Thread: PUA overpayments

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default PUA overpayments

My last balance was about $3,000 on the relia debit card. I received $4,800 and $2,000 at the same time which I didn’t apply for. I tried calling PUA but their line is busy. I worked part time but it’s under the table money and I never filed taxes. I haven’t been working anywhere since the pandemic. What is going to happen? How do I pay back the money?

*THEY PAID ME $9,000 FOR JUNE AND JULY which totals $18,000.*
    For February to May are checks and went to my bank account not associated with relia debit card.

UPDATE
    During the week of June 21, 2020, you filed a weekly certification(s) for PUA benefits. All the weeks filed during this certification were released for payment on 6/22/2020. Due to Department error, on 7/14/2020 you were issued duplicate payments of PUA and the corresponding Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) for the same week(s) which were certified during the week of June 21, 2020. As a result, you will be receiving a determination and overpayment notice in the near future.

These notices will advise you how you can repay the duplicate amount. Please continue to check your dashboard for additional information.

Are they asking me to pay back since March or the duplicated amount??? What do determination means? They will investigate me when it’s their fault???? I’ll be glad to pay them back ASAP because I didn’t spend it.
    Last edited by sweet_baby; 07-23-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 723 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Default Re: PUA overpayments

They will probably catch it and attempt to withdraw it back is what i would assume, not really sure how this works...

Bikini Bottom, USA / Sin City / Hollyweird / OC
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

If u were out of work since march, that sounds about right..
    they sent my sis a letter that she got "overpaid"
    and then told her she wasnt?! Idk.
    𝒴𝑒𝓈 𝐼'𝓂 𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓃𝑔𝒾𝓃𝑔,
    𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓈𝓉𝑜𝓅 𝒾𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓌
    𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 𝒾𝒻 𝐼 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉𝑒𝒹 𝐼 𝓌𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹𝓃'𝓉 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝒽𝑜𝓌
    𝒜𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓈𝒾𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓂𝓎𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻 𝐼 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝐼 𝒻𝑜𝓊𝓃𝒹,
    𝒶𝓉 𝓁𝒶𝓈𝓉

Thanks
    Thanked 12,968 Times in 3,520 Posts

Girl, I honestly would say don't spend it in case they do come looking for it, but keep it for now. Does your state use a portal or site where it shows each payment? That might have some info. If you really want to get hold of them to ask, the key (at least here) has been to call repeatedly. Learn the number prompts and just keep trying until it lets you through.

If your state is anything like mine, their PUA system is completely fucked. People who were still employed & never applied were getting sent debit cards loaded with thousands, there were tons of duplicate checks going out for $2100 apiece, people are collecting from both PUA and regular UI.... It's nuts. I doubt the state is going to get that money back, it's considered a "non-fraud" issue since it wasn't the recipients' faults, and hence they don't have any recourse except to sue in civil court.

That's kind of why I lean towards not worrying about it too much. At worst, you'll probably get a letter demanding it back if/when they ever get around to figuring out who got extra payments, but it's not like you committed fraud. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others will disagree
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

^^i agree, it’s not fraud, u applied the right way and they gave u more, I’d hold on to it for a long while then if they never come looking for it, it’s yours

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ava$ For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I double checked that they did it twice! I did not realized that they did. They did it for June and July which I already spent some money from feb to now. It's not the right amount because I cashed out about $4k to pay my bills. I sent them an email and tried calling but line is busy so I am going to try to call them Monday morning. I had my friend ask her accountant and I am trying to consult with an employment attorney as well. I really don't want to owe any money. They paid me almost $20k which isn't the right amount. I emailed PUA 2 months ago and they never email me back. I asked the to check on my claim status.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

It does have the portal and I calculated it and the amount isn't correct. I am very worried as of now. I wouldn't mind paying it back. I heard there's a "waiver" or "appeal" if I do get the letter? What if I never get the letter? I heard it takes 30 days to receive the letter and 15 days to appeal? Please correct me. This is the first time I'm collecting money from the government. I am in PA by the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,968 Times in 3,520 Posts

Holy crap that's a shitload of money! That is a really big error on their part.

What letter are you talking about? The hypothetical one asking for it back? If you want to pay the money back, I'd sit tight & wait for contact from the state. Just don't spend the extra is all you gotta do then.

The other thing that someone else said is that they may simply try to pull it off your debit card. That happened here a few days ago, they literally drained all the money off some people's cards that they thought were claiming falsely. It took them 2 months to catch those people soooo... Yeah. I'm not surprised you haven't heard back from emailing them.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Yes, how long will the letter arrive? I’m fine with them pulling money off my debit card because I don’t want to get in trouble. There’s also people bragging scamming payments that they receive everyday. It’s all over online talking about PUA scams.

Thanks

They keep scaring the shit out of everybody with all these news reports of people fuggin dying. They better Not say shit about these PUA payments people are receiving. I, too, have this odd feeling in my gut that they're going to come thugging on everybody after this is all over, wanting their money back, or auditing people as to how much they received, whether they should have received it, or whatever. That better not happen. People have gone through so much mental, emotional, psychological, and even physical stress over all this, that it's literally fucked with peoples' health. Don't come back later and try to get in peoples' wallets. smdh

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmen Elixer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,942 Times in 8,821 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

Invest it. So if they do come collecting it back then at least you’ll have made/get to keep some money

15. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

^^this for sure! Why doesn’t stuff like this happen to me?? Lol

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ava$ For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

What if I don’t get the letter from the state? I am not sure how long until I get it. It says letter will arrive in 30days and 15 days to appeal. What am I appealing? I don’t have a boss that pays paychecks.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

I wouldn’t even appeal.. lol idk if this could be the wrong thing to do tho but you never made a false claim on how much money you made to begin with so this is there error, let them tell you what to do is the way I see it..

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ava$ For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Update

Veteran Member
    Thanks

395EDECE-17A8-4687-B74D-18DA67690473.jpg

Should I request a waiver since it wasn’t my fault?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

I would think you should if u hear from them, have u heard anything?? As long as you have nothing to hide and don’t wanna draw attention to yourself for whatever reason

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ava$ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,540 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Id def put it into a savings accnt. Dont touch it until they come knocking. If they dont then its a blessing.
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 729 Posts

The problem is, the state may attempt to intercept your income tax refund. I agree, putting your overpayment into savings is a good idea.

Z