Thanks
    Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,098 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Angry 3 young kids die @ Bus Stop..

https://fox8.com/2018/10/30/3-indian...ng-school-bus/
    Very Sad..

I've been reading about this..

I know some people wanted the bus stop moved, so the kids wouldn't have to cross the street, but it wasn't done until after this tragedy.

From what I've been reading, the woman who did this, was driving a pickup truck, had just dropped her husband off at work. She had her kids in the back seat.
    She wasn't high, drunk, or using a phone, there was no phone activity on her part when this happened. She stopped & cooperated w/the cops but then went on to work, she works in a church.
    It was dark, & foggy (around 7am) she wasn't familiar w/the area. It was also said that she was coming back from a hospital emergency.

Anyway, she came around a curve, supposedly below the speeed limit (45 in a 55), she said she saw the flashing lights but didn't know/think anything until she was upon the kids?
    A pair of twin boys, & a 9 yr old girl (all from the same family) killed, & another 11 yr old boy w/broken bones in critical condition.

The bus driver waived the kids across the street, maybe he should've used more discretion? (He was cleared). The bus had the arm thing w/the stop sign out too. I guess some people go around it too, you're supposed to stop at either direction, unless there's a concrete median in the middle.

Also, on the site link, there was a similar incident in Tampa, FL, Mississippi, & another FL city. 5 times in 3 days!

I mean, wow.

I remember years ago, I was walking to my car from Walmart, (carrying a large bag of pet food) I was crossing in front of a Jeep, & assumed it would stop/slow down, but it kept coming at me, not super fast, but faster I thought it should be moving, especially in a parking lot.
    The lady driving wasn't on a phone either, & I started yelling, she just looked blank & drove on..

Also, I was a witness/gave a depo for this lady, she was crossing the street..
    She was older, but very healthy/vigorous looking..
    I was sitting at a light, the girl opposite me, seemed very distracted. I think she was putting makeup on at the stop light. She was in a turn lane, which crossed my path & I decided to hesitate, which I'm glad I did as she blasted on thru, & hit the lady, didn't kill her TG.
    Last edited by whirlerz; 11-16-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Default Re: 3 young kids die @ Bus Stop..

This upsets and angers me, but it doesn't surprise me. Sometimes for my vanilla job, I have to transport horses, in anything which can range from a pickup or SUV with a two horse trailer up to a tractor-trailer, and it never ceases to amaze me the stupid shit people will do to save a couple seconds of time, regardless of how much they endanger themselves or others. Until we collectively as a nation can remove our heads from our asses particularly regarding rules of the road and road etiquette, this will not be the last time something like this happens.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,962 Times in 6,020 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I’ve seen people blow through school bus stops coming the opposite direction of the bus. They don’t realize that sometimes kids have to cross the street.

Ideally I think either bus stops should be in the same side of the street so kids don’t have to cross over or only older kids who are better at looking for traffic before crossing should be allowed to cross over. Little kids just dart across and don’t look.

But ultimately the drivers of course should be held accountable because pedestrians have the right of way especially at a bus stop

5. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,098 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    This upsets and angers me, but it doesn't surprise me. Sometimes for my vanilla job, I have to transport horses, in anything which can range from a pickup or SUV with a two horse trailer up to a tractor-trailer, and it never ceases to amaze me the stupid shit people will do to save a couple seconds of time, regardless of how much they endanger themselves or others.
    Until we collectively as a nation can remove our heads from our asses particularly regarding rules of the road and road etiquette, this will not be the last time something like this happens.
    This last sentence right here^

They have all these red light/speed cams right now, they need to set up something like that for this!
    Fines for blowing a school bus stop are like $250.

In my area, there's a stretch of road, the self entitled yuppies (or w/e they're called these days) like to blast down that road like it's the Autobahn..
    I've seen various trucks/workers around there, I believe they're embedding speed monitoring devices

Thanks
    Thanked 17,225 Times in 5,485 Posts

This really upsets me, and is even more reason that I'm glad that - for a while now - my son has been attending "non-public" schools (a MAX of only like 8 or 9 students per classroom) where the bus drivers actually pick up students right outside their home. No crossing the street. He just walks outta the apartment, and the bus is right there at our apartment entrance.
    "You'll get no sympathy from me! You want sympathy...look in the dictionary between SHIT and SYPHILIS! That's where you'll find my sympathy!" - Major Payne

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,225 Times in 5,485 Posts

This really upsets me, and is even more reason that I'm glad that - for a while now - my son has been attending "non-public" schools (a MAX of only like 8 or 9 students per classroom) where the bus drivers actually pick up students right outside their home. No crossing the street. He just walks outta the apartment, and the bus is right there at our apartment entrance.
    "You'll get no sympathy from me! You want sympathy...look in the dictionary between SHIT and SYPHILIS! That's where you'll find my sympathy!" - Major Payne

Thanks

I have been driving since about 1996 and have driven many more miles then most as I have lived in different states, driven from coast to coast and have driven tow trucks for a short stint.

Back in the 90s and up into the early 2000s driving was a pleasure. But now, since the older generation has died off and these new young millennials have taken over the roads driving is now absolutely horrendous.

The bottom line is very few people have any driver etiquette anymore, people drive way too fast, people are distracted by touch screens, cellphones, I believe more drug addicts are behind the wheels these days, and very few people have any patience even just to let someone cross the street.

Over in my neck of the woods over the weekend about 2 weeks ago there were 4 separate hit and run incidents and I believe 2 were fatal. And about 2 months ago I witnessed a hit and run right in front of me. I was parked by a nightclub around 11pm and people were crossing the intersection to get to the club and a black Honda accord with window tint hit one of the pedestrians and turned the corner in a hurry and speed off.

The future of this country is grim. Nobody cares about anything anymore. Very few people seem to have any morals or basic principles and decency.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    This last sentence right here^

They have all these red light/speed cams right now, they need to set up something like that for this!
    Fines for blowing a school bus stop are like $250.

In my area, there's a stretch of road, the self entitled yuppies (or w/e they're called these days) like to blast down that road like it's the Autobahn..
    I've seen various trucks/workers around there, I believe they're embedding speed monitoring devices
    License should be suspended for a year for passing a school bus.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyguy09 View Post
    and have driven tow trucks for a short stint.
    Yeah, not much of a life. Made good money doing it, but holy shit, it’s a 24/7 job. I ran A and B (light/medium) wreckers and was WreckMaster 2/3 certified with lockout endorsement.

Back in the 90s and up into the early 2000s driving was a pleasure. But now, since the older generation has died off and these new young millennials have taken over the roads driving is now absolutely horrendous.

The bottom line is very few people have any driver etiquette anymore, people drive way too fast, people are distracted by touch screens, cellphones, I believe more drug addicts are behind the wheels these days, and very few people have any patience even just to let someone cross the street.
    I have to disagree here. I’ve seen rude drivers of all ages, especially among truck drivers, and I’ve plenty of the older ones bragging about the ‘Montfort’ days and driving 20+ hours straight with the help of ‘Benny’ back in the 70s and 80s, so I’m not doubting a generational difference exists, but I don’t think it’s what you think it is.

I was raised Mennonite, which my congress wasn’t a ‘horse and buggy’ one, but we did do without many of the conveniences that ‘English’ society freely took part in. One thing I’ve noticed is that the ‘English’ were very much a society of convenience - they were more apt to expect instant gratification, and, as the means to acquire it increased, so did the demand, as well as the demand they placed on others. And you’ve probably seen it running a wrecker - having to clear an accident scene with a police officer up your ass trying to get you to take shortcuts because the motorists are waiting like it’s the end of the world that they have to wait. I’ve had cops question me all the way through it. “Can’t you just hook a chain and pull it over?” as I was setting my stay pipe to upright a car, etc. And maybe my being female is part of the reason they did that, but I wasn’t the only one subjected to it.

Had there been cell phones with 4G LTE and Internet access in the 1980s, you’d see people doing the same shit they do now, because it would likewise increase the burden placed on them.

The future of this country is grim. Nobody cares about anything anymore. Very few people seem to have any morals or basic principles and decency.
    I don’t really think morality plays into the grimness of it. When people carry on about how great past decades were, they have to gloss over a lot, ESPECIALLY when they try to claim moral decline as a ‘sign of the times’.
    I twist the truth, I rule the world. My crown is called deceit. I am the emperor of lies.You grovel at my feet . I rob you and I slaughter you. Your downfall is my gain. And still you play the sycophant. And revel in your pain. And all my promises are lies. All my love is hate. I am the politician. And I decide your fate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post: