Thread: How often do you work out?

Thanks

Default How often do you work out?

How often do you work out, if at all? Do you change your workout intensity based on whether or not you're working that night?

I go through periods of working out all the time or not at all, lol. Over the past several months I went from never working out to exercising nearly 5 times a week and honestly I don't think it made much difference in the way I look (I make sure to eat fairly healthy also). I definitely felt better but I don't feel I trimmed down or bulked up noticably (though maybe I just can't tell on myself). It's now been 5 days since I last worked out and I need to get my butt back to the gym, but since I don't think I really look different since before I started, I can't motivate myself to go in lol.

Anyways I'm curious how often other dancers work out. During periods where I've worked more than 4 days a week, I usually wouldn't work out at all since I'd always be tired from my shifts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to somechick99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,181 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Re: How often do you work out?

I definitely feel like I have more energy and stuff after I work out, so I try to make it happen regardless of how many shifts I'm working.

At home I'll usually just pick a program and run with it, I've gone as little as 1-2 times a week (4 days rest between workouts, on a heavy heavy program so it was needed) to 5 or 6.

When I'm traveling I typically do a 5 or 6 day a week program because then I can just shower at the gym and not deal with having to do that in dancer accommodation. In a hotel setup it's fine but I've done houses where it's been as many as 7 girls sharing one bathroom so that just makes life a lot easier.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperJa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,586 Times in 3,793 Posts

Confession- I'm following this b/c I need to work out again. I've been "eating my feelings" and it shows.

I used to work out 3-4 times a week.

Now I only move if I take the dog out so he can do his thing. Bad, I know.
    Beware the Pinkie Drama Queen...w000000 LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 845 Posts

I used to work out a lot. I have an elliptical now and I don't really like it. What I like the most is a treadmill. Honestly I feel like when I work out I don't see a difference in my body either. I made a goal with my Dr today to start working out at least twice a week. So that's what I will start doing for now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JGB2009 For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

It depends how much time I have. When I'm working more, 3-5 times a week. This includes long distance running and I've added strength training last few years to tone up, though I've slacked on my core. As of late, I've had more time to run, so much that I can feel myself on the verge of injury. I'm small-framed but naturally flabby and with a thyroid issue that I'm keeping at bay and a big appetite especially when stressed or bored, so lots of time at the gym is important for me to look my best. I think how much time you need at the gym in order to look good for work is highly individual. I'd say, aim for a minimum of thirty minutes a day on average.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I used to do cardio but haven't done a lick of cardio in months. I wanna say the only reason I'm toned is I eat healthy most of the time with enough protein.. I lift very occasionally. And other random shit like ab work. Pole tricks keep shit tight too don't even have to be a pole diva I'm not.

I don't have a definite answer but I don't workout a lot. Just stay at a good weight eat protein work on my muscles.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to random stripper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I workout everyday but mostly I think diet has the most to do with how I look. I do
    Intermittent fasting also. I workout for the mental
    Clarity and stress release. I do a mixture of running, stair master and yoga/body weight exercises.also
    if Im not feeling up for a full workout Ill just go on a long walk..

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole88 For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

A civilian friend got me into CrossFit and Olympic lifting a few years back. I find that making my legs and back stronger really helps with the physical demands of dancing. It also changed my physique which helped me stand out at work. When I’m working 2 shifts or more a week I only go to the gym twice a week to conserve my energy. When I first started doing strength sports I was going through a bad period of burnout so I was only working Saturday nights and going to the gym 3 or sometimes 4 days a week. Right now I’m not dancing and I go 3x/week.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lurkingtitties For This Useful Post:

Thanks

personally for me nothing worked until I started jumping rope, in the style of a boxer, I put a movie on my computer or music and jump for about an hour doing short breaks. I am a girl who loves to eat so like a little of everything, my brain did not understand the diets I suppose ... since it only fattened . I also use an application called Fitonomy which is very fun for me, i train almost every day

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evalesauvage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 416 Posts
    My Mood
    Tired

im working out almost everyday (except this past week, stomach flu) but usually i do 35 minutes on the treadmill (2.25 miles ) and then I try to do some strength training later during the day with resistance bands or weights sometimes . i'm noticing a different in my shape and i like it . it's addicting.
    Your body is your temple.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Violethollywood For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 703 Posts

i love working out but i look better if i don't, and just dance at the club. i look leaner and eat less, working out makes me so hungry so i get a bulky look.

but i do love it, i haven't worked out in 2 months because of surgery but can't wait to go back. i normally go 5 times a week on average.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to crystalize For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

I used to spend hours at the gym but with my heavy sports background my entire life I got sick of feeling like a hamster on a wheel on the "dreadmill".....My workout is going to work now and thats it. LOL.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Five days a week, sometimes four. Plus I have a physically active straight job. I have my pole at home I practice with (though I still go to the studio regularly), I do yoga, Ill swim (especially because I was 19 before I ever learned how to). I do go to the gym on occasion, but Im really not keen on it too many thirsty guys who cant grasp the notion of, Im here for my workout, not to make some sort of connection.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    Five days a week, sometimes four. Plus I have a physically active straight job. I have my pole at home I practice with (though I still go to the studio regularly), I do yoga, I’ll swim (especially because I was 19 before I ever learned how to). I do go to the gym on occasion, but I’m really not keen on it… too many thirsty guys who can’t grasp the notion of, “I’m here for my workout, not to make some sort of connection”.

Ugh yeah I have gym phobia because guys are so creepy and weird/dumb.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to random stripper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,830 Times in 5,982 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Especially when they’re grunting loudly like some cave Neanderthals in heat or when they’re recklessly trying to prove their strength, lifting weights too heavy for them, then proceed to drop/slam the weights on the way down

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Now that I'm working from home, I am forcing myself, I started doing Jillian Michaels again on Amazon prime, I signed up for a trail and will but the devs because cheaper. I'm trying to walk around more now that it's cooler too.
    xoxo

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by random stripper View Post
    Ugh yeah I have gym phobia because guys are so creepy and weird/dumb.

And Ive learned never to smile at the gym, because that apparently broadcasts a message of, Im in heat and need to mate
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Blog Entries

I take pole classes once or twice a week--depends on how much I'm dancing at the club. My club is very stage-centric and I really bust my ass onstage, so I'm usually pretty tired the next day.

I run 3 miles once or twice a week and follow that with 15 minutes of yoga for flexibility. And I walk or bike almost everywhere I go.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Winged Dinghy For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,331 Times in 781 Posts
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries

I can be self conscious about people thinking I’m weird. I can’t help but feel every guys energy when I’m lifting weights. I told myself, “it’s all in your head. I’m not that important. Everyone is focusing on their own workout.” After reading this thread, it’s definitely not just in my head-it’s in theirs. I’m not that pretty-especially at the gym...lol. But guys are guys.

4 days a week. I’m cutting it down to 3 though, so I don’t fall off the pole and face plant from exhaustion...haha.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Usually 6 days a week
    I do weight training and spinning/treadmill for cardio myself. In addition I also have some classes with different exercises and posing techniques with focus an figure/bikini athletes.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbe For This Useful Post: