Thread: Is it actually better to work for a studio?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Default Is it actually better to work for a studio?

I spoke with someone recently who used to work for a physical studio. She said she made way more money even though the cut was bigger because her placement was better. Iím curious does anyone else have experience with this, or can tell me if thatís really true?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,127 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Is it actually better to work for a studio?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine22 View Post
    I spoke with someone recently who used to work for a physical studio. She said she made way more money even though the cut was bigger because her placement was better. I’m curious does anyone else have experience with this, or can tell me if that’s really true?
    Physical studios, at least with Streamate, have no effect whatsoever on your placement.

They can indirectly effect your placement by:

1) Having you work a specific schedule for a high number of hours. If you work a 25-hour/week regular schedule, you can achieve the same effect.

2) Provide superior tech setups and high-speed business internet than you could otherwise afford from the beginning. If you invest $1500 or so in your own setup and pay for the best wired internet you can get, you can achieve the same effect.

3) Setting standards/restrictions for your appearance and sales technique. If you ensure you're always hustling and selling, you can achieve the same effect.

4) Professionalizing your profile via high-quality photos and video. You can accomplish this also with a small time investment or getting a friend that has a good camera.

5) Booting you if you're under-performing. If you take mental health breaks when your motivation drops, you can achieve the same effect.

All of the above effects your placement. Studios naturally set their policies and your work schedule to maximize this, but it is something organic to the SM placement matrix. Studios have as much direct control over your placement as you do. Studios that say things like "We guarantee you placement on the first 2 or 3 pages!" is actually a case of the tail wagging the dog. Models that fail to get on those first pages after a short intro period are simply fired/replaced until the studio spaces are filled with models that can do it.
    Last edited by KatyBoleyn; 08-05-2018 at 10:44 AM.

"Daily pay ALL the things!"
    [email protected] - Skype: BoleynModels - "If you haven't heard a rumor by 10am, start one."

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to KatyBoleyn For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 306 Posts
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Having a solid client base will always mean more money than starting again from scratch.
    I think this is related more to consistancy and having a solid account. Besides Jasmin, I wouldn't say other camming platforms give extra traffic for studio models. If they did, they wouldn't have independent successful girls.

Plus, when you work with a studio it's mandatory to keep up with your schedule. When you are your own boss, you tend to get lazy and not push that much (easier schedule, less hours, bigger cut). Some girls don't know how to be disciplined when it comes to working on your own. With a studio, you have a contract, you have fees (for being late, for not working enough hours etc).

Discipline is the road to successful independent camming.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to euro_princess For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine22 View Post
    I spoke with someone recently who used to work for a physical studio. She said she made way more money even though the cut was bigger because her placement was better. I’m curious does anyone else have experience with this, or can tell me if that’s really true?
    Yes, I can say that with Jasmin this is 100% true. Certified LJ studios always have their girls in top spots, and are promoted in diffrent ways by the site. The Top 3 girls are always from one of those studios.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,913 Times in 2,617 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by KatyBoleyn View Post
    Physical studios, at least with Streamate, have no effect whatsoever on your placement.

1) Having you work a specific schedule for a high number of hours. If you work a 25-hour/week regular schedule, you can achieve the same effect.

2) Provide superior tech setups and high-speed business internet than you could otherwise afford from the beginning. If you invest $1500 or so in your own setup and pay for the best wired internet you can get, you can achieve the same effect.

3) Setting standards/restrictions for your appearance and sales technique. If you ensure you're always hustling and selling, you can achieve the same effect.

4) Professionalizing your profile via high-quality photos and video. You can accomplish this also with a small time investment or getting a friend that has a good camera.

5) Booting you if you're under-performing. If you take mental health breaks when your motivation drops, you can achieve the same effect.

All of the above effects your placement. Studios naturally set their policies and your work schedule to maximize this, but it is something organic to the SM placement matrix. Studios have as much direct control over your placement as you do. Studios that say things like "We guarantee you placement on the first 2 or 3 pages!" is actually a case of the tail wagging the dog. Models that fail to get on those first pages after a short intro period are simply fired/replaced until the studio spaces are filled with models that can do it.
    I had a physical studio with SM for five years and had an agreement the performers would be on the top two pages. Physical and virtual studios do usually have some deal with a cam site because studios bring them new performers all the time. I know people think these things are myths but they arent. Just like performers can be contract performers with a studio and be guaranteed top page placement. I was under contract with SM for six years and always on the first page from day one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneBurgess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

When you say business internet, what upload speed would be considered business? I live outside city limits so the highest I've been able to get is 5 mb, I've always wondered if that hurts my placement since I haven't been able to get anything higher?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,127 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girly_Girl View Post
    When you say business internet, what upload speed would be considered business? I live outside city limits so the highest I've been able to get is 5 mb, I've always wondered if that hurts my placement since I haven't been able to get anything higher?
    When we talked to a Romanian studio owner, they had multiple fiber optic lines in the 1000s of mb/s upload range. This means they can simulcast an entire studio full of models to up to 20 websites each, at full quality, if they're feeling ambitious.

So long as your upload speed is adequate (at least 2-5 mb for a single user with nobody else in the house sharing) and you're not running wifi, that aspect of your placement should be ok. You can look on your Streamate profile and see your internet rating that they score you by. "Excellent" means you've maxed out that part of the placement score.

"Daily pay ALL the things!"
    [email protected] - Skype: BoleynModels - "If you haven't heard a rumor by 10am, start one."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KatyBoleyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,987 Times in 3,621 Posts

Personally I'd never give up the convenience of working from home, but I do want to maximize my efforts to get the best placement I can.

I was off for a couple weeks until today recovering from an injury and figured my placement was going to drop a lot. While I was off my internet upload speed was upgraded about 1/3 faster than before, and my placement is even better than before my break, so upload seems to matter a lot. and like Katy said the score will show you. I think i'm finally maxed out on that part.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,554 Times in 2,766 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

No you most definitely are not better off with a studio. They are bottom feeders, concerned ONLY with making money off you. They do not get you better placement. I was never with a studio and got to top row on SM within my first few days, however traffic was still shitty. Being higher up doesn't mean you are guaranteed to make more. Anything a studio can do for you, you can do better on your own, and keep more of the profit!

if no one is complaining about the price, the price is too low!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would say work in a studio if you absolutely 100% cannot work at home. Really all you need to place on top is super fast internet. I’ve been on the top row before because my internet was doing great no WiFi and no one was sharing it with me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kendallkushxo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

When we talked to a Romanian studio owner, they had multiple fiber optic lines in the 1000s of mb/s upload range. This means they can simulcast an entire studio full of models to up to 20 websites each, at full quality, if they're feeling ambitious.

So long as your upload speed is adequate (at least 2-5 mb for a single user with nobody else in the house sharing) and you're not running wifi, that aspect of your placement should be ok. You can look on your Streamate profile and see your internet rating that they score you by. "Excellent" means you've maxed out that part of the placement score.
    thank u I'm not the only one in the house using internet and I'm not on wi fi, my internet rating says excellent but does that mean that I am maxed out there? Or could it be better if I was to eventually be able to get even faster internet when it comes available?

Trying to delete this comment but it won't let me, I am going to come back and edit this later tonight!
    Last edited by Girly_Girl; 08-08-2018 at 05:43 AM.