Thread: LCSW / Future Therapist Job Background Checks

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Dizzy LCSW / Future Therapist Job Background Checks

Hi all, this is pretty specific but I'm trying to get into dancing soon and am stuck on figuring out if my future goal of being an LCSW and a sex and relationship therapist will be affected. As far as I could gather from threads about other vanilla jobs requiring licensing, your tax records of any job from your past can come up in background checks and cost you a fine for "unprofessional conduct". Can I avoid this by just calling myself an independent artist/writer on my taxes? Or should I not even bother and just take out a huge loan for school???? I also have a vanilla day job that I plan to keep, so I shouldn't have any gaps in my resume to raise red flags... Basically has anyone gone on to be a therapist of any kind and bumped up against issues with licensure? Thanks a bunch!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,937 Times in 2,890 Posts

Default Re: LCSW / Future Therapist Job Background Checks

Hopefully someone will give you an answer. Unfortunately I can't but you could always put freelance artist, freelance model, freelance consultant, or something along those lines when you file your taxes. I am a freelance model for tax purposes. You just plan on dancing part-time? I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but if it helps I do know a few people who danced while going to nursing school and one who did while attending law school. One of them still works part-time as a dancer, even though she's an RN with a well paying job at a hospital. She has had no issues. That being said, there's really no guarantee in anything. You can quietly moonlight as a dancer part-time, stack some cash, and exit once you land your dream job, granted that you hit no snags. I think the main concern would be if a relative, coworker, professor, or someone you knew came into the club, recognized you, and outed you. Good luck.
    "There will always be a part of me that is dirty and sloppy, but I like that, just like all the other parts of myself. I can forgive. Can you say the same for yourself, fucker?" - Silver Linings Playbook

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,847 Times in 944 Posts
    My Mood
    Confused
    Blog Entries

My mom was a dancer and has her masters in psychology-unfortunately intellectualzing recovery doesn’t work. She’s still very sick and toxic. Anyways, stay off paper and you will be fine. Also the field of study should is liberal and non-judgemental? But people’s willful ignorance and hatefulness doesn’t surprise me, better to be safe and keep it on the low low.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,778 Times in 3,236 Posts

If you're seeing all the fear mongering threads by Melonie, please ignore them. She was generally a wealth of good info but on that topic it was rather skewed due to her personal experience... IIRC, she was arrested for not obeying local laws as a stripper WHILE she held a license. I'd venture to guess the trouble was more due to the breaking of the law than the 'being a stripper' thing. They can't retroactively fine you for something you did before you got the license either.

I've had many years of stripper licenses in 2 jurisdictions and file taxes on the income (no, I don't write 'stripper', it's a generic occupation code that could mean a lot of things). I've been hired by the state, hired by a hospital, and gotten the highest level fingerprint clearance card you can get (the one needed to work with children).... I think it's safe to say that it's not been a problem
    I also work with a girl who's an RN and her doctor's office knows all about her side gig. No issues there.

Background checks do not show your tax info. They *might* show employment info via your credit report if you ever list it to get a loan (and then it's fairly easy to have removed). The only way someone can get your tax return is if they get you to sign a form 4506-T. This is pretty damn rare with employment, I've only heard of it done to verify salary at a previous job (think going from one high up corporate job to another, etc., so the new company doesn't get 'scammed' into paying you 'too much').
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."
    - Lux ATL

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Though I’m not the OP, but thank you so much!! I actually want to go imto the same field as the op and become a sex & relationship therapist. But i was SUPER worried i would get denied my license if and once i finish school. I was really getting discouraged and been depressed & upset the last few days. Thinking my desire to pay my bills the only comfortable way i can ruined my future.

To the op, juno.goddess I would love to send you a pm and ask you some questions about become a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    If you're seeing all the fear mongering threads by Melonie, please ignore them. She was generally a wealth of good info but on that topic it was rather skewed due to her personal experience... IIRC, she was arrested for not obeying local laws as a stripper WHILE she held a license. I'd venture to guess the trouble was more due to the breaking of the law than the 'being a stripper' thing. They can't retroactively fine you for something you did before you got the license either.

I've had many years of stripper licenses in 2 jurisdictions and file taxes on the income (no, I don't write 'stripper', it's a generic occupation code that could mean a lot of things). I've been hired by the state, hired by a hospital, and gotten the highest level fingerprint clearance card you can get (the one needed to work with children).... I think it's safe to say that it's not been a problem
    I also work with a girl who's an RN and her doctor's office knows all about her side gig. No issues there.

Background checks do not show your tax info. They *might* show employment info via your credit report if you ever list it to get a loan (and then it's fairly easy to have removed). The only way someone can get your tax return is if they get you to sign a form 4506-T. This is pretty damn rare with employment, I've only heard of it done to verify salary at a previous job (think going from one high up corporate job to another, etc., so the new company doesn't get 'scammed' into paying you 'too much').