class in our industry, especially if you're working in a classy establishments that tries to uphold a high level of professional conduct. The problem, as you say, is the fact that you are an independent contractor. I'm not a lawyer but I'd guess that status alone would mean that they can't "train" you in any shape or form, or in any way exert any sort of control over how you do your job. If the place is a good place to work and the money is good, I'd honestly grit your teeth and bear it or otherwise quit and go elsewhere. Trust me, there are much worse things that can happen to you in this industry than being obligated to take an etiquette club and needing to spend $40 on an uber, $40 that you could most likely deduct off your taxes as self-employment expenses I can also sympathize from the club's perspective that sometimes these courses are necessary however legal or illegal they might be. Have you heard of the nyc stripper who knocked a guys tooth out after he called her a bad mom? Granted, the asshole got what he deserved for being verbally abusive but violence as retaliation doesnt make it ok, and I'm sure an etiquette class will address similar topics as well as many more.
    Yeah I totally agree, I wasn’t meaning this as a complaint so much as a general curiosity as to whether or not it’s legal. The club overall treats us well and has good spenders so I’ll suck it up and just pay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    Legally no they cannot require that. If its a $10 difference I would stay my ass home. Personally I would also be saving some kind of proof in case you ever wanted to participate in the lawyered up IC vs employee disputes.
    That’s what I thought, thank you. I like the club too much to make a big deal of things, but it’s good to know in general whether these things are legal or not

Thanks

You can always contact your state's Attorney General and ask their office questions.
    Even if you are an Independent Contractor the club can but "addional duties" or "must attend meetings " etc in your contract with them. If you never signed a contract then they can require anything from you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gelsey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,641 Times in 3,159 Posts
    My Mood
    Brooding

What one club owner said to me one night when I was asking about rules and requirements really stuck with me: "You're not an employee, you're an independent contractor, so we can't TELL you to do anything... but ya know, if we aren't happy with the way you work, we can also cancel your contract at any time."
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,541 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aurora_sunset View Post
    what one club owner said to me one night when i was asking about rules and requirements really stuck with me: "you're not an employee, you're an independent contractor, so we can't tell you to do anything... But ya know, if we aren't happy with the way you work, we can also cancel your contract at any time."
    ^^^^^^^ this!!!!!!!!
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..