Thread: Living with someone POSITIVE for covid-19

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 803 Posts

Default Living with someone POSITIVE for covid-19

Long story short, my roomate has not been taking quarantine seriously since the city opened up. I have seen/heard him going in and out of the house and never noticed him wearing a mask, maybe he keeps it in his car idk, we aren't very close. I've occasionally heard people over but stayed in my room. Luckily my bathroom is connected to my room, i have snacks and water bottles, so I can stay in here pretty much 24/7.

I myself have taken full advantage of the fact that i'm on unemployment and stayed inside for the most part. I haven't really tried to go back to work since I don't absolutely HAVE to. I've spent a lot more money than i'd like on having groceries/food delivered. Once in a while i've gone to the store for something but I wear a mask and wash my hands and use sanitizer blah blah. I barely leave my room (although tbh i'm a hermit so i've always kinda done that).

Surprise surprise, last night roomate calls my phone from the other room to tell me that I should know he tested positive for covid19. He's not severely ill luckily, just has mild symptoms. He said he lost his sense of taste, has a bad headache, and I can hear him coughing as we speak. He told me as soon as he got his test results.

Has anyone else had to live with someone positive for the virus and still managed to not get it? I'm worried and incredibly depressed and frustrated because I was SO careful and now it feels like it was all for nothing.. like all I can do at this point is hope that, like my roomate, I will only be mildly sick.

I'm also sad because I'm so lonely and was able to hang out with at least one other person who was also very careful. Now I think I have to spend 2 weeks trapped in my room completely alone in case i'm a carrier. I would get tested.. but I don't want to waste the money since i have literally 0 symptoms and feel fine. I also don't have a car right now so i'm not sure how I would even get a test done since it's all drive-thru testing.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Living with someone POSITIVE for covid-19

That’s good he only had mild symptoms. I would just presume your positive and quarantine for 2 weeks if you show no symptoms then you know you probably didn’t have it. The Red Cross is doing free antibody testing, so you could that afterward. Just be careful. They make a sick room and don’t share bathrooms if you don’t have to.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I agree about assuming you already have it. It does put you in a tough spot but just remember vast majority of people who get sick recover. If you have underlying conditions you're at more risk but hopefully you're good with that. Avoid anybody that might be over 50+ or at risk for other serious diseases.

One positive if you do get sick now (yes there is a silver lining) is that you hopefully will not get it again later on in the year. It's technically better to catch it now than in the fall (if you're going to get it). Because in the fall/winter flu season will pick up & the hospitals will be dealing with flu patients AND covid patients which will be trouble.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kylie8585 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 667 Posts
    My Mood
    Innocent

I've personally never lived with someone who tested positive with Covid-19. (That I know of)
    Though I have an underlining suspicion that whatever unknown illness I had prior to this massive outbreak was very likely Covid-19. (It was really horrible)
    I have however survived catching the flu when a roomy was sick and that was avoided by OCD cleaning everything with spray bleach, alcohol, wearing masks and gloves.
    They stayed in their bedroom and was banned from using the kitchen, brought them meals and for the most part, avoided them at all cost, as well suggested they drink a flu bomb.
    It is nasty as hell to drink, but will get you better in 3 days tops.

Now I could never imagine getting Covid-19 (possibly again) and if it is anything like what I had a few months back, holy shit my lungs would be freakin toast.
    Definitely try to convince him to take this incredibly serious and avoid him like the plague! (If it was Covid-19) It builds up and gets so much worse, plus its not like the same mucus you can cough up.
    It is very thick and hard to get up that you almost feel like your lungs are heavy or similar to someone sitting on your chest.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BambiCutie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,217 Times in 5,203 Posts

Just isolate him in one room, cover your face when you bring him food and water, and wash your hands frequently.

Not to be too morbid here but if he happens to pass away from Covid 19, put him in the bathtub, taking care not to get any of his saliva, mucous or feces on you, and call EMS to remove him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    Just isolate him in one room, cover your face when you bring him food and water, and wash your hands frequently.

Not to be too morbid here but if he happens to pass away from Covid 19, put him in the bathtub, taking care not to get any of his saliva, mucous or feces on you, and call EMS to remove him.
    Hopefully if it got that bad he would already be at the hospital.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kylie8585 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 803 Posts

i ended up coming to stay with my ex for a bit and he is going to take me to get tested if i start feeling sick.

my roomate was being completely inconsiderate, not wearing a mask, wandering in and out of the kitchen grabbing sodas and cooking, doing some kind of DIY project in the living room/common area, and not even bothering to close his bedroom door. staying with my ex isn't ideal but i can't live like that, it was making me anxious and frustrated and i felt like a prisoner in my room. i can't believe some people are so inconsiderate. it almost seemed like he just didn't care about caution since he already has it. his girlfriend was also coming over still so i can only assume she has it as well.

even if he's convinced i'll be fine like him... i don't want to spread it to other people. i'm surprised my ex even offered to let me stay here because he has high blood pressure and other underlying conditions. he was tested last week and was negative. i hope i don't give it to him just because my roomate is careless. luckily he knows what a hermit i am- i barely use the kitchen and living room, and only when nobody is home if i can help it. i don't use the ice machine. i only drink bottled water. i have my own bathroom. all my food is pre packaged. i used to smoke on the patio a lot but i quit about 3 months ago.

my only concern is that i do pet my roomates cat sometimes in the living room but i always wash my hands after cuz i'm kinda allergic. its so fluffy and gets lonely when he leaves so it meows at my door and it's so cute >.< i've read conflicting things about animals being able to transmit the virus

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post:

Curious Guest
    Thanks

It turns out my uncle had it and didn't know it til he was tested later. He was sick but didn't know what he had. My aunt never got it and of course they slept in the same bed when he was sick because they had no idea that Covid is what he had.

So I hope it makes you feel better to know that just cause your roommate has it doesn't mean you are doomed to get it, because my aunt never got it from my uncle either.

Of course you still need to take precautions and its good you found somewhere else to stay, but you are not necessarily doomed to get it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LemonDrop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,469 Times in 2,039 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Get some Omeprazole just in case you start to feel symptoms.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,153 Times in 3,225 Posts

Do you have health insurance? Do you have a doctor you can contact?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Anachronism View Post
    i ended up coming to stay with my ex for a bit and he is going to take me to get tested if i start feeling sick.

my roomate was being completely inconsiderate, not wearing a mask, wandering in and out of the kitchen grabbing sodas and cooking, doing some kind of DIY project in the living room/common area, and not even bothering to close his bedroom door. staying with my ex isn't ideal but i can't live like that, it was making me anxious and frustrated and i felt like a prisoner in my room. i can't believe some people are so inconsiderate. it almost seemed like he just didn't care about caution since he already has it. his girlfriend was also coming over still so i can only assume she has it as well.

even if he's convinced i'll be fine like him... i don't want to spread it to other people. i'm surprised my ex even offered to let me stay here because he has high blood pressure and other underlying conditions. he was tested last week and was negative. i hope i don't give it to him just because my roomate is careless. luckily he knows what a hermit i am- i barely use the kitchen and living room, and only when nobody is home if i can help it. i don't use the ice machine. i only drink bottled water. i have my own bathroom. all my food is pre packaged. i used to smoke on the patio a lot but i quit about 3 months ago.

my only concern is that i do pet my roomates cat sometimes in the living room but i always wash my hands after cuz i'm kinda allergic. its so fluffy and gets lonely when he leaves so it meows at my door and it's so cute >.< i've read conflicting things about animals being able to transmit the virus
    I'm so sorry, this whole ordeal has been completely shocking to me, so many people just do not care at all. I just found out my dude's boss's daughters soccer team is positive and dude isn't at work now and we have to "wait and see" so business as normal. I've been avoiding working at all turns, even though I'm 6 grand in debt probably now, too scared to look. Fuck everything.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to questella For This Useful Post: