Thread: Credit Card Fraud

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Credit Card Fraud

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I had over 5k in charges, apparently from when I used my card in a different country while traveling and somehow someone got my numbers.

I was just looking over my bank statements yesterday, and now this happened with my business account. Someone out of Northern CA is using my card to treat themselves to beauty treatments, massages and acupuncture. There might be a few more charges I didn't notice for knick-knacks but the ones I reported to my bank were the most glaring, such as foot massages, that have no place on anyone's business account.

The first time, my bank refunded me all the charges, which was nice. This time, I think it is also pretty obvious that I'm not making these charges since I live outside of that city and haven't even been there but once since the summer, but I don't know if I'll get a refund and I don't want to be a high-risk customer either. It's about 1.3k and some of the charges are double, making me think it might be two people behind this, this time, like two girls going to a spa together.

I use my card A LOT A LOT. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do? What happened?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 726 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Re: Credit Card Fraud

I've had this happen to me, but not to such an extreme extent. The bank refunded the charges, canceled the card, and sent me a new one. They knew it wasn't me because the charges were totally unlike me. $70 at Papa John's, $900 at Nordstrom, $300 at Sports Authority. It's unsettling, and the situation is a headache but it can happen to anyone, anywhere. Credit card fraud is extremely common and criminals are getting more sophisticated with their methods. Rest assured, most banks will give you the money back without much of a hassle. In your case, it's obvious that the transactions are not you. You can get these credit card sleeves on Amazon that are supposed to prevent skimmers from reading your card info (all a thief has to do is walk past you and they can scan your card while it's in your purse tucked away in your wallet).

It's inconvenient and it makes you angry to imagine the low-lives who did it, but there's not much more you can do, other than report it to your bank and wait for them to sort it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

As I'm looking through the charges again, I think it's actually more than 1.3k. When I had this happen the first time, I think this person was using it for everyday expenses and food but it went on for so long unchecked, which is why it tallied up to such a high amount. This time, the charges are for things that I don't even by for myself!!!! If I'm working my tail off at a strip club, lots of hours, sure, I'd get a massage or if I'm working at the clubs, sure I'll get my hair and nails done bc if I don't I will no longer have the job. But these charges are for like fancy notebooks, pens, collections of stamps and spa and foot massage treatments. Like how much crap and pampering does a person even need? It's sick! I tried to call some of these places where the charges were made to see if I can track the perpetrator that way and no one at these places even speaks English.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,868 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSugarMonster View Post
    Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I had over 5k in charges, apparently from when I used my card in a different country while traveling and somehow someone got my numbers.

I was just looking over my bank statements yesterday, and now this happened with my business account. Someone out of Northern CA is using my card to treat themselves to beauty treatments, massages and acupuncture. There might be a few more charges I didn't notice for knick-knacks but the ones I reported to my bank were the most glaring, such as foot massages, that have no place on anyone's business account.

The first time, my bank refunded me all the charges, which was nice. This time, I think it is also pretty obvious that I'm not making these charges since I live outside of that city and haven't even been there but once since the summer, but I don't know if I'll get a refund and I don't want to be a high-risk customer either. It's about 1.3k and some of the charges are double, making me think it might be two people behind this, this time, like two girls going to a spa together.

I use my card A LOT A LOT. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do? What happened?
    Someone "skimmed" the info when you used the card, OR someone actually copied the info off of the card and got a credit card advance.

This happened to my boyfriend ...It was funny because it was definitely online fraud in his case so the CC company refunded his money.
    He who controls the spice controls the universe, chingada madre

LA Woman, You're My Woman- The Doors

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

I have had this happen, although not to such extremes.

When I travel out of the country, I do let my credit card co./bank know in advance, and they keep those alerts on file for something like two years, but I also request a notification by phone or email for each individual purchase with the cards. I can then check my CC activity every evening before bed and feel much more on-top of things. I think some cards also have this option for full-time rather than just travel-time use, because my dad gets a little chime right away on his phone whenever his AmEx gets dinged. Could be a good thing to look into.

Glad to see someone mentioned those protective sleeves, I want to see about getting some. Just got a CC mess untangled a couple weeks ago, had to get my card shut down and re-issued. It's an even greater PITA during the holidays. In my case, it was because I donated to some legit causes online via FB & GoFundMe, and some bastard somewhere probably stole/sold my info. So no more of that, unfortunately.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jalena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    I've had this happen to me, but not to such an extreme extent. The bank refunded the charges, canceled the card, and sent me a new one. They knew it wasn't me because the charges were totally unlike me. $70 at Papa John's, $900 at Nordstrom, $300 at Sports Authority. It's unsettling, and the situation is a headache but it can happen to anyone, anywhere. Credit card fraud is extremely common and criminals are getting more sophisticated with their methods. Rest assured, most banks will give you the money back without much of a hassle. In your case, it's obvious that the transactions are not you. You can get these credit card sleeves on Amazon that are supposed to prevent skimmers from reading your card info (all a thief has to do is walk past you and they can scan your card while it's in your purse tucked away in your wallet).

It's inconvenient and it makes you angry to imagine the low-lives who did it, but there's not much more you can do, other than report it to your bank and wait for them to sort it.
    You won't spend nine hundred dollars at Nordstorm?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yaya_cash For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yaya_cash View Post
    I'll drop money for hair and nails and $30 thongs for work but I get nervous when I spend $80 at Goodwill.

I hope that this is resolved in my favor. It's crazy bc I do make a lot a lot of charges on that card but it's not for foot massages or $101 of candy from a candy store.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 932 Posts

Where am I? Home for the Holidays!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 726 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Haha I wish I'm way too frugal these days

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Credit Card Fraud / Recently learned this!

Had it happen very recently, someone in TX was making many charges at restaurants and bars. The bank quickly cancelled and sent me a new card, but wanted interest on the charges!
    I learned the bank's 'Fraud Department' exists to refund customer's money, but does Zero about even reporting the theft. I let them know that I was pist about the time I wasted talking to them to get a measly credit for the interest on a fraudulent charge. Was surprised to learn that they wouldn't even investigate or even call the police.
    They just make up for the loss by charging their customers high interest and fees!
    I'm getting pist again just thinking about it. LOL
    Originally Posted by anjelina
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I can be spiteful and wish that I could get the police involved to put the ppl in jail where they belong for something like this. I tried calling some of the places where my card was used but no one speaks English.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroSugarMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,636 Times in 8,098 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Crossfingers Re: Credit Card Fraud

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSugarMonster View Post
    I can be spiteful and wish that I could get the police involved to put the ppl in jail where they belong for something like this. I tried calling some of the places where my card was used but no one speaks English.
    I understand, that's gotta be frustrating AF..
    I recently had a check stolen from the mail & cashed (not by me).
    I found out who, I wasn't supposed to tho.
    They said it was possible it was deposited by phone.
    As was mentioned, there's so much theft now.

Last year, my credit was hacked (I made an online purchase thru wifi) for $85.00
    I had to go to the bank & they cancelled my card, I waited a week for a new one.
    I had to sign affidavits saying it wasn't me. I got the $ back.
    I usually use.paypal for an extra security, but nothing's foolproof.
    My friends hubs got ripped off for 5k in business checks

Can you find someone who speaks the language to help.you?
    Or at least if you could look up a few phrases to ask for an English speaker..
    I worked @ a call center, we had so many different language tranlaters on standby..
    Can Interpol help you?
    Good luck, I hope you get it resolved!
    Last edited by whirlerz; 12-07-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Last time this happened, the bank credited me the entire amount that was taken. I hope that they do the same this time, as it's obviously not purchases made by me. I've been banking with them for over 10 years, have a credit card with a good amount of credit with them, pay fees for several different account I have open with them, and have stored a lot a lot of money with them throughout the years. I don't know if that would make any difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,506 Times in 3,176 Posts

I would reiterate all that to them. They want you to stay a customer so you theoretically keep paying interest. Definitely report this, I cannot fathom just eating 1.3k. If they give you grief, escalate to a supervisor and calmly say you'll cancel the card.

I had a cc stolen this summer - luckily I noticed and locked it, but the issuer texted me when the thief tried to use it after. They immediately cancelled it and gave me a new card. No fuss whatsoever.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."
    - Lux ATL

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

I suggest you check with your bank or credit card company about setting up alerts. Most have them available. You can set an amount that if a transaction goes over said amount, you will receive either an email or a text message. I have set on all cards/accounts. One, I don't get notice til the next day yet another one I receive within an hour of the transaction. It doesn't prevent you or anyone from using the card, merely notifies you of the transaction over your set amount.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Raider For This Useful Post: