Thread: Soul-searching about a rhinoplasty; would love to hear from ppl who've had one

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Blog Entries

Default Soul-searching about a rhinoplasty; would love to hear from ppl who've had one

I've been thinking about a rhinoplasty for probably six years now. I've had two consultations. I don't hate my nose, but at the same time, it could be better. It has a little bit of a dorsal hump and a pointy, low tip. I think I could be prettier without the hump and point.

My whole thing with plastic surgery is this: I believe pretty privilege is a real thing in all fields, and especially in the strip club arena. I want to play the cards I'm dealt to their full advantage. Plus, I'm into body modification in general.

My concern is that I'll hate my nose job, and then I'll be stuck with it forever. I got breast implants, didn't like them, took them out. I'm worried that my nose job might make me look older, or faker, or generally not as good. And unlike implants, it's not reversible.

However, I also had chin and neck lipo from the surgeon who would probably be doing my nose job. I am absolutely in LOVE with those results. It's possible I'd love my face even more without the humpy, pointy nose.

Some people on RealSelf say that if you don't hate your nose, a rhinoplasty isn't worth it. If you've had a rhinoplasty, do you agree, and would you do it again? How did you feel about your nose before, and how do you feel about it now?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,782 Times in 5,116 Posts

Default Re: Soul-searching about a rhinoplasty; would love to hear from ppl who've had one

I've never regretted mine. I asked for a natural result - just wanted a bit of refinement. Small bump gone, tip slightly refined...

A couple of very small changes made a big difference. I'd like to refine my look further by perfecting my teeth (i have naturally straight teeth, but i don't like my smile in photos). I saw my mom a week or so after i got it done, and she didn't notice anything different (to this day, she doesn't know). But it makes a very clear difference, in a "me, but better" way. I notice it, certainly, and other people notice it in that it took my look to a more refined level without giving me that super stylized / sleek / perfect look (which is a great look, but i didn't want that).

I'm like you... pretty privilege is a thing, and i want to maximize it. I have a natural type of beauty, and I'm not interested in taking my look to model / 'stripper' level...i think that can work against women in the vanilla world. I enjoy being beautiful enough that it opens doors for me, but not so sexy that it creates problems for me. I can play my look up if i need to, but I'm low key. Does that make any sense?

I digress... obviously rhinos come with risk. There are things you can do to increase the odds of a great result, but at the end of the day, you need to either pull the trigger on it and accept the risk, or decide it's too much of a risk and stop obsessing. I don't mean that in a judgmental way! But if you're going to do it, do it asap so you can start enjoying the results!

To minimize risk, obviously do your research on surgeons, meet with a surgeon who can do digital photo alteration to make sure you're both on the same page, and schedule your surgery for a Monday to ensure your surgeon is well rested. Find a surgeon who's board certified or double board certified in facial surgery. I wouldn't want a jack of all trades touching my face. I know many women have gotten great rhinos from boob job surgeons... but if you're trying to minimize the odds of something going wrong, and you want a custom rhino instead of a standard, Christy Turlington result... go with someone who's obsessed with noses.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 636 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

Default Re: Soul-searching about a rhinoplasty; would love to hear from ppl who've had one

I did it but because I asked for subtle it basically barely made a difference..a very expensive subtle modification. If you want small definitely ask for small and go to someone who can create a small nose
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetJulia View Post
    everyone I've fucked who was awful in bed should be forced to have sex with each other so they can all, collectively, figure out why I never called them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Sunset View Post
    Nothing makes me feel like less of an adult than walking into several other people's apartments and realizing we all own the exact same lamp from K-mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam38g View Post
    The fantasy sold to women through out history that a man will come along & rescue us is a lie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaurenAus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wanted to add that, IMO, refinements become more important as we age. If you're planning on aging 'naturally' (like, not super botoxed or lifted), then having nice hair, good teeth, stuff like that... becomes more important. Youth can get by on youth. But timeless beauty, wrinkles included? Something small like a refined nose won't stop serving you.

Just my opinion. I hit 30 recently, so this kind of stuff is on my mind. (Not like 30 is old or anything, but you know)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Well if you want to hear some reviews, you can visit realpatientratings.com/rhinoplasty. There are a lot of reviews according to different cities and maybe you will find a better solution.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Blog Entries

Thanks Charlie61! You and I are definitely on the same page regarding plastic surgery and desired results. You bring up some really good points about aging! I am in my late 30s and this stuff is weighing on my mind, too, especially since I want to stay competitive in a looks-based industry. I love how you put it: "Youth can get by on youth. But timeless beauty, wrinkles included? Something small like a refined nose won't stop serving you."

In fact, I even did a virtual consultation with Dr. Anil Shah after reading your posts. His prices and results are amazing! The real question is do I want to travel to Chicago? My other contender is this surgeon, who did my SmartLipo:https://hedgewoodplasticsurgery.com/...ian-d-jacob-md He charges $3K more than Dr. Shah, but I wouldn't have to fly in and stay in a hotel for a week.

LaurenAus--that's what I'm hoping for, too--a subtle improvement. Do you feel like yours is TOO subtle?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winged Dinghy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

i had my nose done about 10 years ago it was a small adjustment to remove a slight bump and i love the results, best thing i ever did.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to miss cleo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I had my nose done 2+ years ago. Best choice I ever made. Only took 2 weeks off and I have had great results. No regrets. Best $6800 I ever spent...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SapphireXO For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I had my first rhinoplasty about 15 years ago, done by the “top doctor” specializing in rhinoplasty. I had a nice nose to start with, just wanted a slight refinement to make it perfect. The doctor ruined my nose. It turned out long and crooked with deviated septum and some breathing issues. After years of crying, I went back to him for a revision. He made it worse! Now I have a wide nose with cartilage protruding through the skin. Dreaming of finding the doctor who can fix my nose. But 3rd surgery is more risky and will surely be more expensive. So my advice, be careful with any manipulation to the tip of your nose. It is hard to make it look symmetrical on both sides.
    Last edited by Adelina; 11-05-2018 at 12:39 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelina For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^thank you for speaking up. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I purchased a book “Top Plastic Surgeons” and found the name of the Number 1 Rhinoplasty doctor in my area. Pictures on his web site were nice. I am sure he made some clients happy but he ruined MY face. So there is alway a risk with any surgery. The more conservative your surgery is, the less risk you will potentially be dealing with, imo.
    Last edited by Adelina; 11-05-2018 at 12:40 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelina For This Useful Post: