Thread: new dj

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Smiley new dj

hey ladies!

I'm a dj and I'm considering working in the strip club... of course I've been to the club before as a patron (I'm female) but I would love y'alls advice since I haven't worked in that area before! I do all types of music from hip-hop to EDM/techno and pop. I know that announcing is part of the job as well... what do you think are other things I would need to know in order to get the job? Should I go in dressed more like a dancer or like a DJ?

Also, just out of curiosity, how much do y'all usually tip out your djs on average? and most importantly, what can your dj do for you to make your night better/as smooth as possible?

Featured Member Girl Anachronism's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 812 Posts

Default Re: new dj

hmm... in all my years i've only ever seen *one* female DJ at a strip club. i think it might be hard to get a job doing that as a female.... i definitely wouldn't go in dressed sexy because they are already gonna be unlikely to take you seriously and the strippers will NOT like that either. i don't think it's like other DJ gigs because you have to deal with a bunch of stripper drama and being a female isn't gonna help to say the least. with all the BS i see between strippers and male DJs i can only imagine what it would be like if the dj was a woman. i imagine you'd either get hated on HARD and a lot of girls would tip shitty (or not at all)... or you'd end up being a pushover... idk...

tip out really depends on the club. honestly i wouldn't get your hopes up especially right now but it's worth a shot just go in with your resume and be professional, that's all you can do unless you know somebody. try for day shift at first maybe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Girl Anachronism For This Useful Post:

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Thank you for the insight! I totally understand about the dressing.. I would probably aim to dress more like the waitresses/bartenders. In terms of the BS you see between dancers & DJS, can you tell me what I should expect? I'm definitely going to apply for a few clubs in my area in the upcoming weeks and I want to be prepared. I know you mentioned inter-dancer drama that DJs should try to stay out of (and definitely I see that being potentially difficult as a woman), but I'm a big girl and I think I can handle it. As for dancers avoiding tipping me, any advice on how to best deal with that without getting bouncers/house management involved?

Thanks!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by foxxy18 View Post
    Should I go in dressed more like a dancer or like a DJ?
    Definitely not as a dancer, you're not going to be a dancer! I'd dress casual on the edge of boring. DJ's are good at music and don't need to dress up to make a point

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbe For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,780 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Even some of the male DJs get bored with the gig. I remember a conversation I had with one where he was telling me that he felt too constrained. He was used to working clubs, events, and such were he’d be the one to read the audience and figure out how to keep them moving and/or intrigued, whereas the clubs I’ve worked at (which is only two, but still), we were the ones who selected our music… often to the chagrin of the DJ, who tended to think more of the crowd collectively, whereas we may be prone to singling out certain members of the audience. I had a regular who absolutely loved stage sets with high intensity pole work and heavy music, and he paid generously to see that. The DJs hated it though, because they’d be thinking, “what will that do for the rest of the audience?”. And so we often had conflicts over that.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

Thanks
    Thanked 13,337 Times in 4,338 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

If you're going to dress like a dancer you may as well be a dancer.
    "Fake tits are like Kevlar. They don't guarantee your chances of survival but they sure as hell improve it."
    Tempest

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempest666 For This Useful Post: