Thread: Educational plan bummer? I will find a match.

Thanks

Mind Blowing Educational plan bummer? I will find a match.

So I come a very large metro area in a state where I only have two possible options for education. I check the one in the area where there are more other professional opportunities and such...And I go tour the school where I would spend almost almost all of my time and I literally have to lable the location "deplorable." I am licking my wounds...I have few good choices left, even in the next adjescent state. Part of me thinks I could go back to my first plan in the State I left 9 weeks ago. God Education, and I mean like 60k to 90 k, that's not a decision to take lightly. I want my needs met. I will be there almost or slightly over possibly four years as my goal. If I go backwards, I will only get s smaller degree in 2.75 years? I so not in a simple situation

Thanks
    Thanked 9,588 Times in 3,794 Posts

Default Re: Educational plan bummer? I will find a match.

Go for the smaller degree. You can PM me if you want...
    Beware the Pinkie Drama Queen...w000000 LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 782 Posts
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    Go for the smaller degree. You can PM me if you want...
    I agree.

Take care sweetie. Just baby step it and take it one day at time you’ll figure something out
    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 10-28-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Have you thought of going to school online? There are many schools that are fully accredited (make sure any school you go to is accredited) where you can get your undergraduate aka your bachelor's degree completely online.

For example Arizona State University Tempe.

Also not to discourage or be negative I would like to offer two tips I wished someone mentioned to me before I got my bachelor's degree. 1) When picking a degree aka the subject you will study in, remember to think ahead to your ability to get employed with said degree and also 2) getting a education doesn't mean you will get a job in that field or even a decent paying job in general. I have my Bachelor's degree, no criminal record, no hideous face tattoos, living in a large metropolitan area, with my own personal transportation but the only jobs willing to hire me right now are low paying aka minimum wage jobs in the customer service field.

And the funny thing is all of these jobs are requesting you have a bachelor's degree to be considered for the position! Which I find funny as hell, as they're only offering $10-$11 an hour but demanding employees have expensive $40k+ degrees. ������ Isn't that messed up paying that much for a education for fucking minimum wage huh!!!! The job market in America sucks ass right now.
    So yeah...

Again I wish you the best of luck on your studies and hope I didn't come across as negative or rude.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to queenelayliah For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by queenelayliah View Post
    Have you thought of going to school online? There are many schools that are fully accredited (make sure any school you go to is accredited) where you can get your undergraduate aka your bachelor's degree completely online.

For example Arizona State University Tempe.

Also not to discourage or be negative I would like to offer two tips I wished someone mentioned to me before I got my bachelor's degree. 1) When picking a degree aka the subject you will study in, remember to think ahead to your ability to get employed with said degree and also 2) getting a education doesn't mean you will get a job in that field or even a decent paying job in general. I have my Bachelor's degree, no criminal record, no hideous face tattoos, living in a large metropolitan area, with my own personal transportation but the only jobs willing to hire me right now are low paying aka minimum wage jobs in the customer service field.

And the funny thing is all of these jobs are requesting you have a bachelor's degree to be considered for the position! Which I find funny as hell, as they're only offering $10-$11 an hour but demanding employees have expensive $40k+ degrees. ������ Isn't that messed up paying that much for a education for fucking minimum wage huh!!!! The job market in America sucks ass right now.
    So yeah...

Again I wish you the best of luck on your studies and hope I didn't come across as negative or rude.
    Thanks for sharing. That was exactly what I needed to hear.

I have a recovery friend who decided in her 40’s to be a doctor. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I think we’ve been brainwashed in society to look outside ourselves for approval-often through education and career-they have become more status symbol than a way to learn a skill and to actually think for oneself . I think if it’s affordable everyone should have a college degree. I’m not hating on education because knowledge is power. Women with an education have the power to change the world and empower themselves.

There’s a still small voice telling us what we already know we need to do if we listen.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouseekamy View Post

I have a recovery friend who decided in her 40’s to be a doctor. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I think we’ve been brainwashed in society to look outside ourselves for approval-often through education and career-they have become more status symbol than a way to learn a skill and to actually think for oneself . I think if it’s affordable everyone should have a college degree. I’m not hating on education because knowledge is power. Women with an education have the power to change the world and empower themselves.

There’s a still small voice telling us what we already know we need to do if we listen.
    YES I agree with you 100%. I picked my degree because that was a subjwct I loved and had a passion for and truly wanted to study in & learn more about. At the time the money didnt matter to me just the knowledge did. But now at the nice ripe old age of 26 I feel extremely unsuccessful with my life. Like you stated I started to seek approval through a career and since I dont have one right now (does phone sex count?) I feel unaccomplished, useless, worthless and a fucking waste of space. And I constantly find myself comparing myself to others around my same age wondering where did I go wrong with my life and why I'm living paycheck to paycheck. But you right we need to stop seeking validation of oneself through artificial means and just enjoy life. Hey im not rolling in money but im not sleeping on the streets either.

This was exactly what I Needed to hear thank you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to queenelayliah For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,009 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouseekamy View Post

I'm 40 and am 2.5 years into mathematics degree. 3 more and I'll have an MS in Statistics.

Get a degree that pays well and offers job security. Use your minor and electives to learn what you're interested in. I'm minoring in psychology and economics which are both interesting and extremely useful. My electives are teaching me to speak Navajo, have given me a solid knowledge of how the human mind and body work and have given me a wonderful education in WWII history.

Not every body needs or is meant to have a 4 year degree. Plenty of people in my family went into trade school, the military or got a job out of high school and we all did just fine. If you feel that it's time for a degree, get your FAFSA in order and go. There are plenty of schools and degrees that you can get online. The local community college nay he a good place to start, depending on what you want to do.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirakonstantin For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kirakonstantin View Post
    I'm 40 and am 2.5 years into mathematics degree. 3 more and I'll have an MS in Statistics.

Get a degree that pays well and offers job security. Use your minor and electives to learn what you're interested in. I'm minoring in psychology and economics which are both interesting and extremely useful. My electives are teaching me to speak Navajo, have given me a solid knowledge of how the human mind and body work and have given me a wonderful education in WWII history.

Not every body needs or is meant to have a 4 year degree. Plenty of people in my family went into trade school, the military or got a job out of high school and we all did just fine. If you feel that it's time for a degree, get your FAFSA in order and go. There are plenty of schools and degrees that you can get online. The local community college nay he a good place to start, depending on what you want to do.
    That’s really good advice for most people. Good “luck” on your degree-not that you need “luck.”
    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 10-30-2018 at 05:45 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I would say go for a practical degree, maybe even a technical one.

I have an undergraduate degree with a focus in literature and philosophy. It was just my luck that I graduated college in the year the economy collapsed, so I had a very difficult time finding decent work to use my degree. Several years later, I finished a masters in social sciences, may have potentially stayed in the school to continue straight onto the phd but decided to stop. It's very difficult to find a job with my background. My grad school advisor urged me to go back and finish my phd, telling me that with my current educational background, I'm basically unemployable. But then again, even with a phd, the job market is less than ideal for the humanities and the social sciences. If you come from an incredibly humble background with absolutely no social safety net in terms of family as is my case, I'd say don't make the same mistake as me and go to trade school. Don't do something stupid like psych or creative writing or what I did. As enjoyable as it is, you'll end up working at Best Buy or Starbucks afterwards, without family connections or guidance and knowledge or a financial safety net if needed in order to settle into something beyond that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post: