Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 925

Thread: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!!

  1. #1
    Featured Member LaylaLovely's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    1,326
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 652 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!!

    https://fortune.com/2019/10/03/adult...time-pay-porn/

    Any and all adult performers need to read this and vote against it ! We are all independent contractors and in Jan 2020 all companies will have to make us employers or drop us unless we get on the exception list!They are trying to make is a positive thing because we get "benefits" but when the obama healthcare came into place instead of employers giving there employers "benefits" they instead cut there hours in half to work around it leaving a lot of ppl without jobs to pay the bills
    Instagram - LaylaLovely56
    Twitter- LaylaLovelyXXX


  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaylaLovely For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    God/dess xxxGothBarbie's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bi coastal Gypsy
    Posts
    3,644
    Thanks
    4,859
    Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,540 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaLovely View Post
    https://fortune.com/2019/10/03/adult...time-pay-porn/

    Any and all adult performers need to read this and vote against it ! We are all independent contractors and in Jan 2020 all companies will have to make us employers or drop us unless we get on the exception list!They are trying to make is a positive thing because we get "benefits" but when the obama healthcare came into place instead of employers giving there employers "benefits" they instead cut there hours in half to work around it leaving a lot of ppl without jobs to pay the bills
    I don't see how that affects cam models really, it just said porn stars. I'm not a ca resident so Im not worried.
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

    "Respect is a dying art"

    "Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"


  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    God/dess SuperPookie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,460
    Thanks
    1,861
    Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,189 Posts
    My Mood
    Sleepy

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    I don't see how that affects cam models really, it just said porn stars. I'm not a ca resident so Im not worried.
    Well I'm not either but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be concerned for models that are.
    My state has the opposite problem. Loads of employers list their employees as independent contractors even though they aren't in order to avoid paying social security etc. It's rampant.

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperPookie For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Featured Member Erika_Xstacy's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    4,913
    Thanked 3,104 Times in 977 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    simply put IMO:

    I dont understand this law.
    Its horrible for entertainers, suddenly a big brother?



    performers are naturally free ppl. this is very controlling. I heard about this and regressed bck to when I worked at a salon:
    I operate a nail business. ONE TIME I worked for someone else, its a whole new ball game. Power and control games come into play. example: I was written up and suspended for calling my own clients and moving them, as I am use to operating this way. I was to put my signature on a piece of paper. I went the fuck off. Lost my shit bc of control, noone controls me, IDGAF if your JESUS.. i never signed the paper, i was told "he understood" after realizing I ran my own salon but truth be told he couldnt replace me or my nails and Im quick to hit the road. a cpl years down the road he tried controlling the products I use. Nope again, another fight. I stayed 6 years miserable. I always felt watched. I started hating my job. I quit after 6 years when i found cammodeling and it took 10 to come back out and do it again, on my own.
    I took the nail gig at the salon bc its the salon Ive ever heard of that paid vacations, healthcare and sick days as long as you gave notice. Theres always more red tape to bust through.


    My first thought was to just run business as normal but start handing the clubs a bill of sale or vice versa for space rented such as there are X amount of chairs in the dressing room, that space is occupied by its tenant and that tenant only. So much more plays into that with dancers.

    I dont think it can really touch cammodels, we are virtual providers.


    I hope the outcome is positive. I really do.
    Im scared of the control issues that will rise up.

    what does the Union have to say on this? Will there be options?
    Last edited by Erika_Xstacy; 10-04-2019 at 03:19 PM.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erika_Xstacy For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    God/dess xxxGothBarbie's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bi coastal Gypsy
    Posts
    3,644
    Thanks
    4,859
    Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,540 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Erika_Xstacy View Post
    simply put IMO:

    I dont understand this law.
    Its horrible for entertainers, suddenly a big brother?



    performers are naturally free ppl. this is very controlling. I heard about this and regressed bck to when I worked at a salon:
    I operate a nail business. ONE TIME I worked for someone else, its a whole new ball game. Power and control games come into play. example: I was written up and suspended for calling my own clients and moving them, as I am use to operating this way. I was to put my signature on a piece of paper. I went the fuck off. Lost my shit bc of control, noone controls me, IDGAF if your JESUS.. i never signed the paper, i was told "he understood" after realizing I ran my own salon but truth be told he couldnt replace me or my nails and Im quick to hit the road. a cpl years down the road he tried controlling the products I use. Nope again, another fight. I stayed 6 years miserable. I always felt watched. I started hating my job. I quit after 6 years when i found cammodeling and it took 10 to come back out and do it again, on my own.
    I took the nail gig at the salon bc its the salon Ive ever heard of that paid vacations, healthcare and sick days as long as you gave notice. Theres always more red tape to bust through.


    My first thought was to just run business as normal but start handing the clubs a bill of sale or vice versa for space rented such as there are X amount of chairs in the dressing room, that space is occupied by its tenant and that tenant only. So much more plays into that with dancers.

    I dont think it can really touch cammodels, we are virtual providers.


    I hope the outcome is positive. I really do.
    Im scared of the control issues that will rise up.

    what does the Union have to say on this? Will there be options?

    I agree but how could it affect cam models? I mean the day they tell us when to work, give a schedule, or whatever will be a snowballs chance in hell IMO. They control strippers that way in CA now but I doubt it'll truly stick for long bc girls are gonna find other avenues putting these sites/clubs out of business. I hope it doesn't happen, I really do coz I agree with you Erika, NO ONE controls me either

    I honestly don't see how they can control a pornstar that way? esp if they don't work 40 hrs in a week?
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

    "Respect is a dying art"

    "Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Featured Member LaurenAus's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    Thanks
    4,459
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 655 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    I hate this law. Most of my jobs are ic and I love the freedom that comes with it. I wonder if companies will simply let go of their California users being that they won’t wanna pay an hourly and benefits???
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetJulia View Post
    everyone I've fucked who was awful in bed should be forced to have sex with each other so they can all, collectively, figure out why I never called them back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Sunset View Post
    Nothing makes me feel like less of an adult than walking into several other people's apartments and realizing we all own the exact same lamp from K-mart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam38g View Post
    The fantasy sold to women through out history that a man will come along & rescue us is a lie.

  12. #7
    Featured Member Charlotteslut's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    785
    Thanks
    1,409
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 582 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    idk how this would work with sex work specifically but I do think gig companies like Uber etc exploit people. they call it freedom but it's like...the freedom to not have basic compensation and benefits lol. we have labour laws for a reason but companies are finding sneaky ways to get around being fair to workers/having basic standards because they are like well you're not Really an Employee

  13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Charlotteslut For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Veteran Member Dorothea's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    707
    Thanks
    428
    Thanked 646 Times in 280 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    deleted
    Last edited by Dorothea; 10-07-2019 at 06:38 PM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorothea For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    Curious Guest ladyamalthea.cammodels's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Hello, Everyone!
    Maybe I missed it, but is this law based on where the employees live, or where the company is based out of?

  17. #10
    Veteran Member Dorothea's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    707
    Thanks
    428
    Thanked 646 Times in 280 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    deleted
    Last edited by Dorothea; 10-07-2019 at 06:38 PM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorothea For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Featured Member LaurenAus's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,264
    Thanks
    4,459
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 655 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothea View Post

    Great find and confirms my exact fear. That they might just avoid hiring California residents due to the hassle of having to “hire” us as actual employees. This has to be one of the most irritating laws passed, impeding on our freedom to create our own schedule and have side hustles
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetJulia View Post
    everyone I've fucked who was awful in bed should be forced to have sex with each other so they can all, collectively, figure out why I never called them back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Sunset View Post
    Nothing makes me feel like less of an adult than walking into several other people's apartments and realizing we all own the exact same lamp from K-mart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam38g View Post
    The fantasy sold to women through out history that a man will come along & rescue us is a lie.

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaurenAus For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 770 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Here's another good article https://adultbizlaw.com/2019/09/24/h...cam-platforms/

    I would personally argue that we're not performers, but salespeople. We ultimately have to hustle like salespeople, and we get paid when we make a sale. We can set and negotiate our rates and services. We set our hours. We work from where we choose. All of these factors should hypothetically make us exempt from the law. But we'll see how cam sites get interpreted in regards to the wording of the law. I'm a CA resident, so I'll be watching this very carefully.
    Last edited by anonamiss; 10-05-2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added thoughts

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anonamiss For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Featured Member LaylaLovely's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    1,326
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 652 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    This affects not just California residents but California businesses so even if your not in California but you work for say.... niteflirt they are California based so they have to comply if this passes all the way! I have spoken to BM and they are already working on getting into compliance by talking to cpa and lawyers but from what they said is we will have taxes taken out for California models . I have messaged niteflirt too to see what there take is since they are California based they will have to comply or move out of state... both are annoying and expensive!!! My biggest fear is sites cutting California models completely to avoid the extra work and money to have us as employees!!! Luckily most my sites are under BM so I think that keeps us safe from sites that might ban CA models .i am also curious to sites outside US like OnlyFans it's one of my top eggs !

    Also if you are not worried about this Because your not in CA laws only spread overtime so who knows what state is next if this passes.
    Instagram - LaylaLovely56
    Twitter- LaylaLovelyXXX


  24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LaylaLovely For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 770 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaLovely View Post
    My biggest fear is sites cutting California models completely to avoid the extra work and money to have us as employees!!! Luckily most my sites are under BM so I think that keeps us safe from sites that might ban CA models .

    Also if you are not worried about this Because your not in CA laws only spread overtime so who knows what state is next if this passes.
    sorry for the naive question but what does "under BM" mean in this case?

  26. #15
    Featured Member LaylaLovely's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    1,326
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 652 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    "sorry for the naive question but what does "under BM" mean in this case?"


    Sorry Boleyn Models daily pay Studio
    Instagram - LaylaLovely56
    Twitter- LaylaLovelyXXX


  27. The Following User Says Thank You to LaylaLovely For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 770 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaLovely View Post
    Sorry Boleyn Models daily pay Studio
    ah, okay. Thanks. So you're saying they aren't based in Cali therefore you should hypothetically be safe? That would be an interesting way for CA performers to work around the law. I'll keep that in mind.

  29. #17
    Featured Member LaylaLovely's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    1,326
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 652 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    ^^^So basically the sites are paying Boleyn models studio not us based in California so the responsibility would lie on BM who pays us California models and we get our 1099 from
    Instagram - LaylaLovely56
    Twitter- LaylaLovelyXXX


  30. #18
    Senior Member Mal707's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 210 Times in 93 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Crap. This sucks I’m in California and working a few cam sites. Sounds like Boleyn is a safer place to be, tho I have no need for daily pay. I’ll read more about it though

  31. #19
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 770 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal707 View Post
    Crap. This sucks I’m in California and working a few cam sites. Sounds like Boleyn is a safer place to be, tho I have no need for daily pay. I’ll read more about it though
    I dunno, the more I think about it the less it makes sense for any studio to act as a safe haven against the rule. What would stop the law from cracking down on studios paying California contractors too?

    I wouldn't get too paranoid yet. I don't think anything is going to happen on January 1st. Uber and other targeted companies are going to be pushing hard for this not to happen, which will likely mean a lot of time in court before anything really comes to fruition. I also firmly believe we as camgirls shouldn't apply to the law as I mentioned in my other post. Its arguably different for porn stars who are in fact obligated to be on site for a certain amount of hours, and they generally can't negotiate/choose their rates, unlike us, which are key characteristics of contractor work. Plus porn stars could now potentially get other on-site worker protections that are frankly irrelevant for virtual models, but relevant and beneficial to them being classified as an employee.

    I really hope some competent people get involved and advocate for cam models remaining contractors here. We'll see.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonamiss For This Useful Post:


  33. #20
    God/dess
    Joined
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,252
    Thanks
    354
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,249 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaLovely View Post
    This affects not just California residents but California businesses so even if your not in California but you work for say.... niteflirt they are California based so they have to comply if this passes all the way! I have spoken to BM and they are already working on getting into compliance by talking to cpa and lawyers but from what they said is we will have taxes taken out for California models . I have messaged niteflirt too to see what there take is since they are California based they will have to comply or move out of state... both are annoying and expensive!!! My biggest fear is sites cutting California models completely to avoid the extra work and money to have us as employees!!! Luckily most my sites are under BM so I think that keeps us safe from sites that might ban CA models .i am also curious to sites outside US like OnlyFans it's one of my top eggs !

    Also if you are not worried about this Because your not in CA laws only spread overtime so who knows what state is next if this passes.
    this was a fear I had over UK porn laws and age verf, luckily thats been postponed so many times it probably wont happen now but I understand the fear

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PixiieGirl For This Useful Post:


  35. #21
    Featured Member LaylaLovely's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    1,326
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 652 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by anonamiss View Post
    I dunno, the more I think about it the less it makes sense for any studio to act as a safe haven against the rule. What would stop the law from cracking down on studios paying California contractors too?

    I wouldn't get too paranoid yet. I don't think anything is going to happen on January 1st. Uber and other targeted companies are going to be pushing hard for this not to happen, which will likely mean a lot of time in court before anything really comes to fruition. I also firmly believe we as camgirls shouldn't apply to the law as I mentioned in my other post. Its arguably different for porn stars who are in fact obligated to be on site for a certain amount of hours, and they generally can't negotiate/choose their rates, unlike us, which are key characteristics of contractor work. Plus porn stars could now potentially get other on-site worker protections that are frankly irrelevant for virtual models, but relevant and beneficial to them being classified as an employee.

    I really hope some competent people get involved and advocate for cam models remaining contractors here. We'll see.
    We wouldn't be safe under BM . bM would just have to adjust to comply and not lose California models , but we would be safe from websites that don't want any California models because they are not paying us they are paying BM who is not in California. So if let's say a websites says no more California models... if we are in BM studio we wouldn't count because the website pays BM (not in ca)
    Instagram - LaylaLovely56
    Twitter- LaylaLovelyXXX


  36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaylaLovely For This Useful Post:


  37. #22
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 770 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Erika_Xstacy View Post
    "the way they will get cam models is by denying your stream to the state market. no compliance means you not only lose that potential state revenue stream , but they can charge you for attempting to violate the law by being a virtual provider that crosses state lines, which will bring in the FBI and the ICC.

    its a pain and a hassle but as long as democrats run the state or any state, they always tack on bigger government to pad their pockets and take advantage of the little guy/girl"


    this was left in my inbox
    "Denying your stream to the state market"

    What does that mean? It sounds like the equivalent of a mass geoblock so no California customers can see us? If that's the case, fine by me because I already geoblock the whole state.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonamiss For This Useful Post:


  39. #23
    Veteran Member Dorothea's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    707
    Thanks
    428
    Thanked 646 Times in 280 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    deleted
    Last edited by Dorothea; 10-07-2019 at 06:38 PM.

  40. #24
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    971
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 770 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothea View Post
    A friend camgirl of mine from california big city who lived with rommate no lease (the only way to be able to afford to live in her state and have some extra money packed her bags this weekend rented sublet in new orleans and leaving wednesday lol all due to this info hopes she can gtfo out on paper with new address by end of year
    anyway...that is one less tax payer for this state. She may not stay in new orleans but generally seeking new home. She is scared.
    She always paid taxes on time and never complained until now she loves cali she just scared now she will not be able to feed her cat or live a free life.
    Not sure if i can post this here but wanted you girls to know how it affects others.
    No offense to your friend, but that sounds like a very poor, rash decision to leave the state abruptly out of fear of AB5. Nothing will happen until at least January 1st, but it's far more likely that nothing will happen for much longer than that because the big companies this law is targeting are already planning to spend millions of dollars to fight it. It's no doubt going to be challenged in court and that takes time. This is going to be really complex for a lot of companies and I just don't see it being a quick/easy transition at all.

    Plus, even if we do become employees (very unlikely IMO) - that doesn't necessarily mean we're all going to be paid the same rate or be assigned hours to work or anything like that. None of us really know how any of this will play out. So why make assumptions now, let alone make full blown life-changing decisions like moving out of the state when we have no idea how this will really affect us yet?

    I would advise and encourage any paranoid models to remain calm but stay informed, and also use this time to spend less, work more, and save more. Get as prepared as you can if you're that worried.

  41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anonamiss For This Useful Post:


  42. #25
    Featured Member Erika_Xstacy's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    4,913
    Thanked 3,104 Times in 977 Posts

    Default Re: California Assembly 5 NEW LAW Independent Contractors will no longer be allowed!!

    Quote Originally Posted by anonamiss View Post
    "Denying your stream to the state market"

    What does that mean? It sounds like the equivalent of a mass geoblock so no California customers can see us? If that's the case, fine by me because I already geoblock the whole state.
    Sounds scary.
    I would be guessing if I even pretended like I know the answer.

    I use to think California and Las Vegas are the places to live. more freedom. I was going off Marijuana regulations lol

    I am truly curious what the union has to say? I feel like its not place my to ask since I dont pay the union.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 06:30 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2006, 09:06 PM
  3. Employees or Independent Contractors
    By Silverback in forum Shop Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 08:18 PM
  4. Employees or Independent Contractors
    By Silverback in forum Stripping (was Stripping General)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •