Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My twin keeps using my name when confronted with cops because she has warrants

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 780 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow

Default My twin keeps using my name when confronted with cops because she has warrants

I'm sure at least some of you have read the thread about my sister and my former best friend secretly recording me while I was drunk and saving the video. I am completely sure that my twin is trying to ruin my life. It isn't working, but I am having another problem with her:

She has had warrants for almost/around 7 years. She's a severe heroin addict and alcoholic, so she is extremely scared to go to jail because she doesn't want to withdraw there (it would be quite dangerous).

So, for the last 7 years, whenever she has had any contact with law enforcement, she gives them my name. She pretends to be me. I have asked her as well as commanded her not to do this, but she does it anyway. One time they searched her purse and found needles, but thankfully they were not opened yet so she lied and said they were for her step dad's insulin, all the while pretending to be me.

She knows I don't want her to do this, so every time she does it she laughs about it as she tells me because she knows it's going to upset me. She also drives drunk all the time. At some point down the line I'm going to have to take the Bar Exam and pass a Character and Fitness test, and I don't want there to be a dozen police reports with my name in them. I also don't want to find out some time down the road that I have a warrant for something I didn't do at a place I was never was.

My family all know that she does this and obviously they think it's bullshit but there's no stopping her.

I am conflicted on how to handle this.
    "Rather have my feet hurting than my pockets."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 631 Posts

Default Re: My twin keeps using my name when confronted with cops because she has warrants

Go to your local police station and tell them you have a twin, give her name, and tell them that she uses your name when she gets in trouble. Its only a matter of time until she gets arrested, and that will make things MUCH worse for you if she uses your name, gets out on bail....and then just never shows up. Then you have a warrant against you. And will probably be a major problem clearing that up, and proving it wasnt you in the 1st place.

Also, what do you think is more dangerous....going through withdrawal in prison, or continuing to be addicted to heroin?

the average life expectancy of a hardcore heroin addict is 15-20 years once they start......so if she started when she was 20, odds are she will be dead by 40. Prison isnt the most dangerous thing for her.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lemiwinks31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Default Re: My twin keeps using my name when confronted with cops because she has warrants

Jail would be best for her if it it weren't for the withdrawal. She'd have time be clean for the longest she's every been (her record before her last failed rehab was four days, I think she was clean longer than that last time but she's been to rehab like 8 times).

If she goes to jail, will they catch her when they do her fingerprints? Obviously she's been to jail before, and I have been there before but my record is clean. I've never been convicted of a crime, but I have been fingerprinted, jailed, and bonded out later.

I'd rather it not go that far, though. I just want to resolve this. Like I feel I need to go to Secretary of State and get a copy of my driving record because I know I've never gotten a ticket so if one is on there she used my name.

The story she bragged about to me was one where her boyfriend got arrested and I know the city it was in. I'm thinking of going to police station there, getting a copy of the police report for his arrest. If my name is in it I'm going to tell them it was not there. The person who helped her bail him out already said they will let the police know it my sister and not me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,544 Times in 3,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_ View Post
    Jail would be best for her if it it weren't for the withdrawal. She'd have time be clean for the longest she's every been (her record before her last failed rehab was four days, I think she was clean longer than that last time but she's been to rehab like 8 times).

If she goes to jail, will they catch her when they do her fingerprints? Obviously she's been to jail before, and I have been there before but my record is clean. I've never been convicted of a crime, but I have been fingerprinted, jailed, and bonded out later.

I'd rather it not go that far, though. I just want to resolve this. Like I feel I need to go to Secretary of State and get a copy of my driving record because I know I've never gotten a ticket so if one is on there she used my name.

The story she bragged about to me was one where her boyfriend got arrested and I know the city it was in. I'm thinking of going to police station there, getting a copy of the police report for his arrest. If my name is in it I'm going to tell them it was not there. The person who helped her bail him out already said they will let the police know it my sister and not me.
    Damn how is she still alive if she is that deep into addiction? Yikes.

Yeah go get the police report. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Sounds like a very stressful situation.
    Beware the Pinkie Drama Queen...w000000 LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Thanks. She revels in my stress.

And I forgot to mention regarding the withdrawal... It's not just the heroin, it's the alcohol that I'm the most worried about. She drinks morning, day, night, middle of the night. She'll have awful alcohol withdrawal and it can give DTs, seizures, and death. And dealing with the heroin withdrawals too... her body would be deprived.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

I could always tell the police, then tell her to go to rehab to detox before the cops find her. But she will do anything to get away from the cops. It's a shame she's never had police contact while we were both there lol but I don't hang out the with her.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,529 Times in 2,597 Posts

I think it would be a good idea to discuss this with a lawyer if you're able to afford one. Have you ever tried to convince your sister to go to rehab?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,746 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the two of you together you could show law enforcement? Do either of you have any distinguishing features such as a mole or scar?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,783 Times in 5,965 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I’m a bit confused. She doesn’t have your ID or social security so I don’t think she’d get too far with law enforcement by trying to impersonate you.
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 08-09-2018 at 05:58 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the two of you together you could show law enforcement? Do either of you have any distinguishing features such as a mole or scar?
    I was going to suggest you start coloring your hair a different color until this mess gets sorted out.

I think OP is worried that her name will end up associated with sis's misdeeds. On police reports full names of people at "events" are taken down.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

^ so youre saying misdeeds where the ID is not being asked for?

Then yeah I’d make sure to look totally different so it’s easy for the layperson to distinguish between the two

19. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Please listen to me when I tell you your sister is being abusive towards you. She is using you as a cover where you will take the consequences (if you haven’t already), and LAUGHING at your helplessness as she brags because she knows you won’t do anything about it. She’s holding her addiction against you so she is allowed to use you and brag about it. That’s sickening to me and I would NEVER allow my sisters to do that to me (they wouldn’t anyway, but I understand not everyone is as fortunate).

Listen, I’ve dealt with abuse from my parents and these people do not care about you. They don’t care that you’ll take the heat for them and they’d never do the same for you in return. PLEASE go to the police and tell them you have a twin sister that has been using your name, and if anything is on your record try to get a lawyer involved if the police can’t do anything about it. Record your conversations next time you ask her about this and she laughs and brags about it.

Blood is not thicker than water. In fact that quote is cut short. The full version is actually “blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb,” which means the opposite. Your sister is taking advantage of you, using you and clearly finds pleasure in your helplessness. You need to think about yourself. You can either help her cover her ass now (where she is clearly not grateful and wouldn’t do the same for you) or help YOURSELF for the rest of your life and do something. I know it’s hard for us empathetics to do the latter but I urge you to do so.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Piper328 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Side note- continual abuse of alcohol and other drugs can cause cognitive problems and blackouts. NOT an excuse for what's going on but in the moment your sister's chemically altered brain is probably capable of much worse than your current headache. Definitely get some legal advice from a lawyer you can retain.

I'm not going to say anything else because this situation is so grim and terrible. Best of luck.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post

Then yeah I’d make sure to look totally different so it’s easy for the layperson to distinguish between the two
    I think its possible that she just doesnt carry ID....so when she gets in trouble and tells them nina's name, they look up her id, sees that the pic matches, and assumes its a positive ID without checking much farther. It would be an incovenience now to straighten it out...but when she gets into more trouble, it could get a lot worse for nina.

Dont rely on them getting the fingerprints straightened out.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lemiwinks31 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemiwinks31 View Post
    I think its possible that she just doesnt carry ID....so when she gets in trouble and tells them nina's name, they look up her id, sees that the pic matches, and assumes its a positive ID without checking much farther. It would be an incovenience now to straighten it out...but when she gets into more trouble, it could get a lot worse for nina.

Dont rely on them getting the fingerprints straightened out.
    That is what I was thinking. The evil twin probably does not carry identification.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to discuss this with a lawyer if you're able to afford one. Have you ever tried to convince your sister to go to rehab?
    I work for a lawyer in my vanilla job. He gives me advice, but since he doesn't have the same very difficult relationship that I have with my twin so things aren't just white and black like many lawyers generally think.

I have helped my sister get into rehab many times and even paid her rent for a halfway house years ago so she could avoid jail. She has been to rehab I think 8 times, but always leaves on day 3 or 4 after she's done detoxing, so she can go get high again.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Yes, I have a couple family pics on our Facebook and we have different tattoos.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post

No, when she has police interaction she tells them she's me and that she doesn't have her ID with her. They run my name in their system and see that we look enough alike, so they take her word for it and treat her as if she is me and as if I just forgot to bring my ID. That in itself is another problem for me.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Well I just called the city where she has her warrant. It's from 2011. The woman ran my name as well and I have no warrants (at least not in that city, she wasn't specific about much). She says I should come into the station and file a police report for fraud and obstructing an officer's investigation.

Banned
    Thanks

Yes, I have a couple family pics on our Facebook and we have different tattoos.
    Probably be a good idea to carry copies of those.

If she has outstanding warrants, why cant she be arrested on them so they can be closed?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Probably be a good idea to carry copies of those.

If she has outstanding warrants, why cant she be arrested on them so they can be closed?
    That's the entire reason she uses my name... so she won't be arrested on the warrants.

She has been homeless and/or without an official address for more of the 7ish years of the warrants than not, so it's not like the cops can just go off of whatever address is on her state ID or driver's license or whatever she has.
    Last edited by Nina_; 08-10-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Is there some way you can arrange a meeting?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

A meeting to accomplish what? Talking to her solves nothing.

I was texting her last night specifically saying "I have repeatedly asked you to stop using my name and you still do it. Please stop doing this." And she responds saying, "that was months ago, why are you bringing it up now?" (I screenshotted all of this to show it to the police. Then I brought up the time a couple years ago when she used my name when she had needles on her and she was like, "those are from CVS so they're perfectly legal." So I have some evidence to show to the police.

Also, I called the city where her boyfriend was arrested so I know there will be a police report. I told the officer my situation, he asked for my name which I gave... I said, "I have my sister's boyfriend's last name, too," but the officer said, "no, it's okay, I found it," which basically let me know that it was my name on the report. He didn't even ask for my sister's name. He asked my age, birthday, address, etc and after I said all that, he said, "Well, I'm not allowed to tell you over the phone, but if I were you I'd come to the records department when we open on Monday so you can get a copy of the report." So I'm like, "so basically you can't tell me over the phone, but I'm sure you wouldn't be telling me to make the trip out there for nothing, so I can assume it is my name in the report?" And he said, "Yes, it's a definite possibility."

Also, apparently I can put a flash flag on my license so if I (or my sister) get pulled over, it will alert the police that someone has been using my identity and I'll be required to show a secondary license. Idk the specifics, but I hope there will be some option where you can add a scar, tattoo, etc to also be identified with but I doubt it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

No, when she has police interaction she tells them she's me and that she doesn't have her ID with her. They run my name in their system and see that we look enough alike, so they take her word for it and treat her as if she is me and as if I just forgot to bring my ID. That in itself is another problem for me.

Ohhhh! Ok. Well I’d report their asses for not following protocol and asking for ID. They’d have to know that twins, triplets, etc do exist and one may commit a crime but if no ID is asked for then that would lead to in essence aiding criminal activity of identity theft.

I would think Department of transportation and law enforcement would work together to prevent identical twins/triplets/etc from stealing one another’s identity. But maybe since the “evil twin” scenario is so rare they probably have no safeguards in place. Idk.

I’d think the only thing, without taking legal action, is to 1) look/act totally different from her 2) move/change address on ID give no one the address/use PO box for everything else and 3) file a report with local law enforcement and notify them she is stealing your identity and if they don’t legally ask her for ID or to accurately identify herself then you will report them for aiding identity theft. If she were intentionally waltzing around with no ID, acting in a suspicious manner, then This would either force them to detain her (where they could verify her identity through methods such as search warrants, fingerprints, etc) or simply let her go.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...ce-officer.htm

*i am not a licensed lawyer though it may ease your mind to consult with one
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; 08-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Is there some way you can arrange a meeting?
    Idk if he meant a meeting between your foot and her ass or an actual “hey bubbles let’s talk about this” meeting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast