Thread: PayPal Scams?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,867 Posts

Dizzy PayPal Scams?

I'm trying to sell furniture online & I have a potential buyer who insists on using PayPal.

I avoid PayPal due to their anti-adult worker policies.

This whole transaction is sounding scammish to me.

Has anyone has someone reverse/freeze a PayPal transaction to avoiding paying out on time?
    He who controls the spice controls the universe, chingada madre

LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,961 Times in 6,020 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Default Re: PayPal Scams?

They can but only if the buyer or seller is going against their TOS.

What they will do is freeze/hold any money in the account (the amount of the transaction in question) then conduct their own investigation. If, for example, the seller has been found to have conduct the rules according to PP terms then the money will be released.

Paypay freezing transactions is rare but it does happen because, well there are some crazy people out there. Providing a quality service as a seller will ensure PayPal sides in your favor and you get your money.

Trying to sell furniture online yet using PayPal is reasonable, in my opinion, because they are a 3rd party to help hold the buyer and seller accountable.

If you are a seller and worried about shady buyers then only sell to buyer who are verified on PayPal and do not ship items until their payment is complete. Yes ship the item so there is proof you sent the item to them.

Also, don’t ever sell anything you can’t afford to lose - in the worst case scenario......

You can also use other platforms like Stripe, etc but these are not as recognizable and some buyers may be reluctant to use them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,098 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Here's my PP. exp:

I actually use them to buy stuff online, since my CC. got hacked (I got the $ back thru bank, but it was a PIA).
    I prefer using them, since I'm mostly on wifi & like the extra security layer.
    I bought a wifi hot spot, & it was a huge PIA, Pp. helped me get my $.bk.
    I bought a shimmer lotion, wanted to get my & back, but PP. held out for them, as Ms. p said it's the TOS, keep w/that & you sb. good

I sold a couple furniture items on eBay & PP., (local pickup only), as long as there's an accurate description, (note/photo any flaws clearly/accurately)

I did have a few PIA ppl that wanted their $ back (it can happen) luckily for me, smaller items.
    You can set it to sell to higher rated buyers, there's no hardcore guarantee.

Good luck, Idt it's a scam, they probably just want to be as sure as they can

Thanks
    Thanked 8,647 Times in 2,516 Posts

I am leery of Paypal because I used to sell perfume and cologne on eBay and I had quite a few people who would reverse payment after I'd already shipped. I'd check the tracking and see that it made it to the destination but they'd claim they never received the item. Wait for the person to pay first and then ship. If they reverse payment after you've shipped the item, sometimes you are able to get the item rerouted back to you instead of it going to the person but it can be a hassle.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WendiStarr View Post
    I am leery of Paypal because I used to sell perfume and cologne on eBay and I had quite a few people who would reverse payment after I'd already shipped. I'd check the tracking and see that it made it to the destination but they'd claim they never received the item. Wait for the person to pay first and then ship. If they reverse payment after you've shipped the item, sometimes you are able to get the item rerouted back to you instead of it going to the person but it can be a hassle.
    See this is what I fear.

I tried selling furniture on Craigslist and the responses were so transparently scammish I quit using CL period. Like, ugh.
    He who controls the spice controls the universe, chingada madre

LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    See this is what I fear.

I tried selling furniture on Craigslist and the responses were so transparently scammish I quit using CL period. Like, ugh.

Nah, me personally, I avoid CL like the plague it is..
    I've sold a couple things (awhile back) you get these F'n weirdos..

Once, I was trying to sell a gift card, this lady called & wanted to 'meet' to get it? Uh, no, especially after you call from different phone #'s, B.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by WendiStarr View Post
    AND they allow that? Something wrong there.

I know PP went on the seller's side, (it was a company online transaction, not ebay)

For perfumes, I'm kinda leery bc I like to buy samples, perfume's notoriously unstable.

But, to reverse like that, after receiving, that's totallly f'd.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,647 Times in 2,516 Posts

^ Yes, it was messed up. In my experience it has seemed to be that Paypal would side more with the customers. They make it too easy for people to reverse payment and if it's a new user/buyer, I had experienced them placing 45 day holds on payment. I don't know. I just don't have a positive view of Paypal both in the vanilla world and otherwise, so I suppose I am biased. Local pickup but in a safe public location if possible. I'm sure that would be harder if it's heavy furniture.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post: