Thread: Getting back into dancing after years away

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Getting back into dancing after years away

Hi guys! So Im planning to go back to dancing after giving it up several years ago. I never wanted to give it up in the first place, but I was working at a high end club, where I was made to feel very bad about myself, and was told to take two weeks off to 'lose weight', at 7 1/2st! I was recovering from an eating disorder anyway, and so made the decision to walk away altogether.
    Now I am feeling confident enough to go back. I feel passionate about it, and plan to work more locally so that travel is easier for me. The only thing I am worried about is that I have never been strong on the pole (to say the least), and I have no-one to practice my moves on,lol! Ive been watching a lot of youtube dance tutorials, but Im scared I could have lost my moves after so long away! The club Im aiming for provide full dance training, so Im hopeful, and I have just joined a ladies only gym, which will give me a bit more confidence in my body again.
    I suppose I am just looking for any advice anyone can give me about going back after a long time away, and getting my confidence back with it. I dont know any dancers, so have no-one I can really ask about this stuff.
    Many thanks in advance!xx

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Default Re: Getting back into dancing after years away

Take it slow when you do go back. I am having this same worry as I look at going back after several years away. Pole was always my happy place, but I have hardly gotten any pole play at all since I quit dancing.

You say you were never strong on the pole before, but if you had a few good moves that were solid, the muscle memory will come back. It will just take some time to build enough strength to start practising tricks safely, and being able to do them safely is the most important thing! It's good that you've joined a gym to build yourself up, maybe taking a few pole classes as well to work out some of the kinks would be helpful too.

I always made sure to arrive early so I had plenty of time to stretch/warm up, then have some time to play around on stage before it got busy. My first set was always slower music where I could just take my time and get acclimated, get into performance mode.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jalena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

I did have a few pole lessons a couple of years back. I feel like I really need to order a pole to practice at home, but Im lacking in space!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Get a used pole I got mine for $15. I never danced before, started at a small, slow club and am moving into a bigger club now. If I can do it anyone can. itll come back to you quick.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainerose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

I have ordered a pole, just waiting for it to arrive now! The club I want to work at called me today, and will contact me again when they have a space free, so thats something.