Thread: One Meal A Day? 23:1?

Thanks

Default One Meal A Day? 23:1?

Hey everyone!

I've recently been able to lose a lot of weight eating 1 meal a day around 7pm. It's been a month with a few off days. Has anyone done this?

I was eating plant-based vegan, but it wasn't keeping me full so I'm going to try broccoli and chicken every night.

Le me know if any of you have tried this! I would love to hear feed back

Thanks

Default Re: One Meal A Day? 23:1?

I used to do unintentional OMAD back in the day. It worked for weight loss, but left me fatigued and with a talking stomach. I've gained some weight, and plan on starting back up. This time I plan on making my OMAD healthier and taking vitamins. I believe that was the main cause of my fatigue.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 742 Posts

My natural eating habits (currently sabotaged by my SO who is an amazing chef and loves cooking for me ) line up with OMAD.

Everyone is different, but for me, it's excellent for weight loss/maintenance, keeping blood sugar stable, energy levels consistent, and even improves my sleep patterns. Most of the time I've eaten OMAD, I haven't been entirely strict or deliberate about it; it's just easy/natural. Another benefit to my not so strict/maintenance OMAD diet was that my weight only fluctuated by around .2lbs per day when I ate like that for 6 years straight (I weigh myself at the same time each morning).

When I'm focused on weight loss (and stay disciplined enough to turn down my SO's cooking throughout the day), a very strict OMAD is truly the best of all worlds for me: I can eat as little as 800 calories some days while feeling like I've had a feast. Most days on a strict OMAD "diet" I'll eat 1100-1300 calories, but it's a struggle to even get there most of the time. I can literally binge on Chipotle with extra fatty toppings every day and lose weight FAST, as long as it's just once a day. It's a beautiful thing! I really need to start doing this again.

Like you though, it only works for me when I consume some animal protein. I was vegan for a while and only felt good eating several times a day. Was vegetarian for years, but would often binge unless I ate tons of avocado, nuts, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lol1337a For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

This works for me, but I arrived at it not as a Big Plan, but simply by following my not fighting my natural inclinations: I don't wake up hungry and only get hungry early on when I start eating. So dropping breakfast has been pretty close to OMAD for me. Lunch often goes by the wayside, as well - though I'll commonly have something like an apple or some nuts at some point before dinner. And then that's it until dinner!

If I have a truly LARGE meal (the kind where others will look at me and wonder how I can eat so much at my size - I have a freakishly huge stomach capacity, it seems), which I do once in a while, then I'm likely not to be hungry at ALL the next day. I could fairly easily do One Meal Every TWO Days. I probably would, if it weren't for the want/need to have meals with others, and so on.

If I need to have lunch for social reasons, then I'll usually pass up on dinner, or that will turn into the apple+nuts meal, instead.

In my case, it works largely effortlessly, because I "designed" it around my "low-hanging fruit", i.e., knowing that I don't wake up hungry, and taking advantage of that. My whole system basically gets down to "Whatever else, DON'T EAT IF YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY!".

Being being able to do this, I had to "unhook" from sugar and the HABIT of eating all the time. That took me two-three days, and it was VERY unpleasant, but I haven't gotten hooked again. But 2-3 days of unpleasant not to have a lifetime of obesity is clearly worth it. Masturbation was my distractor of choice for that period, but... whatever works for others :-).

(Now that I've developed an unrelated problem that means I need to cut down on salt, I actually have trouble keeping weight UP, because I have to limit large intakes of salty stuff like potato chips in social events, and those bouts of "overeating" seemed to be a significant part of my overall calories. I end up having to make a point of compensating by eating a bunch of unsalted peanuts. If it gets any worse, I may even have to sometimes eat unwanted sweet crap as "breakfast" once in a while to trigger being hungry the rest of the day on purpose.)

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 742 Posts

That's another good point, I also have huge spikes in appetite whenever I eat before I'm hungry. I think for me it has to do with blood sugar fluctuations to an extent, but when I eat for pleasure rather than hunger I become more focused on how delicious food is. Sometimes a lingering taste in my mouth makes me want to eat even if I'm stuffed.

Small meals work for many people but I have no idea how they exercise portion control 5x a day; much easier for me to just eat once and not concern myself with that at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lol1337a View Post
    My natural eating habits (currently sabotaged by my SO who is an amazing chef and loves cooking for me ) line up with OMAD.

Everyone is different, but for me, it's excellent for weight loss/maintenance, keeping blood sugar stable, energy levels consistent, and even improves my sleep patterns. Most of the time I've eaten OMAD, I haven't been entirely strict or deliberate about it; it's just easy/natural. Another benefit to my not so strict/maintenance OMAD diet was that my weight only fluctuated by around .2lbs per day when I ate like that for 6 years straight (I weigh myself at the same time each morning).

When I'm focused on weight loss (and stay disciplined enough to turn down my SO's cooking throughout the day), a very strict OMAD is truly the best of all worlds for me: I can eat as little as 800 calories some days while feeling like I've had a feast. Most days on a strict OMAD "diet" I'll eat 1100-1300 calories, but it's a struggle to even get there most of the time. I can literally binge on Chipotle with extra fatty toppings every day and lose weight FAST, as long as it's just once a day. It's a beautiful thing! I really need to start doing this again.

Like you though, it only works for me when I consume some animal protein. I was vegan for a while and only felt good eating several times a day. Was vegetarian for years, but would often binge unless I ate tons of avocado, nuts, etc.
    YES GIRL! It's amazing. I couldn't maintain it being vegan because I wasn't feeling full enough. I'm going to continue with OMAD and once I get down to my desired weight I will go back to vegan. So glad someone else had such a good experience as I've had so far. I love being able to have a whole pizza for like 1100 calories and still be in a calorie deficit lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clara_M View Post
    This works for me, but I arrived at it not as a Big Plan, but simply by following my not fighting my natural inclinations: I don't wake up hungry and only get hungry early on when I start eating. So dropping breakfast has been pretty close to OMAD for me. Lunch often goes by the wayside, as well - though I'll commonly have something like an apple or some nuts at some point before dinner. And then that's it until dinner!

If I have a truly LARGE meal (the kind where others will look at me and wonder how I can eat so much at my size - I have a freakishly huge stomach capacity, it seems), which I do once in a while, then I'm likely not to be hungry at ALL the next day. I could fairly easily do One Meal Every TWO Days. I probably would, if it weren't for the want/need to have meals with others, and so on.

If I need to have lunch for social reasons, then I'll usually pass up on dinner, or that will turn into the apple+nuts meal, instead.

In my case, it works largely effortlessly, because I "designed" it around my "low-hanging fruit", i.e., knowing that I don't wake up hungry, and taking advantage of that. My whole system basically gets down to "Whatever else, DON'T EAT IF YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY!".

Being being able to do this, I had to "unhook" from sugar and the HABIT of eating all the time. That took me two-three days, and it was VERY unpleasant, but I haven't gotten hooked again. But 2-3 days of unpleasant not to have a lifetime of obesity is clearly worth it. Masturbation was my distractor of choice for that period, but... whatever works for others :-).

(Now that I've developed an unrelated problem that means I need to cut down on salt, I actually have trouble keeping weight UP, because I have to limit large intakes of salty stuff like potato chips in social events, and those bouts of "overeating" seemed to be a significant part of my overall calories. I end up having to make a point of compensating by eating a bunch of unsalted peanuts. If it gets any worse, I may even have to sometimes eat unwanted sweet crap as "breakfast" once in a while to trigger being hungry the rest of the day on purpose.)
    I have the worst salt-tooth too lol. I shockingly have no want to eat during the day as long as I'm keeping busy but if I'm not I just sit there and think about what I could be eating. Just brought coffee back into my diet so that actually helps a ton with pushing off my appetite. I love this way of eating.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,634 Times in 3,236 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

I have energy when I eat 3 times a day or 2 full meals. Drink lots of water of course.

One meal on a busy day/night = brain fog to the max.