Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to school. Any nurses here?

Thanks

Default Re: Back to school. Any nurses here?

ava$

Oh, and they work 16 hour days because they care about their patients and the Hospital is pretty much fucked. Totally overloaded. They don't work, these people die. Someone breaks their arm, WTF do they do? They have to go to the Hospital! Or they just sit there with a broken arm. Not even Covid related, all that shit still goes on, and they need nurses. My Mom is one of those Nurses. And my Mom is a good Woman. She cares deeply about her Patients.

Keep in mind, i'm not harshing on you. Just wanted to clarify. I think you are a good Woman, and i don't want you to think i'm bitching at you. I'm not, at ALL. As i said, this is your site, not mine.

But did want to clarify my post.

Edit to add: Just thought i'd brag for a moment, my Mom is what is called a Charge Nurse. That mean's she runs all the other Nurses. She's the BOSS. Go MOM!!!
    Last edited by Raziel; 08-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

Thanks

My Aunt is a Charge Nurse too, but she works in a Nuthouse, so i don't know what the fuck she does. That's all a Mystery to me.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

It was good getting some perspectives although it seems most of it is second hand perspective not personal experience. What I do know is that there are so many opportunities in nursing, not just working 16 hour shifts in hospitals. Of course the rate of pay greatly depends on where you end up, experience and sometimes hours. Being a nurse in a pediatricians office for instance is I’m sure much different than being an OR nurse or ED nurse. And specifically the area I’m interested in, aesthetics, even bigger difference. For one, the environment is wildly different. Administering Botox and filler, etc. during the daylight hours in a med spa or plastic surgeons office is not the same as working at a med express or a specialty dr office. That’s just another example of a different area....my GI has infusion nurses. Obviously the pay will not be as great but another thing that attracts me is there are usually insurance, 401k, retirement, etc.
    I know that getting to that point will take me at least 4 years. After becoming an RN I will need some experience and then of course training in that specific area.
    I think if I go to school for a specialty like ultrasound tech it may be “simpler” but I’m the long run, I won’t have as many opportunities to move around or try new things to find a good fit.
    Anyway, I talked to admissions and have another appointment on Monday to see if I can get signed up for any of the pre requisites I may need.

The school also has a preschool/daycare on campus so if I am accepted into the daylight full time program, mah daughter can attend there and I can still dance 1-2 nights. If my damn club ever re opens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisa7513 View Post
    You can only make so much selling dances, but when you really get into a guys head and heart, you get into his wallet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,946 Times in 3,515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ava$ View Post
    Oh and stripper money for nurses... idk what u guys consider stripper money but hospital nurses where Iím at only make like 3-4K per month and thatís wayyyyy less but if u do other nursing jobs u may find higher pay..
    I think it depends on what hospital system you work for, day or night shift, if you have extra certs, etc. Weekend + night shift differentials can give you a good salary boost. Charge nurse is a pay raise. Etc. Someone I knew in high school went into the VA system (so salaries are public info) and makes north of $80k in telemetry (which is not a super intense unit).

There's pretty good upward mobility as a nurse. A lot go on into being nurse managers or into admin (I think they get MBA/MHA/MSN degrees generally). There are former nurses who are C-suite admins for hospital systems. You can get your NP or FNP. CRNA (nurse anesthetist, does 90% of what an MD anesthesiologist does) is another option. They make great money, $140k-$240k range. It definitely provides a lot of options so you don't have to be a floor nurse your whole career.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,946 Times in 3,515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    My Aunt is a Charge Nurse too, but she works in a Nuthouse, so i don't know what the fuck she does. That's all a Mystery to me.
    Heh, I volunteered (and briefly was a paid tech) in a 'nuthouse'. Frankly, the nurses have a sweet gig. They spend 80% of their shift behind the glass-walled nursing station. The charge nurse is usually working on the computer. The other nurses hand out meds through a swinging half door or chart on patients. The techs do almost all of the real work - taking vitals, 15 min rounds, shepherding patients to groups and meals, etc.

The only times the nurses really come out from behind their safe glass zone is if a patient is out of hand and they have to help intervene (aka, give them the 'booty juice'). They might do an assessment on a new patient once a shift too. That's it though.

If you don't like the bodily fluids aspect of healthcare, psych is the place to be. There's occasionally a poop flinging patient or a bed wetter, but they make the techs & housekeeping clean it up (which is why I quit, after that 'lie by omission' about job duties became apparent )
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok an Insane Asylum, Psychological Ward, Loony Bin,...Or Nuthouse.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I give Patty shit about it all the time. Good natured shit, but shit.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    Iím really thinking of trying to go back to school especially with whatís going on lately in the world. The service industry is what Iíve always been in (food, alcohol) besides dancing and all of these are being hit the hardest. I feel like this is a good time to further my education and get into the medical field in some way. I feel like there are SO many jobs available to RNís and since I probably qualify for lots of grants right now, I should go for it.

I was about to go back right before I found out I was pregnant so put it off.

I know aas is a good starting point but how hard is it really?? There are a couple other ideas I have but I want to make the most of my investment (time and money).
    I got my bachelor last year and have since specialized towards surgery. I work at a cosmetic clinic (plastic surgery), and that was always my goal. I enjoy working there!
    Surgical nurse and NPC Bikini/Wellness competitor

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GlamLifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

That’s awesome to hear! I just signed up for a couple fall classes and have a plan to finish in 3-4 years. Since I got the ball rolling too late to apply for next fall, it may take me a little longer but a slower paced be best with being a single mom and needing to work. By the time I start full time day time she will be in school full time as well so that will work out. Aesthetic nurses doing botox, filler etc very commonly make 3 figures. It may take 5 years but I would love to work in that environment for the next 20 years especially making that kind of money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisa7513 View Post
    You can only make so much selling dances, but when you really get into a guys head and heart, you get into his wallet.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danni For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GlamLifter View Post
    I got my bachelor last year and have since specialized towards surgery. I work at a cosmetic clinic (plastic surgery), and that was always my goal. I enjoy working there!
    That sounds interesting to me as well. I’ve just started to work as a secretary at a clinic but would like to finish my education as a nurse that I started years ago.
    I’d definitely prefer to work with this kind of work compared to regular hospitals etc.
    What kind of surgeries do you do?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jucie For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jucie View Post
    That sounds interesting to me as well. I’ve just started to work as a secretary at a clinic but would like to finish my education as a nurse that I started years ago.
    I’d definitely prefer to work with this kind of work compared to regular hospitals etc.
    What kind of surgeries do you do?
    me too. I want to be a plastic surgery nurse. I’d rather not work in a hospital, but probably would need a few years of hospital experience before doing out patient surgery. I guess I could do hospital work for a few years. Rather not, but we all got to start somewhere
    Focus more on what you want than on what you donít want

Thanks

Yeah, money, i asked my mom and she says you'd need at least something in your basket before doing outpatient. But like one or two years.

I mean, if you prove yourself to be good at it. Most Plastic Surgeons are screaming for Nurses.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    Yeah, money, i asked my mom and she says you'd need at least something in your basket before doing outpatient. But like one or two years.

I mean, if you prove yourself to be good at it. Most Plastic Surgeons are screaming for Nurses.
    thanks for asking

ill work at hospital and get my BSN. Thereís just a lot of politics in hospitals thatís why Iím not excited about it. Thereís a few crazies, but thereís always that everywhere
    Focus more on what you want than on what you donít want

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12