Thread: Happy Veteran's Day!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,651 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Happy Veteran's Day!

Thank you to all of the ladies and men out there who served. I know there are quite a few on here. hvd.jpg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Default Re: Happy Veteran's Day!

I just wish all of my veteran friends - the ones who were crucial to me being able to pull through it all when I came back - hadn't all moved away, because I'd really like to spend the day with them. Just sitting around a fire in someone's backyard, drinking orange juice while they drank beer, telling corny jokes that only a bunch of misfits like us would find funny, grilling burgers, arguing over which state does barbecue best, throwing horseshoes (even if I wasn't very good at it), the 6'3" "Amazon woman" and Iraq vet reminding me of what a great armrest I make.... It's not that I didn't appreciate what I had back then, but I didn't really fully understand just how much it meant to me. It was a group that our time i the military had brought together, but it was one where we proverbially let our hair down. It was much more informal, yet much more personal.

Right now, I'm at an American Legion luncheon which I was invited to. So I'm wearing my little miniature medals, because I'm expected to, and I'm expected to be 'soldierly', and the people here know not to ask the story behind my Purple Heart, but these same people who tell me I did something great... how would they really react if they'd known I was stripping last night? I really don't feel like I fit in here.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,868 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    I just wish all of my veteran friends - the ones who were crucial to me being able to pull through it all when I came back - hadn't all moved away, because I'd really like to spend the day with them. Just sitting around a fire in someone's backyard, drinking orange juice while they drank beer, telling corny jokes that only a bunch of misfits like us would find funny, grilling burgers, arguing over which state does barbecue best, throwing horseshoes (even if I wasn't very good at it), the 6'3" "Amazon woman" and Iraq vet reminding me of what a great armrest I make.... It's not that I didn't appreciate what I had back then, but I didn't really fully understand just how much it meant to me. It was a group that our time i the military had brought together, but it was one where we proverbially let our hair down. It was much more informal, yet much more personal.

Right now, I'm at an American Legion luncheon which I was invited to. So I'm wearing my little miniature medals, because I'm expected to, and I'm expected to be 'soldierly', and the people here know not to ask the story behind my Purple Heart, but these same people who tell me I did something great... how would they really react if they'd known I was stripping last night? I really don't feel like I fit in here.
    Awwwww.

If it makes you feel better my ex refused to go drink at the VFW bar. He would yell something about it being boring. He honestly didn't like dwelling on his time overseas.

Not every veteran wants to get put on the spot.
    He who controls the spice controls the universe, chingada madre

LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

I understand that. I don't want my status as a vet to be the defining thing about me. I feel like there's much more to me than a single unexpectedly shortened tour I did in a war which has been going on for 17 years and change now. It was something I did, but not what I want others to consider my defining moment. The aforementioned group - my lunatic ex-roommate, the absurdly tall woman whose accent I could never place and who always refused to tell me where she was from, and all the others who'd been in at various points ranging from Grenada to the current wars going on... we had that thing bonding us together, but the get togethers were about kicking back, having fun, fuck formality.

This American Legion thing... to me, it just seems like a collection of people who can't accept that the military is in their past. Which I don't say that to be insulting, I just mean they never really seemed to accept life without the rigidity of the military, and maybe it's what works for them, but it's really not the way I feel is best for me.

At least the food was good, and there were plenty of vets around my age, so I didn't have to spend the whole time hearing about, "The only women in Vietnam were nurses, and no offense, but I think it was better that way" and other such shit.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,868 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    At least the food was good, and there were plenty of vets around my age, so I didn't have to spend the whole time hearing about, "The only women in Vietnam were nurses, and no offense, but I think it was better that way" and other such shit.

Damn...……
    He who controls the spice controls the universe, chingada madre

LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Oh, yeah. That happened.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 821 Posts
    My Mood
    Lonely
    Blog Entries

As society I think the average person stereotypes people it’s just the way our brain files away information. Most people don’t look at human beings as a whole with good and bad. Most people don’t have the capacity to really “see” us. Yeah, I try to be authentic, but I get exhausted being misunderstood and labeled. I’m trying to say I understand wanting to be private about your service.

Thank you for your service.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post: