Thread: Pissed off my hair stylist

Thanks

Default Pissed off my hair stylist

About 6 months ago I was living in LA and went to a highly respected and very expensive microbead extension salon. I dropped about $1700 not including another few hundred dollar tip. For those who are unaware of how the microbeads work, basically you have to go back in every 4-6 weeks for a "bead raise" as your hair grows out. If you don't do this they'll be way too far down from your scalp and will start detaching from your head (and would look ridiculous). The lady who did my hair warned me that she puts in the beads in an unusual and specific way, and that if I traveled elsewhere I wouldn't be able to find anyone who could give me raises because of that fact. Basically, she said it *has* to be her who does the upkeep.

Well, dancing was terrible for me in LA so I left and ended up across the country. Somehow despite what my stylist said, I found a stylist who took a look at the beads and, while she said she had never seen/done it that way herself, she quickly and easily figured it out and I've been seeing her for raises for the past few months. It was truly a fluke of luck that she knew what to do; I had to see a few different stylists before I found one experienced enough to adapt to the situation.

Now I'm about to return to LA for an extended period of time and I texted my original hair lady that I would need a raise while I'm in town. She replied that I would need a removal and reapplication (which is $600, opposed to a raise which is $75) since it had been such a long time since my last raise. As soon as I explained to her that I found someone else to give me raises while I was traveling and wouldn't need a re-app, she left me on read and quit replying. Prior to that she had been replying quickly and it's been a couple days now so I'm pretty sure she's pissed and is ignoring me.

I'm not really sure what to do here - I'm considering sending her a follow-up text of some sort, asking if I need to find someone else. I didn't really have much of a choice honestly - I can't just fly into LA every month to maintain my extensions lol.

Is it standard for hair stylists to get pissed about this sort of thing, even if it was nothing personal and you were traveling? If I had let my extensions go unmaintained for all that time they would look AWFUL right now and would likely have detached from my head.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to somechick99 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Pissed off my hair stylist

i would say find another girl to do your extensions. it's too much of a hassle to deal with her 'special' way and her getting mad. i do extensions, and let me tell you she is trying to hustle you with trying to make it seem like she has some 'magic' way to do them. she has to understand that people go out of town.

i do understand where she comes from though and why she wants to charge more. the 75 is for loyal clients who come all the time for the upkeep and then once in a while have to pay the 600. so to her it probably looks like you are trying to get out of paying the 600, when in reality it was a case of necessity for you to find someone else cause you were not in town.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to crystalize For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,098 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I agree^
    She sounds controlling, yeah I get that there's certain protocol, but fuck!

I used to be friends w/this one lady out there, she got her hair done at a nice salon, she wanted to change to a cheaper place, so she asked for her 'formula' (the mix of dye colors they used).
    The stylist didn't want to give it to her, I guess she threatened or something, I don't know if that's really the thing to do, or if that's done or what.

What you're doing is different, like crystal says, you moved & you needed upkeep, you can't just fly back to her like you said!
    Now, you want to go back to her, which I get, but come on, she doesn't need to act like that.

I mean, myself, I was going to this one guy for a long time. I was getting root touchups, & highlights.
    The thing is, tho, I have a highly sensitive scalp (it wasn't that way before) 2 years ago this other idiot messed up my color, over did it, & now it's like that.

So, by me having the root touchups, it bothers/sensitizes my scalp, even tho I use (on dermo's advice) a non dye/fragrance shampoo. I can used any styling/conditioning product, but anything that touches my scalp I got to be careful of.

I went to another salon, & decided to just get the highlights, since that doesn't bother me. The girl did them very light, which looked good, & my roots are grown out (greys) but it kinda blends so I think it's good & I don't have to keep running in every 4 - 5 weeks for root touchups that irritate me, & cost me $.
    Not to mention, my present stylist works Sun/Mon, which the other guy did not, & I like going in early in the week too.

So, my point being is stuff happens, & I would look for another stylist.
    Allure magazine has salon recomendations in every state online, if that helps.

Good luck!
    Last edited by whirlerz; 11-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks

I am a hair dresser by day, and it sounds like that chick is just being a bitch, tbh. Why be mad? You needed your hair done and weren’t any where near where she was. I don’t see the problem.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to allthatglitters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 865 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed

If she affords to lose clients, just because of her attitude, is her problem. Seriously, she probably thinks you'll go and beg her to do your hair, is not like you freaking pay her. And what a payment...
    I think there are plenty of other good hairdressers there, otherwise nobody would have a job or clients, but her, lol.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cutie101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,117 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

^ I def agree that she is being controlling & trying to hustle you for more $$$. Fuck that, either find someone else or learn to do extensions yourself like I did. It may not be the little microbeads you want but srsly the glue ins (using the liquid gold bond glue) or tape in extensions are just as good as what you have & not nearly as expensive except for maybe the hair you use.

A few years ago when I was white blonde I went to an Aveda salon in LA where all the hairdressers were like some high school clique with one another *eyeroll* I mentioned to one of the gals that rinsed my hair one day that I had bleached my hair at home to get rid if the yellow brassy rings my colorist left from doing my roots & what did she do? Went & told her what I had just said, and she (my colorist) came over & actually scolded me in the chair before drying my dam hair as if I were a child. I paid & left without leaving any dam tip. My hair was VERY healthy too despite the bleach & was fine after I removed the gold rings.

Anyways LOL long story short, that was the last time anyone has touched my hair I've been doing my own coloring , extensions, whatever to my own dam head in the privacy of myself since. Don't let stylists bully you!
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah I plan to leave a bad review on yelp since she PRIDES herself on nice reviews. Not to be a bitch, but to warn other girls who spend $2k+ that the stylist doesn’t give a shit about them. Thanks to everyone who answered! Such snobby LA bs.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to somechick99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,400 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Actually, I knew several hairstylists who behaved like the Op's hairdresser. I believe it's because they get super greedy and territorial after large sums of money is spend on their work. Then they lost all of their clientele due to this behavior and had to rebuild their businesses.This stylist thought that she owns you as client and got all bitchy after seeing someone's else work on you. I would drop her, leave an bad review, and block her from my phone. There's plenty of nice stylists who are happy to take you on as client.
    Wolves may lurk in every guise / Now as then, 'tis simple truth / Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DonaDiabla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 865 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    Don't let stylists bully you!
    Yes, when I was going to the ex salon, where I was having my hair cut (before microblading my eyebrows), the hairdressers in there and the cosmeticians were like "pfff who did your eyebroz LIKE THAT?"... they have a way of asking you, that the question itself makes you feel like shit.
    Hwoever, now I have a nice hairstylist, the guy who did my microblading is also a super nice man (he has a TON of clients). But I remember the first time I went for microblading, he was actually finishing a teaching class (he has master certificate in microblading and can teach students) with 2 cosmeticians. And while I was removing my brow gel, to start the procedure, the two girls remained to watch him. And when they saw my brows, one of them was like "Who chopped your brows LIKE THIS?".
    That was the moment I got nuts and told her... "if I liked my eyebrows LIKE THIS or thought they are OKAY, do you think I would have paid for microblading?". Captain obivous....
    I called her stupid, basically ))). She didn't say a word after that. Good. ))

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cutie101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A really talented person doesn’t need to degrade other people. Those that stand around talking trash about others in their profession are probably shit at their jobs.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allthatglitters For This Useful Post: