Thread: How To Take Professional Photos With A Smart Phone

Thanks
    Thanked 22,406 Times in 6,244 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy

Thumbs up How To Take Professional Photos With A Smart Phone

I was gonna write something up on how to create professional photos with a smart phone and then I found this quote. I couldn't have done a better job myself. Now that smartphone cameras are greatly improving it's become easier to create high quality photos with the built in device on your phone. Even if you don't have the latest iphone or samsung it's still possible to create crystal clear raw photographs. The most important factor is lighting, especially natural lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by JMDavis View Post
    You are your brand, and self-marketing is time and money well spent. I am always impressed by the poor quality of photos on the internet, even the ones dedicated to marketing. With that in mind, I've come up with some pointers that I hope will help.

Use natural but indirect sunlight.
    The best time of the day to take pictures outside is the hour before sunset. Sunlight at that time will have a flattering glow, and you'll avoid harsh shadows.

If you are taking pictures inside, pose near a window. Experiment with different camera angles to change the way light hits your face and body.

Equipment:
    Your cell phone should be adequate. Many phones have a portrait mode which will blur the background and add natural contrast to the face. Many phones also have a burst mode that takes pictures as long as you depress the shutter button. You can sort through them later. You can also download an app that will take a picture every second or two for a hundred shots. That's a lot easier than setting a timer every time.

A fifteen dollar tripod from Walmart is probably money well spent.

Easy on the post-processing:
    Most filters look fake and people assume you are trying to hide something. Adobe has a very good intro version called Photoshop Elements that you can get for about a hundred bucks. You can clean up the bug bites and pimples and make yourself look taller or thinner, and a bunch of other things.

Be authentic and avoid the cliches.
    Everyone likes a great body in skimpy clothes, but that alone won't generate interest. You are your brand, and how you set yourself apart from the pack will determine the success of that brand.

I personally can't stand the standard Instagram poses. To me they scream "look how beautiful I am" or "look how much fun I am having." I guess I'm a bad person, but I take some satisfaction when Instagram models fall off of cliffs while doing selfies.

If you don't want your face on the internet for all the world to recognize, you'll have to find a way to convey some originality without exposing yourself. Try using a camera angle that only captures part of your face and not enough to be recognized. Wear a Halloween mask or blindfold. Be Zoro or the Lone Ranger. Cover your face, or part of it, with your hands.

Posing:
    For whole body pics, you'll want the camera at or below the level of your belly-button. You'll look taller and leaner. But experiment with different angles.

For face pics, place the camera to the side and slightly above the level of your eyes. Turn your head into the camera. Remember your posture- keep your shoulder down and lean your head a little forward and to the side. This will elongate your neck and give you a more regal look. You don't want to look like the offspring of an oppressed Ukranian peasant.
    You'll need to experiment a lot.

Smile.
    We are all attracted to happy people. Whether it's the guy that cuts the grass or the woman you are taking to dinner, we all want to be with people that make us feel good.

Take off the sunglasses.
    The eyes are the window to the soul. They are the most intimate thing about us and the thing that generates the most interest.

Remember your target audience and set the mood.
    What image of yourself are you trying to sell? Fun, smart, sexy, sassy, aggressive? Are you the girl next door or the down-on-her-luck, failed wanna-be actress? A prop might help. Hold a belt in your hands. A fountain pen or football. A pillow, scarf, necktie or hat.

Be mindful of the background. Don't let it dominate the picture.
    As a rule, simpler is better.

Think outside the box.
    There are a lot of boring photos out there that don't catch the eye, and you can't turn on a computer or cell phone without seeing a beautiful woman. No one is going to pay attention to you if you look like everyone else.

One of my favorite photo shoots ever was for a woman who wanted some edgy but not nude glamour shots. We met at an elegant hotel in New Orleans, the Windsor Court, and she walked through the lobby in her bikini until we were asked to leave. Shortly after that, also in her bikini and heels, we had her pump gas at a busy gas station. She got a lot of looks and her excitement comes through in the pictures.

Motion and emotion.
    Again, capturing motion and emotion keep it real. Set your camera to take multiple pictures and jump on the bed or shadow box an imaginary Mike Tyson.

Is there someone that will pose with you? Put on a bikini and sit on the lap of one of your overweight girlfriends. Ask the construction workers to pose with you. Get the oldest man you can find, ask him to wear a suit, and do some photos with him.

Nudes probably don't help.
    Holding something back is one of the fundamentals of generating sexual interest. It's the old "why buy the cow if you can have the milk for free" thing. Let them be curious for more. A bikini or underwear photo will convey that you are an attractive woman and comfortable with your body.

After the shoot.
    Look at your pictures with a critical eye soon after they are taken. What can you do to make them better? What works and what doesn't.

Get help.
    Someone else taking the pictures will almost always do a better job than you'll do with a selfie. The interaction of photographer and model usually adds a dynamic dimension to the shoot that you won't get if you are alone. There are also a lot of amateur photographers that do it for fun. Check out Modelmayhem.com for someone in your area that does TFP (trade for pics, or time for pics). If you go that route, make sure you get a contract and read it before you sign it. Specifically, check what rights the photographer has with your images.

"Professionals steal, amateurs borrow."
    -Charlie Parker
    If you see a portrait that you like, copy it.

Just do it.
    And keep doing it until you get it right. Don't be discouraged if you look like crap in the early tries. Try same pose with five different camera angles, then with five different lighting. Plan on taking hundreds of photos to get one or two you like.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,276 Times in 3,725 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Default Re: How To Take Professional Photos With A Smart Phone

Love this thank you!

Also as a tip your equipment doesn't have to be expensive. I have a bunch of expensive lights now but the one I've started using the most is this little beauty from amazon it gives the prettiest look to pictures and cost like 20. I have it on an inexpensive light stand now and use it for filming!

Name:  Screenshot_20200515-155218_Chrome.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  442.7 KB
    "If you want to earn more, learn more" ~ Zig Ziglar

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 1,906 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by sexysusie View Post
    Love this thank you!

Also as a tip your equipment doesn't have to be expensive. I have a bunch of expensive lights now but the one I've started using the most is this little beauty from amazon it gives the prettiest look to pictures and cost like 20. I have it on an inexpensive light stand now and use it for filming!

Name:  Screenshot_20200515-155218_Chrome.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  442.7 KB
    Hahaha, I am using this ringlight with my webcam ))) That phone holder is perfect as a webcam support ))) I got it from Aliexpress at a simmilar price.
    * Me, everytime a member has 100 requests in freechat, like he's at a 5 Stars All Inclusive Holiday Resort *

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cutie101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,164 Times in 2,667 Posts

Hey, what's the link ? Thanks dolls.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,276 Times in 3,725 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by arielbriel View Post
    Hey, what's the link ? Thanks dolls.
    Looks like the one i bought is sold out. I'd see if you can get it from alixpress if cutie has the link? It has rgb mode and does a bunch of different colours and brightness.
    "If you want to earn more, learn more" ~ Zig Ziglar

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 741 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

Looking at other peoples photos to get an idea of composition and poses helped me a lot. I also looked up videos on how to shoot with my specific phone which showed me features I never knew I had.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naomi_doll For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow this video is so inspiring! I'm going to try that now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to $tripperbabe For This Useful Post: