Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scientists and medical professionals increasingly oppose lockdowns

Thanks
    Thanked 6,938 Times in 2,392 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Scientists and medical professionals increasingly oppose lockdowns

Finally some sanity is entering the broader scientific and medical community. They are finally looking at the data with a practical eye rather than being gripped by reactionary fear.

The Great Barrington Declaration, which was authored by Sunetra Gupta of the University of Oxford, Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford U and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard U, will hopefully bring more light to the enormous ills caused by lockdowns, especially upon the poor and young. It calls upon governments to find another approach and has been signed by 10,000 other scientific and medical professionals.

https://gbdeclaration.org/

Hopefully places like NY and CA, which have been choking their economies and their people for 7 long months now, will finally get the message. Soon many NY and CA school children will be hopelessly behind in their academic programs and many low income workers are becoming increasingly desperate and reliant upon the government for basic needs.

Here in FL we have had leaders who have understood these costs for months, which is why the state did not lockdown as hard as other places or maintain lockdowns for very long. The result is substantially less unemployment, kids going to school and sports, and overall a much healthier and happier state to live in. Our state budget is even showing relative health, unlike the unfixable devastation that CA and NY have wreaked upon their own finances. FL is what happens when committed leaders avoid giving in to herd panic and instead actually let the data guide them.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,203 Times in 10,442 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Default Re: Scientists and medical professionals increasingly oppose lockdowns

Ok..

Rick , dear, did you have too much coffee this morn??
    Characterize people by their actions, & you'll never be fooled by their words.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    Ok..

Rick , dear, did you have too much coffee this morn??

LOL. Maybe. But I basically write for a living so it really doesn't take me too long to whip this stuff out.
    Last edited by rickdugan; 10-14-2020 at 09:14 AM.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,670 Times in 3,455 Posts

This was signed by such prominent scientists as ‘Dr Johnny Fartpants’', 'Professor Notaf Uckingclue’, 'Professor Ita Rôle Italy Pudding and dessert expert', and ‘Dr Brian Blessed Doctor in Winged Flight, Z-Cars and Booming Laughter’.

https://missoulian.com/opinion/lette...5bfaa6d2a.html

With such prominent scientists signing on to this, it must be legitimate.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    This was signed by such prominent scientists as ‘Dr Johnny Fartpants’', 'Professor Notaf Uckingclue’, 'Professor Ita Rôle Italy Pudding and dessert expert', and ‘Dr Brian Blessed Doctor in Winged Flight, Z-Cars and Booming Laughter’.

https://missoulian.com/opinion/lette...5bfaa6d2a.html

With such prominent scientists signing on to this, it must be legitimate.
    You mean with almost 500,000 signatures, there are a handful of fakes? Say it ain't so!

Are the authors' names fake too? Are their credentials being called into question? Are the 35 scientific and medical professional co-signers also fake? If so, then you and the author of that snippet piece may have a point. Otherwise...

If you haven't read the actual document, I'd advise you to do so. It may not be as satisfying as digging up some C-grade opinion piece and trying to use it to support your pre-dispositions, but it would give you a clearer picture of who is saying precisely what.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 759 Posts

No they don't, and you know it.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

2 - 16hr days. Covid getting bad again at the hospital.
    I'm exhausted & can't sleep.
    I'm getting stage 2 pressure ulcers on the bridge of my nose from my N95 mask again.
    My hands are dry & hurting.
    I'm fried, burnt out, exhausted.

WEAR.A.FUCKING.MASK.

#CovidRN

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    You mean with almost 500,000 signatures, there are a handful of fakes? Say it ain't so!

Are the authors' names fake too? Are their credentials being called into question? Are the 35 scientific and medical professional co-signers also fake? If so, then you and the author of that snippet piece may have a point. Otherwise...
    It's nothing but a propaganda piece from a right-wing think tank, that went around trying to find anyone with any scientific credentials to sign off on it. It presents no evidence to support its claims, and has not been presented to the scientific community for peer review, which is how science actually works. Legitimate scientists do not post findings on an internet site for anyone to sign off on, even if you are able to get prominent scientists like ‘Dr Johnny Fartpants’ to add his signature.

If you haven't read the actual document, I'd advise you to do so. It may not be as satisfying as digging up some C-grade opinion piece and trying to use it to support your pre-dispositions, but it would give you a clearer picture of who is saying precisely what.
    No, unlike your far-right propaganda piece, it's an actual scientific study documenting the patients sampled and the results. Your entire issue with the study is not its accuracy or validity, but that you did not like the results. What you advocate has already been tried in your state, and a few others, and has been an abysmal failure. The number of daily deaths skyrocketed from 20 or 30 to more than 200 after FL did what you are advocating. This is what you want to do to the entire country.
    Last edited by eagle2; 10-15-2020 at 12:49 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

It's nothing but a propaganda piece from a right-wing think tank, that went around trying to find anyone with any scientific credentials to sign off on it. It presents no evidence to support its claims, and has not been presented to the scientific community for peer review, which is how science actually works. Legitimate scientists do not post findings on an internet site for anyone to sign off on, even if you are able to get prominent scientists like ‘Dr Johnny Fartpants’ to add his signature.

No, unlike your far-right propaganda piece, it's an actual scientific study documenting the patients sampled and the results. Your entire issue with the study is not its accuracy or validity, but that you did not like the results. What you advocate has already been tried in your state, and a few others, and has been an abysmal failure. The number of daily deaths skyrocketed from 20 or 30 to more than 200 after FL did what you are advocating. This is what you want to do to the entire country.
    Eagle, I'm confused. Where was the scientific study in that opinion snippet? And you never responded to whether you are challenging the credentials of the authors and 35 co-signors.

As far as FL, mortality and positivity rates here in FL have continued to drop since opening up. Do I have to repost the whole "lagging statistics" reporting concept again? That's because it is mostly young people getting it now. FL is a shining example of how to actually run a state in the age of COVID, which is not balled up in a fetal position.

COVID is not the only medical and social ill we need to manage, especially since it is not especially dangerous to young people. It is long past time for public policy leaders in places like NY and CA to recognize this. FL has and, as a result, is a much happier and healthier place to live, especially for the many millions of children and lower income people.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpacrkk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

^Thanks dp. I always enjoy a piece that tells us to implement Asian style population controls that would likely be Unconstitutional here and to adopt unspecified, likely ineffective and wildly unaffordable widespread social programs to mitigate the devastating mental health and economic impacts. Because we haven't been hearing that nonsense from clueless academics for 7 months now already.

The point of this thread is to highlight the increasing number of scientists and medical professionals who are able to overcome their tendency to focus on a single issue and take a realistic look at the broader harm caused by these largely failed policies. There is a reason that almost no country in the world is reverting back to the lockdowns that they implemented when the virus first started spreading, even in the face of resurgences.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^Thanks rick. I always enjoy a post that reminds us that the US is the land of the free...free to make bad decisions. Because the median American hasn't been doing that for at least 4 years now already.

The point of that post was to show that scientists aren't a monolithic hive mind and there is more than one viewpoint. People are free to do what they want with information presented by multiple sides.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

DP, we'll agree to disagree re: the last 4 years.

But in terms of your hive mind comment, the subtext is that the view that you posted is the one we have been deluged with as the uniform position of scientists and medical professionals for the last 7 months. What I posted is likely the first meaningful communication from the scientific/medical community that fully recognizes the other significant ills caused by blunt force population controls, including:

• Incalculable long lasting economic damage at both the personal and governmental levels;
    • An overwhelmed mental health system, including a likely spike in suicides that we won't have a clear picture on for years;
    • Increases in crime, including domestic violence;
    • Spikes in opioid overdoses and other drug abuse, which also feeds into the crime issue;
    • Poor children losing educational opportunities that they will never get back, further perpetuating generational poverty;
    • Increases in widespread poverty and food insecurity, which feeds into a number of these other issues;
    • More deaths in the coming months and years due to decreased use of other medical services, including cancer and heart screenings;
    • Decreased vaccination rates in children, especially in areas where schools are not open to collect vaccination records as a requirement for attendance...

The list goes on. Many of these issues also have price tags in terms of lives lost and impact 10s of millions of people here in the U.S., potentially for a lifetime. Here in FL these issues were recognized months ago, in no small part because of the more well rounded scientific, medical, mental health and economic professionals advising the Governor. It's too bad that NY and CA, among others, either cannot seem to process these very real trade offs or simply don't care because they think they are doing what is more popular with their voting constituents.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

^Thanks dp. I always enjoy a piece that tells us to implement Asian style population controls that would likely be Unconstitutional here and to adopt unspecified, likely ineffective and wildly unaffordable widespread social programs to mitigate the devastating mental health and economic impacts. Because we haven't been hearing that nonsense from clueless academics for 7 months now already.
    New Zealand is an Asian country?

God/dess
    Thanks

Eagle, I'm confused. Where was the scientific study in that opinion snippet? And you never responded to whether you are challenging the credentials of the authors and 35 co-signors.

As far as FL, mortality and positivity rates here in FL have continued to drop since opening up. Do I have to repost the whole "lagging statistics" reporting concept again? That's because it is mostly young people getting it now. FL is a shining example of how to actually run a state in the age of COVID, which is not balled up in a fetal position.
    You're being very dishonest. Florida deaths skyrocketed over the summer, after Florida opened in May.

COVID is not the only medical and social ill we need to manage, especially since it is not especially dangerous to young people. It is long past time for public policy leaders in places like NY and CA to recognize this. FL has and, as a result, is a much happier and healthier place to live, especially for the many millions of children and lower income people.
    You're either being dishonest, or are ignorant of the facts. You seem to have this misconception that everyone who gets covid, either dies or fully recovers. You refuse to acknowledge that there are many young people who catch virus and don't die, but end up with other serious health issues. I was recently talking to a young lady on Twitter who had covid. She got through the virus okay, but now she's in the hospital with blood clots in her lungs and legs.
    Last edited by eagle2; 10-15-2020 at 11:24 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

New Zealand is an Asian country?
    Geographically or Demographically ? I'll try to help. It's in the Southern Hemisphere ; near Australia. What else would you like to know ? Lol. Just kidding.

Seriously, what difference does it make ?
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Geographically or Demographically ? I'll try to help. It's in the Southern Hemisphere ; near Australia. What else would you like to know ? Lol. Just kidding.

Seriously, what difference does it make ?
    I'll try to help. It's because of the document cited New Zealand (and Japan and Vietnam) and then he posted this:

I always enjoy a piece that tells us to implement Asian style population controls
    Seriously, try to keep up.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dpacrkk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

• Incalculable long lasting economic damage at both the personal and governmental levels;
    • An overwhelmed mental health system, including a likely spike in suicides that we won't have a clear picture on for years;
    • Increases in crime, including domestic violence;
    • Spikes in opioid overdoses and other drug abuse, which also feeds into the crime issue;
    • Poor children losing educational opportunities that they will never get back, further perpetuating generational poverty;
    • Increases in widespread poverty and food insecurity, which feeds into a number of these other issues;
    • More deaths in the coming months and years due to decreased use of other medical services, including cancer and heart screenings;
    • Decreased vaccination rates in children, especially in areas where schools are not open to collect vaccination records as a requirement for attendance...
    Just be honest: you don't care about anything on that list, just how it affects your money. And that's fine. But if you really cared about the humanitarian cost, you'd support many well- suggested social programs.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpacrkk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpacrkk View Post
    I'll try to help. It's because of the document cited New Zealand (and Japan and Vietnam) and then he posted this:

Seriously, try to keep up.
    Right. I was being serious. Sheesh !
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

You're being very dishonest. Florida deaths skyrocketed over the summer, after Florida opened in May.

You're either being dishonest, or are ignorant of the facts. You seem to have this misconception that everyone who gets covid, either dies or fully recovers. You refuse to acknowledge that there are many young people who catch virus and don't die, but end up with other serious health issues. I was recently talking to a young lady who had covid. She got through the virus okay, but now she's in the hospital with blood clots in her lungs and legs.
    FL had a surge in COVID cases, but it's death rates were modest in comparison. I talked about his months ago. Go back and look at the data. FL, which has a higher population than NY, has now had over 200,000 more COVID cases but only about half the deaths. Also to this day, even while being fully open for months now, it's fatalities have dramatically decreased and it's death rate per 100,000 people is still far below NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, MS, DC and AZ.

Next time you wish to accuse someone of being dishonest or ignorant you should be sure that the ignorance is not your own. As I say time and again, instead of relying upon melodramatic fluff pieces for your information, you'd be well served going directly to the data sources. Here is one good one:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...sesinlast7days

FL is a model example of balance in the COVID era. While losing 15,600 people sucks, this is a state of over 22 million people and, if we are being candid, many of those who died had one foot in the grave to begin with as they were 90+, very sick or both. Young people have to work, go to school and live, including many millions of children and low income adults. Our kids are back in school and sports. Our people are going back to work. Our businesses have opened back up - at least the ones that survived the lockdown. Our newest cases are coming with extremely low mortality rates because it's the young that are getting sick while the old and inform have long since learned to protect themselves. Our state economy is getting healthy again and our unemployment number for September, which will be released tomorrow, is expected to be well under 7%.

And I don't ignore the health issues, but being in a state which has learned to live with COVID and now knowing several people who have had it, including myself, I understand that long-term issues are not the norm with recovery. In fact it is expected that the overwhelming majority of people who get it are asymptomatic, yet another thing you could explore on the CDC site.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

DP, we'll agree to disagree re: the last 4 years.

But in terms of your hive mind comment, the subtext is that the view that you posted is the one we have been deluged with as the uniform position of scientists and medical professionals for the last 7 months. What I posted is likely the first meaningful communication from the scientific/medical community that fully recognizes the other significant ills caused by blunt force population controls, including:
    Again, it's from a right-wing think tank, not the scientific community.

The list goes on. Many of these issues also have price tags in terms of lives lost and impact 10s of millions of people here in the U.S., potentially for a lifetime. Here in FL these issues were recognized months ago, in no small part because of the more well rounded scientific, medical, mental health and economic professionals advising the Governor. It's too bad that NY and CA, among others, either cannot seem to process these very real trade offs or simply don't care because they think they are doing what is more popular with their voting constituents.
    That's ridiculous. The only person your governor listened to was Trump. Your governor's policy is being directed by a man who seriously suggested injecting disinfectant to cure covid.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

38. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Again, it's from a right-wing think tank, not the scientific community.

That's ridiculous. The only person your governor listened to was Trump. Your governor's policy is being directed by a man who seriously suggested injecting disinfectant to cure covid.
    Eagle I'm confused again. Were the three pre-eminent scientists who authored it and 35 scientific/medical professionals who co-signed it really undercover policy wonks?

As far as that second comment, now you're just being plain ignorant. During the worst of the crisis, we were treated to press conferences 2-3 time per week from the Governor covering the data points and medical recommendations in very granular detail. This included recommendations from a task force comprised of all of the above experts, along with input from some of the most pre-eminent research hospitals in the state. Decisions to re-open were based entirely on declining case positivity rates and hospital capacity. The place where FL determined was an acceptable threshold was determined based upon competing input from various experts on the task force, which included a blending of COVID concerns and the various other medical, sociological and economic forces in play.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Here is a link to the direct source:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429

Again keep in mind that some of those new reported deaths occurred weeks ago - it is a lagging statistic. Also keep in mind that those new cases were based upon over 64,000 tests reported today.

Our current positivity rate has edged up to a little over 5% these last couple of days. Not where we want it to be, but nothing that is going to re-trigger any of the nonsense that kept millions of people in dire poverty and millions of children out of school.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by dpacrkk View Post
    Just be honest: you don't care about anything on that list, just how it affects your money. And that's fine. But if you really cared about the humanitarian cost, you'd support many well- suggested social programs.
    Dp, even if you were right about my emotional investment, it wouldn't make those horrible costs of lockdowns any less real. But you aren't. My money actually went up during COVID for reasons I won't discuss here.

What suffered was my children's emotional health and educational advancement. I am also surrounded by other businesses that are still recovering, including friends who have suffered enormously. I am also active in a number of charitable endeavors and have seen more hardship than I can easily recall, especially among the at risk community, which has been the hardest impacted by business and school closures. For many of these people, who are at very low risk for COVID complications, the blunt force "cure' was far worse than the disease.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast