Thread: Buying Cookware

Thanks
    Thanked 15,492 Times in 8,041 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Question Buying Cookware

So, I have a rice cooker (cooks other stuff too)
    Where y'all buy cookware, just wondering.
    I once had an electric wok, it perfectly cooked steak.
    Plus you can cook tableside w/it

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Default Re: Buying Cookware

Mostly Costco and Amazon. They typically have the best prices. Of course, all in all, it comes down to who actually has it. But Costco often has sales on good brands like Le Creuscet and such. I've sound some good deals at Bed, Bath, and Beyond on occasion, but for regular silverware and such, I just buy it at Target.

If I do see something which piques my interest in another store, I simply look online to compare prices and read reviews. Maybe it'll be an extra $5 or $10, but if I can get it right then and there, I can make such a concession.
    Also, if you have a restaurant supply near you, go through and check it out - maybe they won't have the brand you want, but they'll typically have something workable at a reasonable price.

Lately, I've been using the hell out of my Instant Pot. They make a three quart and a six quart model... I have the six, as I'm typically cooking for six people who are living under this roof. It saves me so much time, and even if everything isn't quite the same as if I'd done it the traditional way, it's still really good, and again, it saves me so much time. Well worth it... check Amazon, because they often have sales on them, and a number of very well thought out cookbooks to accompany it are out and about.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,471 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Walmart,Target or Amazon.
    xoxo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,588 Times in 3,794 Posts

I actually get tonsss of great cookwear at Goodwill or Salvation Army. I know my way around the kitchen so I know what to look for.

If you need to stock a kitchen buy RevereWear pots and pans. Anchor Hocking for ovenwear and good utensils can be found at Dollar Tree or any discount retailer (like Gordman's or Big Lots.)
    Beware the Pinkie Drama Queen...w000000 LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

I'm looking to get the Ninja air fryer cooking pot thing on black Friday from Target because it will be on sale, so far I have the coffee machine and food processor from Ninja and I love them.
    xoxo

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

^The Ninja food processor is quite good. I’m a little on the fence about the air fryer. People I know either swear by them or they hate them.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I ordered from Walmart a electric skillet, but put in for a return
    We'll see.
    Thanks for the responses!
    Last edited by whirlerz; 11-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    I actually get tonsss of great cookwear at Goodwill or Salvation Army. I know my way around the kitchen so I know what to look for.

If you need to stock a kitchen buy RevereWear pots and pans. Anchor Hocking for ovenwear and good utensils can be found at Dollar Tree or any discount retailer (like Gordman's or Big Lots.)
    I second this! Gurl I found a calphalon skillet!
    "Getting Money Will Always Be THE MOTIVE!"

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MintChocolate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Some people are lucky and find good stuff at goodwill, I never do.
    xoxo

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,588 Times in 3,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chanzep View Post
    You have to stop in frequently. A lot of people hit up GW for extra retirement income= they sell antiques or other valuables they get there.

I've re-sold a bunch of things I got at GW.

Local community thrift shops can be good too because old people tend to remember them when it comes time to donate an estate sale's worth of items. These shops also do free pickup of items so landlords like them too.
    Beware the Pinkie Drama Queen...w000000 LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Walmart and Target are always having sales. Amazon is good too. You might have luck on Facebook local yard sale groups / Marketplace or Craigslist
    AlterEgo Lingerie influencer
    use code PIPER for 25% off your purchase!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Piper328 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I am gonna check out Target, probably getting a microwave

Thanks
    Thanked 6,344 Times in 2,141 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

I like the Calphalon cookware, but I forget where we got most of it and it wasn't cheap. They are easy to clean and seem to last forever. I do know that Walmart sells a Calphalon Select line that is pretty good stuff too when we need to fill something in.

We got our cast iron pans from a hunting/fishing outdoor store. It was far cheaper and better quality than what we were finding in regular retailers, but you can really only use cast iron over and open flame or on gas stoves. I like to use mine outside on the side burner of my gas grill to keep the mess out of the kitchen.

Walmart or Amazon are great places for the Instant Pot. Walmart is also a good place for cheap but serviceable electric crock pots, microwaves, coffee makers, toasters, other basic small appliances and basic cooking utensils.

Good luck.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Thanks..^

I used to have a cast iron smaller square skillet, it had the raised lines to give grill marks.

Damn if that thing wasn't heavy as hell though, & it was smaller too.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Yeah, lost my first cast iron skillet because someone didn’t realize you don’t soak those. Wanted to clobber them over the head with it after that.

Okay, maybe not anything that brash.

No, I’m pretty sure I did.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    ^The Ninja food processor is quite good. I’m a little on the fence about the air fryer. People I know either swear by them or they hate them.
    to me, the air fryer was a total joke. i returned it. its basically a mini oven and it was very inconvenient to use. total fail.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to crystalize For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

Oh that's good to know.
    xoxo

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I had a convection oven/microwave thread, lol.
    years ago I knew a lady that had one, she really liked using it

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 453 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by chanzep View Post
    If your local goodwill has social media: follow it so you know when the big sales are on and talk to the staff when you are there to find out how often they get new items/what day. It helps if you can go in the mornings but that's not necessary.

Look at everything! (but not lol) You might really want to find clothes this week however there might be no cute stuff but you might find something else you really want. I keep a running list in my phone of things I would love to find and check each section they might be sold in so I don't forget and over time it pays off. You only have so much energy for shopping and thrifting is a lot more difficult that walmart or any other organized store. As for clothes: go through every size on the rack or every bin, cute things get misplaced all the time. I will rarely go through the entire store but I will go through an entire section: thats how I find my best stuff.

For kitchen specifically/cookware/dishware: you can google it while you're in the store! Look for the stamp and google the brand if you don't know it. I've found marlboro trays, crystal, paderno, wedgewood etc; lots of good finds I didn't know about until I googled what they were.

Be willing to spend TIME in the store really looking/digging for (staring) at things. Dress for shopping and go when you are in the mood to stare. And go OFTEN twice a week is good but if you go 1 week and it seems empty you can take a couple weeks off/go to a different 1 so when you finally come back there will be more stock in. Weeks of holidays are usually 50% off or some type of sale. There's always back to school and spring break sales xmas black friday etc.

As a general rule: the nicer the neighborhood the better the goodwill store is. In my experience the worst times to go are the 1st and 31st/30th of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    to me, the air fryer was a total joke. i returned it. its basically a mini oven and it was very inconvenient to use. total fail.
    I was going to get 1 do you think a toaster oven is better bet?