Thread: Starting college later in life mid 20s+

Banned
    Thanks

Default Starting college later in life mid 20s+

Not sure if anyone dealt with this as a mid-20s+ age student, unmarried and no children... but did you went to college later in life? How did it felt?

I started college the past two months (I figured winter semester better than never), and I been doing okay- so far As but is this the college experience? I started at a community college and not living in dorms, not sure what yall experience during college later in life. So far it feels good but Im not sure what this college experience people search for.

I already lived the party life and saw all that, so just focusing on my education.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 406 Posts

Default Re: Starting college later in life mid 20s+

I went back to school at 26, unmarried no kids. I really enjoyed community college. I liked that everyone at community colleges is employed, even the youngins. Different experience for sure than the typical dorm life, but like you said you've lived the party life already. It sounds like you're right where you need to be.

When I started school I blended in fine what with looking younger due to dancing/taking care of myself. People always took me for 22-23. Now I'm getting ready to finish up grad school this summer at 32 and I'm pretty over it. I still feel youthful but also am aware of the maturity difference between myself and traditional students/new grads in my field who are in their 20s. Very ready to start working and being taken seriously as a professional rather than a student.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lurkingtitties For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 Times in 1,439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine

Lol...I’ve been in school off and on. I studied early childhood, computer programming, personal training, and now I’m pre nursing. Community colleges tend to be more non traditional friendly especially night classes. I had a guy in biology class was in his 50’s-60’s. He seemed a little insecure about his age. My saying is, “so long as there is breath there is time.” I’m on my own journey. People can judge me, but they aren’t “my people” so IDGAF.

Most community colleges are non traditional friendly. Most people will charge careers several times. It’s not like it use to be where you got a degree and worked for a company and retired.

As far as the other students in my class, I live in a conservative area, so most women my age are married or have kids responsibilities and don’t have time to hang out after class. But they have all been nice to me. Most non traditional students are focused on school, not making friends. Although I’m sure if I was more inclined I would make friends.
    Last edited by Ifyouseekamy; 03-05-2020 at 04:31 AM.
    milfin aint easy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

I started my undergrad the traditional way as a teenager and had to stop because I was on my own and could not afford it. I went back ten, count ’em, ten years later. There were moments that I felt like I didn’t fit in with the other students. Like when my French professor asked us how old we were and when I answered he repeated it three times in French incredulously and then finally gave up and asked me in English, you’re saying you’re 30 years old? I had said yes each time. That was annoying but not embarrassing. Also the day I went back to my college to become reinstated and the registrar said “I don’t see your file” and I had to tell her go back ten years. And she very loudly said “you have been out of school ten years!”
    But not everyone will have opportunities like this to realize and then publicly call you out on your age. And people could never tell my age unless they had evidence. I look like I just turned 22. It will be fine. I was a late bloomer and my GPA at graduation was 3.81. I was surprised how much easier stuff was to understand than when I was juggling a 50 something hour work week with commuting 4 hours to school and a tumultuous relationship.
    There is nothing like being in school. Have fun!

Banned
    Thanks

@prosserpine

That’s pretty rude of him to make a big deal about 30. Maybe he was more shock that you look young. That can happen.

I look like I’m in my 20s but people can’t guess where because I carry an older demeanour (from when I work in the office, best describe as anywhere from 21 to 29). I like to think I look my age... and I don’t feel any discrimination in college with my classes.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,867 Times in 3,852 Posts

Older students tend to do better in college than younger ones. Who cares what others think, you are doing this for you & a better life.

And you are still young.
    Video blogs on Camming industry & how to succeed at camming.

Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is. Mae West

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sam38g For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm thinking of going back to college as an unmarried, no kids almost 30 year old. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely going to milk the milf money of this industry while I'm there and maybe even after on the side. It's just nice to have a 'normal' job to fall back on when I get absolutely sick of this biz. I have done some schooling in my 20s but never stuck with anything so I am determined to have something I have actually completed under my belt. I have friends in their 30s who are still completing school. My path has been about travel and fun in my 20s, and I really don't regret that!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananaqueen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I went to nursing school at 24 and got my bachelors. Now at age 37, I am back, in grad school. Been dancing off and on, part time, throughout all that. Could not be happier. I am more focused and driven than ever. I know who I am and what I want, which means WHAT I want to study and WHY, which makes me an excellent student. It is never too late to go back to school. I have people in their 40s and 50s in my program along with the 20 and 30 somethings. Seriously it's never ever ever too late. Lifelong learner and proud of it. I seriously will probably be in school until I die, I freaking love it

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrienne7 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

I don’t know if I’m a life long learner in the academic setting just yet. I read plenty of books but I’m kind of like driven for specific knowledge... and in college I feel like it’s force feed to learn “generic” knowledge I have no interest in.

My views on this could definitely change since I find pearls of wisdom in the obscure.

But I’m definitely a lifetime learner and find wisdom everywhere.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bananaqueen View Post
    I'm thinking of going back to college as an unmarried, no kids almost 30 year old. Don't get me wrong I'm definitely going to milk the milf money of this industry while I'm there and maybe even after on the side. It's just nice to have a 'normal' job to fall back on when I get absolutely sick of this biz. I have done some schooling in my 20s but never stuck with anything so I am determined to have something I have actually completed under my belt. I have friends in their 30s who are still completing school. My path has been about travel and fun in my 20s, and I really don't regret that!
    I’m not in college cause I want a job to fall back on, it’s cause I felt like I’m missing out on life. Looks fade but I don’t feel discriminated in the “industry” cause I’m older now (I’m 26). I don’t care personally if I’m not attractive to a man nor do I care if I’m attractive to a vanilla employer. I am who I am. I’m surviving and anyone is lucky to get a days worth of work from me. I want to go into nursing at one point but I don’t know yet.

Depression held me down, and I am doing the best I can. I just want to get through life without regrets. Life is like a painting for me.

My path in life so far has been about survival. I’m struggling just getting out of bed on most days. The party scene I enjoyed was a side effect of the city I lived in.

As long as I have no children, I don’t feel like I owe this world anything. Once I have children then their needs are greater than mine. That’s why I worded the thread that way. My mother was a single parent who didn’t get child support, no way in hell im repeating that cycle.

Good luck to you on your journey! Also I only look young cause of retin-a by my doctor, if it weren’t for that miracle cream then I don’t know what cause I live a hard life. Yesterday was ID for alcohol so I hope I still have it! It was at a generic liquor store.
    Last edited by Femme Fatale; 03-06-2020 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 398 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

You can take a lot of classes online too if youre not into having to commute to class. I did a lot of online classes in community college and in a state university when I finished my bachelors degree it was so nice not to commute and deal with 18/19 year olds ��

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jasmine22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,821 Times in 2,319 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Sam38g View Post
    Older students tend to do better in college than younger ones. Who cares what others think, you are doing this for you & a better life.

And you are still young.
    All of this. You may be a little older than some of the kids you'll take classes with, but from an overall life perspective you're still quite young. You may have 50+ more years on this Earth so anything you can do to possibly improve them is a huge plus.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 344 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

I had to mandatory meet with a college counselor before enrolling in class in the past and nothing felt more shitty than this woman saying "Yes your age tells me it's time to get it together." ....I was 26 at the time with 70 college credits and wanted to smack the woman for her comment. Who was she to judge me as if she lived my life? I am going trade school route this time.

All you can do is attend your classes and not participate in the typical college lifestyle. That way of life will serve you no purpose. I tried to do as much as I could online at that age as an older student. Keeps it convenient. Wound up leaving a second time because I felt lost with my direction.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    I had to mandatory meet with a college counselor before enrolling in class in the past and nothing felt more shitty than this woman saying "Yes your age tells me it's time to get it together." ....I was 26 at the time with 70 college credits and wanted to smack the woman for her comment. Who was she to judge me as if she lived my life? I am going trade school route this time.

All you can do is attend your classes and not participate in the typical college lifestyle. That way of life will serve you no purpose. I tried to do as much as I could online at that age as an older student. Keeps it convenient. Wound up leaving a second time because I felt lost with my direction.
    Wow. How can someone tell someone to get it together? Is she paying your bills? Then no, thats rude.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,225 Times in 5,206 Posts

Important pro-tip...you (the student) have to prioritize your course load before everything else (day job, kids, etc.) This is where a lot of people get overextended on student loans and what not.

Finishing your training or degree has to be your ultimate goal no matter what.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post: