Thread: Trump Supposed Tax Cuts

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Trump Supposed Tax Cuts

I continue to struggle to get my returns done, still too stubborn to hire an accountant and am using turbo tax instead. Anyhow, how drastically did the increase in the standard deduction change ppl's tax bracket? I'm seeing that the numbers are A LOT lower for me this year both on turbo tax, checked against H&R block, like a LOT lower. Yet, everyone is saying that Trump's tax overhaul has caused a tax increase. What is true?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,538 Times in 2,214 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Re: Trump Supposed Tax Cuts

When you increase deductions and reduce tax rates, your total tax bill goes lower. This is what a vast majority of taxpayers experienced, including you apparently. Some of the major media outlets were briefly running with a very goofy story about lower tax returns, but that story quickly dried up when more data came out.

The one notable exception is for those who itemize their deductions and pay a lot in state and local property taxes. The SALT deduction, which used to be unlimited, is now capped at $10,000. This has mainly affected affluent people in high tax states like CA, NY, NJ and CT. So let's say a wealthy person pays 75k per in state taxes and another 25k per year in property taxes. He used to be able to deduct the entire 100k from his taxable income. Now that he is limited to a 10k deduction, he has to pay federal taxes on 90k more, all at the highest applicable tax bracket for that person. For extremely wealthy people, these numbers get even significantly higher.

If you are in one of those high tax states and work in the adult entertainment industry, this may be coloring what you hear. But anyone who itemizes deductions saw a tax cut, pure and simple. So too did a guy like me, who does itemize deductions but lives in a state with no state income taxes and very manageable property tax rates.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

The standard deduction being double than what it was, $12000, certainly helps but still, what I have seems awful low. So I guess I'll keep working on it.

Wow, as far as those tax cuts, I guess Trump really did what he said he was going to do, even if it would be detrimental to someone as wealthy as him.

Hopefully, I'll benefit as much as I'm thinking I might and not making mistakes.

The one thing I did know is that he reduced your ability to deduct stuff you were previously able to deduct as a sole proprietor, with the aforementioned cap on itemized deductions being 10k. So basically, it forces you to formalize your business into a corporation (rather than a less formal sole proprietorship) if you want to continue being eligible to expense stuff.

It's interesting how ppl misconstrue laws if they don't like them or the ppl making them, with Fosta/Sesta being another good example of how ppl blow it out of proportion about being this evil piece of legislature that's literally killing ppl left and right and also, the reclassification of dancers into employees all over CA (I personally don't think it's guaranteed to be as bad as ppl think).
    Last edited by ZeroSugarMonster; 03-14-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,128 Times in 1,478 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

It didn't help me much at all sadly, as I don't have kids and i'm not married. owe more this year than ever before due to the new tax brackets.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I don't have kids or am married, so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,022 Times in 2,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSugarMonster View Post
    The standard deduction being double than what it was, $12000, certainly helps but still, what I have seems awful low. So I guess I'll keep working on it.

Wow, as far as those tax cuts, I guess Trump really did what he said he was going to do, even if it would be detrimental to someone as wealthy as him.
    I doubt very much it was detrimental to him. Overall, the wealthiest Americans got the biggest tax cuts and benefited the most, especially business owners.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 683 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine

There are a lot less reductions allowed now. If you're not über rich then you get fucked pretty much.
    You can't reason with stupid!
    It's a night of clowns and buffoons! - Maitre de in NYC

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyla19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

overall lower brackets on income and many more deductions led to a much lower tax bill so it nothing to do with the uber rich

what you have to do is actually look past what used to be blanket deductions and do it itemized. you will find you save money

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OmegaWest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 619 Posts

This was definitely a pro-business tax cut. For my business, we got a nice tax reduction. That meant more money to pay people, and expand, which I did. Like a lot of employers, I gave employees a nice raise for 2018 which has translated into a nice raise for 2019. Because I can expense more of my capital expenditures, my company's 2018 taxable income is down, as are my taxes. However, cash flow is much better. And, that's a very good thing. Since I don't have a lot of foreign operations, I didn't really benefit from the changes in U.S. taxation of foreign source income, but, it has definitely helped my portfolio. So, that's been a good thing too. All told, my tax bill is down. I have been saving and investing more. I'm a happy camper.

XOXO
    Z

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Trump's tax-cut bill is already caused an economic bubble as well with a bloated trade deficit.

But that's neoliberalism for ya. I don't know how's he's going to win next year's election when the bubble is projected to pop somewhere in late-2020.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 305gurl For This Useful Post: