Thread: Non Toxic Pest Control for roaches?

Thanks

Default Non Toxic Pest Control for roaches?

I live in an apartment building and lately the roaches in my unit have gotten really bad and resistant. I used to set out plates with boric acid & cocoa powder mixed together or toss down a few baits, but nothing I do is working anymore. I caulked everything to hell, I never leave dishes in the sink, I try to clean up water spills etc.

Now I have a dog, so anything I use has to be safe to use around her. Suggestions?
    I'm, like, 70 years old in sex worker years.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,871 Times in 7,741 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Default Re: Non Toxic Pest Control for roaches?

Someone told me baking soda,leave a trail of it all around. Personally never tried it tho. What about traps, just don't leave on the floor where the dog can get @ them?
    Talk to your landlord, even if you do everything right, someone else in the building is probably contributing to the problem

Thanks
    Thanked 16,035 Times in 5,765 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Try those raid traps. The roaches will be attracted to them.

IDK if they are non toxic but they are covered and non-aerosol.

Or those sticky glue traps around your baseboards. These won't attract roaches but if the roaches happen to come out they'll walk (or more like scurry) into them

4. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,804 Times in 3,484 Posts

OK honestly having dealt with this...…

a pro needs to spray inside the walls with chemical to kill the "nest areas" that the roaches reproduce in. After 3 days the house isn't too toxic to be in.

if you really insist on NON TOXIC roach abatement-

throw away ALL books, put all food in plastic or glass containers, and clean every surface with bleach based cleaner OR an ammonia equivalent (do not mix those two.)

Roaches can subsist on very little food, they eat glue and cellulose, and any scrap of food will draw them.

Wash all your clothing and bedding in hot water, put in dryer.

Boric powder is the way to go here. Between making your dwelling un-welcoming to roaches and the powder, they will go away.
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,961 Times in 2,059 Posts

Try food grade diatomaceous earth. Make sure that it is the food grade kind and not the kind that is put in pools. This is very important because the food grade diatomaceous earth is safe for consumption(not that you or your pet are going to eat it but it's non-toxic- some people eat it in their food or drink). It is made up of ground up, little sharp fossils and kills pretty much every bug by tearing holes in their exoskeletons(if they have one) which causes them to dry out and die. It will not cut you because it is has the consistency of flour. I suggest you wear a mask and gloves though because the dust from it can make you cough pretty bad and if you touch the powder it can make the skin on your hands dry. I had a bed bug infestation before and it worked on those little bastards.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,222 Times in 3,134 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

They hate mint, rosemary, and bay leaves....

https://www.essentialhomeandgarden.c...repel-roaches/

https://www.fightbugs.com/which-plants-repel-roaches/

https://homesteady.com/rid-roaches-herbs-7772870.html

https://dengarden.com/pest-control/1...ate-of-Roaches

Also put aluminum foil inside your kitchen drawers. Or those aluminum trays for your utensils.

If you wind up doing the toxic route, I'd leave the dog in doggy day care for a week just to be safe.
    Last edited by Vyanka; 07-29-2018 at 02:18 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vyanka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,613 Times in 1,878 Posts

Your best bet for getting rid of roaches for good is to get a kit to attack them on multiple fronts:

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...roach-bait-kit

The kit includes InVict Gold Cockroach Gel (to attract & kill them), Tekko Pro Insect Growth Regulator Concentrate (to halt their reproduction), Invade Bio Zap (to clean up after the infestation is gone), and a spray bottle (to use for the growth regulator).

I've dealt with these nasty roaches numerous times, and this kit is the only thing I've used that gets rid of them completely. It should be safe to use if you have pets. Just temporarily remove the pets from the room you are working on, and it should be ok.

Btw, it is your landlord's or apartment manager's responsibility to pay for pest control. So make sure you report it to your apartment complex and they should take care of it for you.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScarletKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,613 Times in 1,878 Posts

Actually, here is the commercial kit to use for entire apartment buildings:

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...els-and-motels

Your apartment manager/ landlord should invest in that and exterminate the entire apartment complex.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ScarletKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,276 Times in 2,118 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKitten View Post
    Btw, it is your landlord's or apartment manager's responsibility to pay for pest control. So make sure you report it to your apartment complex and they should take care of it for you.
    This. Even if you keep your place clean, your neighbors could be pigs. Trying to treat it in one apartment doesn't really work if they're living in the walls and eating at the neighbors' apartments. The whole building needs to be sprayed by an exterminator. I had this problem years ago in an apartment complex and the landlord refused to have the building done, so I moved out. I even had to give some furniture away just to make sure that the roaches didn't lay eggs somewhere, I washed every stitch of cloth at a laundromat and washed every pot, pan, etc., outside of my new place before I brought them inside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKitten View Post
    THanks, I will look into this kit.

My landlord is a cheap asshole who doesnt care for the building and the super is useless. There is a pest control guy who comes around every few months but nothing he does helps and its just more toxic crap in my house.

It doesnt help so many people in my building are nasty. They spill stuff on the lobby floor and stairs and dont clean it up and literally throw garbage out the windows. I can't afford to move so I'm stuck.
    I'm, like, 70 years old in sex worker years.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonutMilkshake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,035 Times in 5,765 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I’m convinced the average apartment contracted pest control is spraying like 2 pumps of nothing more than glorified water. They are mostly useless.

And yes it is a sad state of affairs when aint shit humans can see a trash can mere feet (sometimes inches) away but still chose to litter - thus leading to possible infestation of roaches

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,871 Times in 7,741 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Yipes, I feel you. I hope you can make it work..
    When I lived downstairs, I did have dried rosemary leaves around, in the summer I keep live growing pots of rosemary.
    Trader Joe's has cloth bags of dried lavender, which I keep as moth repellent sorry off topic

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,364 Times in 2,526 Posts

Maybe buy a gecko, if you can keep your dog from attacking it. Geckos eat roaches.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Water and vinegar are good for that purpose. Wash the area where roaches can be with this mixture. To frighten away the insects, add ammonia to the water for washing floors. Roaches cannot stand this smell. A mixture of raw egg yolk and boric acid works well too - the egg yolk removes the unpleasant smell of boric acid. Here are some other hacks on how to get rid of them. Hope it will come in handy.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AllisonWhite For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 527 Posts

https://doyourownpestcontrol.com/

varying levels of toxic, depending on your comfort zone

pyrethrin is pretty non toxic, except for fish and IIRC cats. it is in that lice shampoo and dog flea bath

the rosemary etc stuff does work.

in the city you don't have to be a pig to have roaches, they are embedded in the ground. It is like having mice in the country, they were there first.

I always kept everything in the fridge when I lived in the city.......

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,804 Times in 3,484 Posts

To add to this-

We don't have roach problems (being clean and living in a newer place) but yes we still get bugs and occasional rodents that wander into our place (the unintended side effect of living near nature.)

When you clean take note of WHERE you get bug or rodent infestation (you'll find droppings, chew marks, dead bug bodies, etc.) Sometimes you have to keep on eliminating every way the infestation can happen. Sometimes that does mean plastic hampers for personal possessions and daily cleaning (especially if your neighbors have infestations they are not treating.)

For older houses this is essential, over time some infestations are inevitable whether you like or not (i.e. termites.) There are tons of natural product bug repellent methods you can use. They're listed on earthclinic dot com or related natural living sites.
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..