Thread: How badly does an unpaid medical bill affect credit?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,099 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Default How badly does an unpaid medical bill affect credit?

I went to an urgent care recently & didn't get any blood work or any lab anything done & got a bill from them for $1000. I literally saw the Dr for 5 mins & he just looked at my leg & sent me home. I'm not paying that bc it's insane & I don't have insurance right now bc I don't qualify.

How bad does it affect my credit if I don't pay it?

Thanks
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 706 Posts

Default Re: How badly does an unpaid medical bill affect credit?

Maybe ask for an itemized receipt, talk that down if possible, and request a payment plan if it's still a high bill.

In general though, doctors offices have one price for insurance and another much lower one for uninsured patients.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lol1337a For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Do tell them you don't have insurance, there will be a lower price. Ask for a payment plan, even if you tell them you can only pay $10 per month. If they agree, do keep your commitment. Don't be afraid to speak up, most of these places just assume insurance will cover it.
    (My son was recently staying at a hotel for a friend's wedding, had a small cut, asked the front desk for a bandaide, they said it was their policy to call an ambulance. Bills for the $1,800 ambulance ride are still coming despite insurance that will supposedly pay it... #BrokenMedicalSystem)

Quote Originally Posted by lol1337a View Post
    Maybe ask for an itemized receipt, talk that down if possible, and request a payment plan if it's still a high bill.

In general though, doctors offices have one price for insurance and another much lower one for uninsured patients.
    Originally Posted by anjelina
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CFMNH44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Ok , I'll do that then, I couldn't believe that amount. Wasn't even a hospital or ER, just said urgent care.

"Respect is a dying art"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 667 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

You can go on Credit Karma and they have a predictor tool that will predict how positively/negatively certain actions will affect your credit. In short? Refusing to pay a bill and letting it go to collections will make your credit take a severe hit.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I did hear from multiple people that medical bills don't really affect it as much as say an unpaid credit card, etc. Basically that they dismiss medical bills when trying to get an apt, car, etc.

"Respect is a dying art"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,455 Times in 3,162 Posts

They don't really. I had an ER bill that I let stay in collections for a similar amount & it never bothered me through several apartments & 2 car loans. I felt the same as you, "I'm not paying that simply because it's absurd".

The new FICO model gives you 180 days before they're allowed to send it to collections, if you change your mind. VantageScore also treats medical debt as less important for your score than other collection types, so there's that too.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."
    - Lux ATL

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    They don't really. I had an ER bill that I let stay in collections for a similar amount & it never bothered me through several apartments & 2 car loans. I felt the same as you, "I'm not paying that simply because it's absurd".

The new FICO model gives you 180 days before they're allowed to send it to collections, if you change your mind. VantageScore also treats medical debt as less important for your score than other collection types, so there's that too.
    That's a relief to hear I was gonna pay it of it were like $100 or something realistic but 1000 they can eat it lol.

"Respect is a dying art"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    That's a relief to hear I was gonna pay it of it were like $100 or something realistic but 1000 they can eat it lol.
    Great attitude, but if you called and said you don't have insurance and offered 100 to settle the debt without further hassle for anyone, they would probably take it. Medical providers on average only get 10-15 percent of the bill anyway, that's partly why costs are so inflated.
    Now he said it a third time, and Ona drew a deep breath;

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynn2009 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 910 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post

Just a few years ago uninsured were 3 times as likely to declare bankruptcy due to medical bills, and 29% of lower income people who declared bankruptcy say that medical bills drove them to it. Now to hear the bureaus tell it:
    "VantageScore 4.0 will be the first to largely ignore several types of negative credit-file records, such as medical-collections accounts, tax liens and public records. "
    VantageScore 3.0 already ignores paid collections.
    Where am I? دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة (UAE baby)

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was uninsured for ever and used to go to the er for things as simple as uti bc i didnt want to pay cash at a dr. And thankfully its never shown up on my credit. Ive gotten billed before but out of sight out of mind. Worst advice ever. Dont be like me hhaha

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meowxo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,041 Times in 4,974 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by CFMNH44 View Post
    Do tell them you don't have insurance, there will be a lower price. Ask for a payment plan, even if you tell them you can only pay $10 per month. If they agree, do keep your commitment. Don't be afraid to speak up, most of these places just assume insurance will cover it.
    (My son was recently staying at a hotel for a friend's wedding, had a small cut, asked the front desk for a bandaide, they said it was their policy to call an ambulance. Bills for the $1,800 ambulance ride are still coming despite insurance that will supposedly pay it... #BrokenMedicalSystem)
    They can't bill you for an ambulance if you refuse to get in it or their service. If you're still conscious then you can refuse an ambulance and they will go away without billing you. If he didn't call them, he should be able to dispute those charges. Unless he hopped in the back for the worlds most expensive bandaid?

To the op call the billing department and question each and every charge. And then see what you can get removed.

I had to go to a hospital back in July and I received two different bills. They'd charged me for blood work and a catscan thingy twice? Ask lots of questions and then set up a payment plan once all of your questions have been answered. Then pay the agreed upon amount on time to avoid having it reported to credit agencies. Its kinda like buying a car, never accept the price on the ticket.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,311 Times in 777 Posts
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries

I agree with everyone above. Medical debt is the most common debt in America.

I used Dave Ramsey’s settlement letters from his book. Just make sure you send it so you get a receipt for the letter and/ or payment.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 596 Posts

I have insurance, but I routinely ask for the cash price. Usually it's a lot lower than the "insured" price. Also, if you go to a not-for-profit hospital like Duke University Hospital, and you really can't afford the bill, just say so. They will make you a deal for what you can afford. It's a part of their mission.

HTH
    Z

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

I had my moment in the ER from debilitating pain in my stomach where I could hardly move and rivaled child birth. Their itemized BS is unreal. I only got a urine sample and it was like 1750 for walking in and for like 5-10 minutes. They overcharge for everything. I would consider negotiating the price down.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post: