Thread: Which at home hair dye do you use?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 1,779 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

Default Which at home hair dye do you use?

Super curious: If you dye your hair at home, what brand of dye do you use?

I see so many different ones on the market and have been having a hard time deciding which to use next. Currently using Revlon Colorsilk in #10 Black, as it covers my naturally auburn hair plus the few grays I have really well. The reason i'm branching out and looking for a new dye is mostly due to the fact that no matter what I do/use, the color bleeds like crazy every time it gets wet. Black dye is a nightmare to get out of stuff, so any recommendations for something that bleeds less would be appreciated.
    Bonus points if it makes your hair look glossy!
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself..."
    -Oscar Wilde

2. The Following User Says Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 4,241 Posts

Default Re: Which at home hair dye do you use?

I've stopped using commercial dye and switched to a henna/indigo plant based combo, but when I did use commercial dye I found that clairol natural instincts semipermanent lasted just as long as permanant dye and didn't dull my hair. It left my hair shiny and healthy. You have to rinse it really well though to prevent bleeding dye. I used to lay down and soak my rinsed hair in the tub for awhile afterward to get the rest of the excess dye out.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 559 Posts

I went to sally's. If you find a good rep there they will help you get what you need.
    Last edited by moneybags; 08-16-2020 at 06:12 AM.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you donít want

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 598 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive

Quote Originally Posted by laurielegs View Post
    I've stopped using commercial dye and switched to a henna/indigo plant based combo, but when I did use commercial dye I found that clairol natural instincts semipermanent lasted just as long as permanant dye and didn't dull my hair. It left my hair shiny and healthy. You have to rinse it really well though to prevent bleeding dye. I used to lay down and soak my rinsed hair in the tub for awhile afterward to get the rest of the excess dye out.
    How is the henna/indigo? I bought one recently (it's called It's Pure) but haven't used it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,175 Times in 1,939 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I get my stuff from Sally. I use a Wella colour and toner and Ion volume 30 and the Sally fake Olaplex. My hair looks the same as when the salon did it.
    xoxo

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,846 Times in 10,251 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Yes, I bought some of the Wella (2 dyes to mix +developer). From amazon.

However, I'm lazy so.. box dye. I liked L'Oreal Excellence, but there's a new L'Oreal box dye called Age Perfect. For us older b*tches. It has not only a conditioner, but an Olaplex knock off which I don't use them, or haven't so far
    I love it, I also mix in there Gray Magic to help cover the grays.
    I don't use shampoo right after dying. I just wet it, scrub a bit like I'm using shampoo, rinse well after.

Carmel : are you waiting at least 3 days after dying to wash your hair? You should.
    Characterize people by their actions, & you'll never be fooled by their words.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    Carmel : are you waiting at least 3 days after dying to wash your hair? You should.
    typically i wash my hair once every 5 days. It dries out terribly if i wash it more. :/
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself..."
    -Oscar Wilde

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Go to Sally's. Ask the people what stuff they recommend to dye your hair with. I personally like Ion brand. Ask them if it's 2 to 1 or 1 to 1 with dye and developer. Get a 20 volume developer and some gloves, with a brush and a bowl. Get a hair conditioning treatment for like a dollar or two. Make sure you have color safe shampoo and conditioner. I always wrap my hair in Saran Wrap and let it sit for a half hour. Put Vaseline on your skin, around your ears and back of your neck so the dye doesn't stick to your skin and stain it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to davidross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,877 Times in 5,465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidross View Post
    Go to Sally's. Ask the people what stuff they recommend to dye your hair with. I personally like Ion brand. Ask them if it's 2 to 1 or 1 to 1 with dye and developer. Get a 20 volume developer and some gloves, with a brush and a bowl. Get a hair conditioning treatment for like a dollar or two. Make sure you have color safe shampoo and conditioner. I always wrap my hair in Saran Wrap and let it sit for a half hour. Put Vaseline on your skin, around your ears and back of your neck so the dye doesn't stick to your skin and stain it.

^ This, and the dye load in boxed hair coloring is very high. Essentially you get more bang for your buck with boxed hair dye, but if you're trying something more complicated than refreshing your hair color, go to a Professional.

Thanks

I use Adore. It's a semipermanent hair glaze. It makes my hair look super shiny and expensive, but I don't know about how much dark colors will bleed since it's not permanent. I think it's worth trying.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by chanzep View Post
    I get my stuff from Sally. I use a Wella colour and toner and Ion volume 30 and the Sally fake Olaplex. My hair looks the same as when the salon did it.
    I'm going to have to do this.
    I did a mini touch up, & it didn't cover as good, I did it again today, it's better, but still not quite the coverage I want.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,388 Times in 1,417 Posts

I use either tints of nature or naturtint. You can find them at Sprouts Market if there's one near you.
    [QUOTE=We had a rabbit like you;3051234]And I'm over here like "fuck you, pay me". No non sense, sorry.[/QUOTE

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveyDovey For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuelle View Post
    I use Adore. It's a semipermanent hair glaze. It makes my hair look super shiny and expensive, but I don't know about how much dark colors will bleed since it's not permanent. I think it's worth trying.
    Do you find Adore to be strong-smelling? I want to try it, but for example, Overtone was WAY too heavily fragranced for me... smelled like chemicals and fake bubblegum and fake flower perfume. Gave me a headache for days, even after washing. Manic panic seems okay; not heavily fragranced. Where does Adore fall in that continuum? Thanks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JessaJade View Post
    How is the henna/indigo? I bought one recently (it's called It's Pure) but haven't used it yet.
    I used to use henna and indigo as well. I can share my experience. They can both be EXTREMELY PERMANENT. With henna, you need to be sure that a warm/orange tone is going to go well with your skin tone. Even when I used indigo mixed in the henna to make it brown, it was a warm brown that really exacerbated any redness I had in my skin. When you try to bleach indigo out, it will often leave behind a sickly blue green. Messing around with henna and indigo is what eventually caused me to need to cut my hair super short due to damage from trying to remove it (pixie cut) and start over again.

If you go this route, make sure you buy body art quality henna ONLY. Most store-bought dyes contain metallic salts, which can react horribly with other dyes, and is the reason most hair dressers will not touch your hair with a 10 foot pole if you tell them you have used henna. However, body art quality henna does not contain metallic salts, and so it is safe to use with other dyes, bleach, etc.

longhaircommunity.com has a ton of info if you want to delve into henna. You do want to do your research before trying it because, as I said, it can be very permanent and hard to get out.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Adrienne7 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 598 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive

^Great info, thx. I will do more research before using it. Not least as my hair doesn't really grow quickly so any mistakes would be extra annoying.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,877 Times in 5,465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    I use either tints of nature or naturtint. You can find them at Sprouts Market if there's one near you.
    Are either of those henna-based?

I used to use henna but it's hard to find where I live.

Back on topic, Clairol's hair dye is the way to go if you're going to dye hair black, brown or red.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 4,241 Posts

I agree with the above comments on henna. I get mine from thehennaguys website or from Amazon. The body art kind gives better results for me. It's definitely permanent, but for me that's the best part. Other colors fade too fast on my hair. It's awesome if you want red (pure henna), black or brown colors (henna + indigo).

Be sure you get 100% henna pure plant color with no other additives.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,388 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    Are either of those henna-based?

I used to use henna but it's hard to find where I live.

Back on topic, Clairol's hair dye is the way to go if you're going to dye hair black, brown or red.
    No. I've used henna before. Found it online. I like these brands because they cover my gray and my brunette doesn't wind up looking all orange.
    [QUOTE=We had a rabbit like you;3051234]And I'm over here like "fuck you, pay me". No non sense, sorry.[/QUOTE

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty

First off, a huge thank you to everyone in this thread! Truly appreciate the guidance.
    My only hesitation with henna is dying or processing hair in any other way after using it. Every time I've had hair relaxed, permed, treated with keratin, or dyed the stylist has asked if my hair has ever been dyed with henna.
    Does anyone have experience with having their hair treated in some way after using henna based dyes?

Looking at sally's website right now and it's a lot to take in but giving me so many ideas! Been tempted for quite some time to dye my hair something other than dark black (basically just did it because it's an easy color to not mess up) but now I'm kind of tempted to lift the color a bit, then proceed to dye it a very dark blue. Figure if I absolutely hate it, I can always go back to dying it black but with a higher quality dye and developer.
    -Oscar Wilde

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Henna forms a type of 'shield' over your hair, which can make it difficult/reactive when using other dyes after using it, which is why hair stylist will ask about that.

Edit: I see Adrienne 7 did an excellent job of explaining this, much better than me

I, personally have shied away from using it for that reason.

But. I used to use a clear henna spray, (forgot the name) I liked it, haven't used it in a while. It did give my hair more body & shine.

Hopefully you can find a look you like that works for you!

I'm glad I picked up doing my hair, I think it's better than that damn bleaching (altho some is still in there, it's grown out & ombre looking) + the $ spent

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post: