Thread: keto diet/getting into ketosis experiences?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 709 Posts

Default keto diet/getting into ketosis experiences?

i previously thought really negatively about this diet, because i thought it meant consuming a ton of bacon and cheese. and i thought it wouldn't be sustainable, and you only lose water weight because of the very low carbs, and as soon as you stop you gain back that (water) weight.

But... what entices me is the 'state of ketosis', which they describe as being full of energy and having a ton of focus and clarity. I struggle with that, so I am inclined to give it a try. More so for these benefits than weightless.

Has anybody been in ketosis before? Pros and cons? I also found some research saying that you can get into ketosis through fasting, but i'm looking for something that will give me energy and focus longer term.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Default Re: keto diet/getting into ketosis experiences?

update: so i posted this a while ago, i lasted a whole week (lol) and then got drunk and binged on carbs the next day, started over and lasted about a week again. i then heard a lot of people saying kept can cause hairloss, and being that i struggle with that already i stopped.

i don't think it's a bad diet but i don't know if it's truly healthy long term. it felt good not having a lot of water weight and bloating on me though, because of the less than 10 grams of carbs i couldn't retain a lot of water.

Seattle, traveling to Vegas, Dallas, Nola, Charlotte, Tampa
    Thanks

Yeah itís a crappy diet bc you canít cheat, you have to be perfect or you canít stay in ketosis.

I did keto recently and I have good and bad things to say. Keto flu was horrible, I felt dizzy, couldnít concentrate, vertigo. While i was in a class at school, i felt like a person with ADD, I was very aggravated and couldnít sit still and felt like I was going to freak out if I didnít get up from where I was sitting immediately and GET OUT.

I had a lot of energy when I was in ketosis, felt great. I did spend a ton on groceries and I was always cooking. I have a vanilla job too and not a ton of free time between that and dancing so that was tricky for me to cook and to find time to get to the grocery when I ran low on acceptable foods.

Finally, why I stopped the diet: I am a runner, I run about 30+ miles per week. On keto, I was short of breath all the time. I couldnít walk up a flight of stairs, couldnít walk across an inclined parking lot, without needing to rest. It isnít uncommon for me to go do a 7 mile run, on keto I could not run a quarter mile because I couldnít breathe. I also got winded doing dances at work.

Ate a plate of spaghetti and this shortness of breath completely stopped, I tested by going for a 5 miler, did it no problem.

Did it for 6 weeks. Did not lose a single pound.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinksugardoll For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinksugardoll View Post
    Yeah it’s a crappy diet bc you can’t cheat, you have to be perfect or you can’t stay in ketosis.

I did keto recently and I have good and bad things to say. Keto flu was horrible, I felt dizzy, couldn’t concentrate, vertigo. While i was in a class at school, i felt like a person with ADD, I was very aggravated and couldn’t sit still and felt like I was going to freak out if I didn’t get up from where I was sitting immediately and GET OUT.

I had a lot of energy when I was in ketosis, felt great. I did spend a ton on groceries and I was always cooking. I have a vanilla job too and not a ton of free time between that and dancing so that was tricky for me to cook and to find time to get to the grocery when I ran low on acceptable foods.

Finally, why I stopped the diet: I am a runner, I run about 30+ miles per week. On keto, I was short of breath all the time. I couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs, couldn’t walk across an inclined parking lot, without needing to rest. It isn’t uncommon for me to go do a 7 mile run, on keto I could not run a quarter mile because I couldn’t breathe. I also got winded doing dances at work.

Ate a plate of spaghetti and this shortness of breath completely stopped, I tested by going for a 5 miler, did it no problem.

Did it for 6 weeks. Did not lose a single pound.

omg wow... i tried starting again today and already failed lol. i guess i am not all the way convinced it's a great diet. eating clean is something i can get more behind.

Thanks

I tried to the keto diet, but I paired it with intermittent fasting. I'm slightly overweight (technically considered obese), and my goal is to be back to my pre-baby body of 130 lbs (8 years and counting). When I started I was 195 lbs (morning weight) so I'm sure I was breaking 200 with 1 meal. It was depressing. I stayed with it firmly for 3 weeks, and although it was miserable and tough as hell, I found that I lost 10 lbs. That was amazing for me, because I'd only been gaining. I fell off the bandwagon though because I just wanted my mocha coffee and I had plateaued for the week. I had a binge day, but then after I buttoned down again and stayed at it for another 2 weeks. I am currently down 20 lbs officially, but then the winter hit. Again, I have gained 5 lbs back and am at 175 lbs. I have found that the intermittent fasting is easy peasy, but keto is hard af to keep doing.
    ~Ms Construed
    Twitter: @MissConstrued13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MsConstrued For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,606 Times in 1,370 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

^^ I have been doing IF for pretty much my whole life because it just suited me to eat once or twice a day and it wasnt until a few years back that I heard that this was actually a "thing!" People always thought I was weird and then I met my husband who literally eats only dinner! He is the healthiest person I know despite being really unhealthy (smoker, not exercising, heavy meat diet). I dont know if IF is for everyone but I love it! Keto I did for a min and I couldnt keep it up. Its too strict and to easy to come out of keto. I didnt have any of the Keto flu or anything but I almost never eat junk food, I could count on one hand the junk food I eat in a year. I cook everyday for myself and still Keto was too strict. I just want to eat what I want to eat! Maybe today I want chicken but tomorrow I only want soup and a sandwich so I had to switch back.

Thanks

I tried it for about 2 weeks. I started getting gall bladder pain toward the end of that, plus went on a weekend campout party and ate random camp food, got out of ketosis. Keto flu sucked for about 4-5 days, loooowwww energy and fatigue but I also felt "good" in a way; no more sugar crashes!!! I had very steady energy levels and lost water weight, and was almost never hungry, had to remind myself to eat, no hypoglycemia hangry sugar crashes... but It ultimately wasn't sustainable: I am very active with a high metabolism, and I think some carbs are good for me. So now I just make sure to eat lots and lots of healthy fats, a good amount of protein, try to eat lots of greens (I suck at this, need to get better) and limit carbs. In that order. If I try to limit carbs before making sure I have lots of good fats and proteins keeping me satiated, it fails miserably. That's the balance that works for me. I don't count carbs or any macros... I just get a very small scoop of rice with my thai curry instead of a big scoop of rice, know what I mean? And focus on the fats, proteins, and veg.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Adrienne7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,880 Posts

Pro-tip...what might work better than keto for a lot of people is the "80/20 Raw diet"......It's 80% fresh foods/unprocessed foods and then 20% "other" (could be meat, or just normal food, with occasional "junk" allowed.)

Raw food diets were a huge fad in Hollywood about 2 decades ago. BUT there are some risks to a totally raw food diet, like irritation of some internal organs, and painful gas/bloating.
    He who controls the spice controls the universe, chingada madre

LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors