Thread: Getting a "real job" after 13 years of dancing.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Default Getting a "real job" after 13 years of dancing.

Hey everyone! I have been dancing since 2007/2008 and am now 31. I have recently stopped working as much as I used to and currently take college classes. I decided to start looking for a vanilla job since I feel like I'm a bit burnt out. I'd probably not be bringing in as much money but I could still work evenings or weekends as needed. Even if the pay isn't very good, it will help on my resume once I receive my bachelor's degree. I guess I'm a bit nervous making this change. I have not worked a regular job since I was 19. Does anyone have advice or positive stories on transitioning? I'm honestly so lost right now but I really want to try this.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,468 Times in 2,479 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Default Re: Getting a "real job" after 13 years of dancing.

Why not stick with inside sales, maybe furniture or large appliances.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Featured Member EastCoastDancer01's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,618 Times in 812 Posts

You could look into normal jobs that share some similarities with dancing (sociable and customer service/sales oriented) but aren’t too hard to get entry level work in. Bartending/waitressing, Real Estate or Insurance Sales, Car Sales, Inside Sales, Cosmetic/Retail sales, Call Center Rep, Reception Work...I would do a search on a job website like Indeed for ‘’entry level (whatever) jobs’’ and see what jobs provide paid training or are willing to hire without a lot of experience. You could take a certification or pre licensing course at a local community college in something you are interested in. These are short term and prepare you for immediate entry into the workforce.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EastCoastDancer01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,830 Times in 3,494 Posts

It is very, very easy to get a job waitressing even without experience, ESPECIALLY for attractive women.

I think that's an easy transition back into a regular job - the hours are short like dancing (4-6 hour shifts), you're using a lot of the same skills of talking to people and are generally pretty autonomous. I work in a restaurant a few days a week now & rarely interact with a 'superior' except for needing them to comp something. Then you also have something 'reportable' on your resume for if you want to pursue a career in another industry.

A lot of girls go into real estate or cosmetology but those require certs & you probably don't want to do that if you're already in college for something else. I have a friend who started doing gig work with Instacart & liked it a lot, then she started a pool cleaning business. I've been kicking around the idea of a dog walking/pet sitting business. Flexible hours, you can be selective with clients the same way as dancing, etc. You could think about stuff like that as well.

I totally understand getting a vanilla job due to burnout. I did so because of a lot of club drama & declining money = burnout about 6 months ago. It made me much happier to go to the club 2-3 times a month instead of a week. It's also good for reminding you of how good you have it as a dancer sometimes - I'm about ready to go back to the club now
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,227 Times in 8,515 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Why not stick with inside sales, maybe furniture or large appliances.
    Agreed

Some sales jobs allow you flexibility in scheduling and you can be your own boss. Similar to dancing

Also other sales jobs to consider

Real Estate
    Insurance
    Pest Control
    Home Alarm Systems
    Home improvement
    Parmaceutical
    etc

Some of these are outside sales which is good if you want to travel about your city n not be tied to an office or set location

And many of these only require a bit of training and an inexpensive license

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm almost done with my resume and I will keep you posted on what I find. I really hope it's something that I enjoy doing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KenzieJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 344 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

I've been trying to apply for any job including server jobs for the past few months (Trying to start a new chapter in my life) and it has been verrryyy hard getting a job because everyone wants experience as a server in the OC/LA area off of indeed.com..I've tried applying to legal assistant jobs as well and it has been tough. Thinking of going to an employment agency to help me out because I'm not having any luck on ziprecruiter and indeed.com ...Hope it works out for us!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    I've been trying to apply for any job including server jobs for the past few months (Trying to start a new chapter in my life) and it has been verrryyy hard getting a job because everyone wants experience as a server in the OC/LA area off of indeed.com..I've tried applying to legal assistant jobs as well and it has been tough. Thinking of going to an employment agency to help me out because I'm not having any luck on ziprecruiter and indeed.com ...Hope it works out for us!

Apply for the server job online. And then the next day, get dressed cute (not overly sexy) and head directly to the job to speak to a manager. Try to go at a time they won’t be busy.

This will get you an interview or hired much faster for jobs where being attractive helps. Ex. Waitress, cosmetic/perfume sales, etc.
    "I'm trying to get Boston George and Diego money/And stack it all up like Lego money....."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LegoMoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 401 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

My issue was always what to put on a resume? Sometimes I put that i waitresses at the club and would still get shitty looks. It’s funny how when you want to change your life, people and their biases can make it impossible to do so yet still say “get a real job” LOL.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jasmine22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by LegoMoney View Post
    Apply for the server job online. And then the next day, get dressed cute (not overly sexy) and head directly to the job to speak to a manager. Try to go at a time they won’t be busy.

This will get you an interview or hired much faster for jobs where being attractive helps. Ex. Waitress, cosmetic/perfume sales, etc.
    I was thinking of a putting a small photo of myself on the left upper side of my resume. I'd have to get the photo taken. What do you think?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine22 View Post
    My issue was always what to put on a resume? Sometimes I put that i waitresses at the club and would still get shitty looks. It’s funny how when you want to change your life, people and their biases can make it impossible to do so yet still say “get a real job” LOL.
    Was waitressing at a club your only job? If it wasn't I would leave the job out of the resume. So many people hiring are judgmental and it is competitive depending on where you live.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    I was thinking of a putting a small photo of myself on the left upper side of my resume. I'd have to get the photo taken. What do you think?
    I personally wouldn’t, but that’s just me. I was once in a position to do hiring at a job, and I didn’t like the resumes with photos. That’s just me tho. Showing up in person shows interest in the job AND they get to see how you look which may help with hiring. Don’t do this for office-type jobs tho.

For office work (like legal assistant and other type stuff) talk about this type of stuff with your SDs. They may not want you working in THEIR office for obvious reasons, but they likely know a colleague who works at a place that is hiring. Also, just chatting up normal men about how you’re looking for a job helps. They can help you get your foot in the door with no experience.

You wouldn’t believe how much hiring is done based off of “hire so-and-so cause I know her” vs. the company just searching through online resumes.
    "I'm trying to get Boston George and Diego money/And stack it all up like Lego money....."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LegoMoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,830 Times in 3,494 Posts

Second showing up at the place. The management at mine is VERY looks based, only the hot girls get to bartend or get full time server shifts. Another store's owner refuses to hire "cattle", crude I know. Use this to your advantage though.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    Second showing up at the place. The management at mine is VERY looks based, only the hot girls get to bartend or get full time server shifts. Another store's owner refuses to hire "cattle", crude I know. Use this to your advantage though.
    I can't drive cars for delivery or work in an environment where I am distributing alcohol or alcohol is there until 2024 due to probation. It's been a struggle and a lesson at the same time. Found a place that is willing to pay for school for me due to my predicament today. I'm feeling hopeful.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,467 Times in 1,439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine

I tell people I was a personal trainer. Did you care for your family? If you have kids say you’re a stay at home? I also said I was mother’s care taker-i did a lot of emotional and financial support, so I said I took care of my mom. They legally can’t ask specific question about my mother’s illness. Find something with a little bit of truth and stick with it! They don’t need to know you danced. It’s unfortunate we are still living in the dark ages, but telling the truth just doesn’t work.

Also another white lie, saying you were a starving artist...an actress....LOL. If you live in LA or New York no one would question you.

Practice your story in the mirror before the interview and SELL it!

We aren’t wearing scarlet letters even though it feels like it sometimes.
    milfin’ ain’t easy

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by LegoMoney View Post
    I personally wouldn’t, but that’s just me. I was once in a position to do hiring at a job, and I didn’t like the resumes with photos. That’s just me tho. Showing up in person shows interest in the job AND they get to see how you look which may help with hiring. Don’t do this for office-type jobs tho.

For office work (like legal assistant and other type stuff) talk about this type of stuff with your SDs. They may not want you working in THEIR office for obvious reasons, but they likely know a colleague who works at a place that is hiring. Also, just chatting up normal men about how you’re looking for a job helps. They can help you get your foot in the door with no experience.

You wouldn’t believe how much hiring is done based off of “hire so-and-so cause I know her” vs. the company just searching through online resumes.
    Considering going the legal route while in school with an attorney who knows another just for the money and getting the experience/money. Good idea.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,023 Times in 1,881 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I danced for 10 years before going vanilla it's not easy. You get used to certain freedoms dancing. I would generally suggest waitress or bartending.
    xoxo

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

My opinion may not be most helpful, but honestly you don’t get look better on a resume because of a generic vanilla job. I think a college degree first is more important for jobs that you eventually applied too. So if you’re leaving thinking a waitress gig helps on resume, I would reconsider.

That degree already sets you apart. Periodt.

Try to intern in your field (I don’t know what that is) that should help on your resume. And if it’s medical, try volunteering at your local hospital for some hours. Not saying do this for a long time but just to get into the field.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,173 Posts

I danced for 8 ish years (off and on... full time the last 3 years or so). I finally was just done w/ clubs and stopped cold turkey. I waitressed & bartended for a while, which does make the transition easier. However, the lifestyle isn't much different from clubs (I was working in skimpy bars. Money was good but lifestyle was basically the same as strip clubs). Once I got over THAT lifestyle I decided to go another route...now I'm in real estate!

I am way happier now and am so glad I made the change even though I went through a tough transition period. Real estate is a great career for those who don't have a great resume either. You can definitely lie on your resume and claim you bartended or waitressed for years at a few places in town and I highly doubt any real estate office will call to verify. As long as you have your real estate license you're good.

I wish you luck and don't be discouraged in taking the leap!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to 22lligm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,168 Times in 4,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

I got a "real" job. I don't know if I'm going back to dancing
    "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "-Mr. Garrison, South Park.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

I got a "real" job. I don't know if I'm going back to dancing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,723 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine

wow really??? I thought you hated your "real" job.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Winged Dinghy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Dinghy View Post
    wow really??? I thought you hated your "real" job.
    I do. But I hated being fat even more.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to tempest666 For This Useful Post: