Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: As states reopen, here’s how you protect yourself from the coming surge

Thanks
    Thanked 6,799 Times in 2,305 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Re: As states reopen, here’s how you protect yourself from the coming surge

Those stories are all old Eagle an any differences noted were a result of different ways in which county vs. state health agencies accounted for where a dead person resided. Since this time, two local TV affiliates of ABC and CBS put in a FOIA request for death totals from all 67 counties and then compared the total numbers to the state reported numbers. The discrepancies on a statewide basis were minor.

Unlike NY and other states where government can get away with playing games because they wield way too much control, this is the Sunshine State. Here local governments are not allowed to withhold that information from the press. If this story had any serious legs, the hounds at CNN, CNBC an other cable news outlets would have been all over it. In their absurd angst and anger, they are looking for anything to demonize DeSantis at this point for having the audacity to close later and open back up earlier.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,799 Times in 2,305 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Re: As states reopen, here’s how you protect yourself from the coming surge

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    A much higher percentage of flu deaths are among the elderly.

Florida has more than 2,500 deaths so far, including 69 in the past day.

There are people questioning how accurate FL and GA's figures are. Even so, both have higher death rates than CA, especially GA. GA's death rate is close to twice as high CA. Even though GA and FL re-opened, there are many businesses that remain closed and many people are continuing to shelter at home.
    There is nobody reputable still questioning the accuracy of Florida's figures. Due to the Sunshine Act, local and state government information is widely accessible. Here we believe in accountable government and won't tolerate obfuscation.

So with that said, there are 27 states with higher death rates than FL, which btw has the same death rate as CA - 11 per 100,000. The difference is that Florida isn't firebombing its economy for the next several years in order to accomplish it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Oh, and contrary to your assertions, businesses in 64 or 67 counties are pretty much wide open now. Restaurants are once again brimming with people and commercial activity has resumed. I just took my family to a resort for a long weekend, where my kids splashed around with other kids in several beautiful pools, and some restaurants had an hour or more wait. Retail businesses are fully back and even our strip clubs are opening back up tomorrow. The roads are once again clogged with cars. There is still a long way to go to full recovery, but this notion that FL business owners and consumers are huddling in their houses in fear is nonsense.

FL is a prime example of what happens when sanity and common sense are the mainstays of a state's government rather than politics and fear. FL doesn't need the federal government to bail out its public pensions, so DeSanstis didn't need to come up with absurd reasons to keep the economy closed in the hopes of leveraging more federal bailout money.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Oh come now. You know me better than that. We've bantered back and forth for years in a civil manner.

Btw, it is often YOU who personalizes first. I don't mind . I can take it.

As for the word "infected " it can and does mean different things depending on the context. It can mean "sick" ; "exposed" and several other things. It is important because as YOU WELL KNOW , many people EXPOSED to Covid -19 do NOT have any symptoms. They can be and often are INFECTIOUS , meaning they can transmit the virus to others. I'm sorry , but I thought we AGREED about this.

As for the hypocritical attitude of many Blue State governors , it is a fact that they have hammered any business that has tried to open without their imprimatur despite all the precautions those businesses have taken. Yet these same folks are blithely permitting mass demonstrations without distancing or requiring masks. My point is a simple one - If we can have these demonstrations when groups are supposed to be limited in size then WHY can't businesses with strict sanitation , distancing and other precautions reopen. Likewise , they have had little to no sympathy for business owners and their employees but seem rather tolerant of looting those businesses. Looting and arson are destroying mostly black neighborhoods .
    I could be patronizing and ask you whether or not you see any disconnect or inconsistency between the two policies but I don't want to insult you. I respect your intellect even when I strongly disagree with you.
    I'm not opposed to allowing businesses that are able to operate safely, to open, if take the proper precautions. It doesn't make much difference what I think, since I don't have any say in the matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,549 Times in 8,239 Posts

Protests for racial equality wasn’t “allowed” any more than any other mass gathering.

Coronavirus has only impacted people for a few months so far not nearly as long as blacks/minorities have been dealing with the real threat of death from just existing in a supremacist society. Its really pathetic in 2020 blacks and minorities have to protest for BASIC human rights

With respects to religious freedoms, no one is going to die if they can’t physically attend church for a few months.

With respects to business, no one is going to die if they can’t do business (unless they owe money to black market)

No one is going to die if they can't eat at fucking PF Changs for 3 months

No one is going to die if they can't get their hair cut for 6 weeks.

What business will people die from if it doesn't open tomorrow??? BC grocery stores n hospitals been open.

Heaven forbid being inconvenienced for a few months. Try being inconvenienced your entire life because you were born with dark skin.

You’re also conveniently forgetting that many people protested the stay at home orders many of them not wearing masks/not social distancing - Not to mention they showed up WITH guns. Trump encouraged these people to go against their local government, yet I don’t recall any military force whatsoever against these armed protestors because most of them were his voter base - white and conservative

Now the spread of coronavirus.....everyone who hasn’t stayed at home, traipsed out in public sick, refused to social distance, or refused to wear mask in public is responsible for the surge.
    Last edited by miss.a.p1600; Yesterday at 09:44 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    There is nobody reputable still questioning the accuracy of Florida's figures. Due to the Sunshine Act, local and state government information is widely accessible. Here we believe in accountable government and won't tolerate obfuscation.

So with that said, there are 27 states with higher death rates than FL, which btw has the same death rate as CA - 11 per 100,000. The difference is that Florida isn't firebombing its economy for the next several years in order to accomplish it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Oh, and contrary to your assertions, businesses in 64 or 67 counties are pretty much wide open now. Restaurants are once again brimming with people and commercial activity has resumed. I just took my family to a resort for a long weekend, where my kids splashed around with other kids in several beautiful pools, and some restaurants had an hour or more wait. Retail businesses are fully back and even our strip clubs are opening back up tomorrow. The roads are once again clogged with cars. There is still a long way to go to full recovery, but this notion that FL business owners and consumers are huddling in their houses in fear is nonsense.

FL is a prime example of what happens when sanity and common sense are the mainstays of a state's government rather than politics and fear. FL doesn't need the federal government to bail out its public pensions, so DeSanstis didn't need to come up with absurd reasons to keep the economy closed in the hopes of leveraging more federal bailout money.
    Georgia's death rate is close to twice as high as California's.

Florida Reports Highest Single Day Number Of COVID-19 Cases Yet; Hillsborough County Adds 95 Cases

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/f...-adds-95-cases

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,599 Times in 730 Posts
    My Mood
    Crappy

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    Now the spread of coronavirus.....everyone who hasn’t stayed at home, traipsed out in public sick, refused to social distance, or refused to wear mask in public is responsible for the surge.
    I was just out for errands and would say about 20% of people had masks. I don't understand.

I'm still pissed about the repair guy who came out with no mask or gloves, and wouldn't even wipe down all the surfaces he touched. I called the manager and he was like "whatever."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345