Thread: is the stripping industry like the retail industry?

Thanks

Default is the stripping industry like the retail industry?

is being a stripper the same as working in retail?

you know, like, the customer is always right?
    Not allowed to talk back to the customer and getting reprimanded or fired if you do?
    Always have to have a friendly smile on your face/a friendly demeanour?
    Wearing a smile/being polite even when the customer is being difficult/rude?
    Having to get called in or do overtime?
    Cover for other staff?
    Is there a set scheduled time that you must show up as?

Sorry for all the naive/stupid questions. I ask these questions because not all clubs are supportive towards the dancers, in that regard.

Part of the reason of my desire to do stripping is to escape from retail from those reasons I listed, so that's why I asked.

Thanks!
    Last edited by softpetals; 11-19-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: wording

Thanks
    Thanked 13,014 Times in 3,531 Posts

Default Re: is the stripping industry like the retail industry?

Depends on your locality.

I believe everywhere except California has us as independent contractors, meaning we aren't supposed to be told what to do by the club. Some clubs still try to give out schedules though.
    In my area, we have no schedules except sometimes the less attractive girls being relegated to dayshift. Sometimes they try to enforce a set number of hours you have to work, usually 4-5 max here, but it's rarely enforced if you're a good earner and not a troublemaker. Sometimes they just charge a higher house fee to leave early.

I have never seen anyone get fired for being rude to a customer. Some managers will wag their finger at you if you're a habitual offender or were REALLY awful to the guy. You're not obligated to talk to anyone so you can just get up and walk away from rude customers. It helps your sales to be friendly and smiling though so I try not to be an asshole unless the guy was really asking for it.

Otherwise no, it's not like retail. In retail, the customer is always right. In the strip club, the customer is almost always wrong.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

oh thank god, thank u so much! <3

I've had such a bad experience in retail so it's good to know that it's different at a strip club

Thanks
    Thanked 13,014 Times in 3,531 Posts

Yeah it is but don't hinge all your hopes on dancing. The industry is fucked right now because of covid. Even in normal times I'd say 10% of girls are still there 6 months after starting. Don't quit your day job.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't think so. In retail most of the time the annoying stupid rules are not from the person who runs the store. It's from corporate & the reason why "the customer is always right" is because the store owner/manager is afraid corporate will find out if you tell the customer to F off.
    In the club you're not part of a corporation. I know plenty of managers/owners that would side with a dancer before a customer.
    Sure you'd have some owners take the customers side if they are loyal and have a lot of people that come because of them. But def different IMO.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    Yeah it is but don't hinge all your hopes on dancing. The industry is fucked right now because of covid. Even in normal times I'd say 10% of girls are still there 6 months after starting. Don't quit your day job.
    wow, that's so sad, but that's the unfortunate reality. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by softpetals View Post
    wow, that's so sad, but that's the unfortunate reality. Thanks
    It's not for everybody. You have to be able to take BS. Not afraid to have the spot light on you. It can be a crazy atmosphere job. I've seen clubs get raided. But it also is a great job for some people in terms of being able to provide for their family. It's helped me give my daughter a better xmas and birthday.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessQ For This Useful Post:

Featured Member EastCoastDancer01's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 825 Posts

From my experience, absolutely not! Stripping is a very liberating kind of job, its what women do when they are tired of the corporate rat race and having to follow stupid vanilla job rules. Not that there arent any rules in strip clubs; there are. But for the most part, you are in control of how you work. You don't have to put up with customer's BS, you can walk away if someone is being rude. The club will usually have your back and protect you, as long as you're working at a good club. The potential for money is unlimited although I will agree with previous comments that COVID has drastically made stripping much more difficult.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EastCoastDancer01 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,938 Times in 1,632 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Retail, in the sense of working at, say, Kohl's on an hourly basis and pretty much being there to halfassedly guess at which of two or more similar products might suit a customer's needs? No, not like that. But you could certainly compare it to a commissioned sales job... particularly, one in direct sales. It's a lot like when I sold Cutco, albeit with more success as a stripper. I never could get all that enthusiastic about Cutco products... my whole upbringing was focused on me becoming the ideal little housewife, so I know a thing or two about cutlery, and Cutco to me wasn't all that impressive. Decent, but nothing life changing.

Customer is always right? Fuck no. If I tell a custy where they may not touch me and they don't abide, no, they're not fucking right. End... of... motherfucking.... story. I'm not an extras girl, and that's all there is to it. Likewise, if a customer's conversational skills are to act like an asshole, I won't tolerate it. More likely, I'll walk away and ignore them for the rest of the night rather than get into it with them.... kinda kills the vibe for the other customers. Let the bouncers deal with it.

Any club that places such an expectation on you deserves to be razed to the fucking ground.

You as a stripper have to decide your own persona. Whether you want to be all smiles and giggles and flirty or whether you want to take the 'ice queen' approach... that's up to you. You need to figure out which works for you. Me, I'm pretty good at reading people and I'll switch it up accordingly. I won't tolerate someone acting like a shit towards me.

Rigidity in scheduling... that'll vary by club. I've always done it part-time and on an even more casual and occasional basis now, as I have a lot going on between two jobs and a business that's picking up.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastDancer01 View Post
    From my experience, absolutely not! Stripping is a very liberating kind of job, its what women do when they are tired of the corporate rat race and having to follow stupid vanilla job rules. Not that there arent any rules in strip clubs; there are. But for the most part, you are in control of how you work. You don't have to put up with customer's BS, you can walk away if someone is being rude. The club will usually have your back and protect you, as long as you're working at a good club. The potential for money is unlimited although I will agree with previous comments that COVID has drastically made stripping much more difficult.
    Totally agree about liberating job! I never thought I'd get into this and here I am overall happy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrincessQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,161 Times in 5,528 Posts

A lot of us have worked vanilla jobs that we've felt are extremely similar to sex work. I was briefly a massage therapist, and very much felt like an underpaid sex worker, lol. And many women on here have expressed that stripping and the nursing field have a lot in common.

I think it all comes down to money, boundaries, and communication. And these are factors you'll have to negotiate and balance in every job you'll ever have.

Some people experience sex work as liberating, which it definitely can be, but privilege plays a part in that experience. And your approach and mentality will affect your experience of it. When i first started dancing, i went from making $5/ hour at Hallmark to being able to make $600+/ shift in my little college-town dive, so that definitely affected my attitude about it. I also didn't need the money i was making, so i had a lot of freedom to be myself and set firm boundaries. But i don't think this is the case for everyone. It can be a very disempowering gig sometimes, like when you're working on a dead night, and you're working your ass off to try to get old ugly guys to tip you a dollar on stage while you're trying to keep a smile on your face. Moments like that aren't empowering. But every job has moments like that. And most people don't expect cubicle workers to feel empowered at work, so it's funny how many times sex workers get asked about empowerment. Anyway, lol...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 285 Posts

It's not exactly the same as working retail but I guess there are similarities too. I prefer clubs to the vast majority of vanilla work but I've seen that so many girls don't stay more than a few nights then they quit - it's not what they expected. No idea what they expected it to be, easy money perhaps? No the customer is not always right, you can talk back to a certain degree and yes you can walk away if you don't like how a customer is treating you, but there are also many cases of clubs not supporting or protecting dancers. Working conditions can be bad and the risks can be higher than in retail, keep that in mind.

About having to be friendly and polite all the time, even with difficult customers, I mean no you technically don't have to but if you're there to maximise your income you might find that a smile is all you're gonna want to be wearing all night. Unless you pull off that attitude/domina/spoiled hustle. No one will care if you look less than happy because they're not paying you a salary, but when you've made chump change compared to the girl who hustled her ass off with that annoying customer you turned down earlier because you didn't feel like it then it could be time to rethink. Just don't have too high expectations, if retail makes you hate people don't expect stripping to restore your faith in humanity and be a walk in the park, if it was easy everyone would do it.

Yes I've done overtime, if I was in VIP I didn't go home until the customer went home. Yes I've been called in when they "don't have enough girls" (then when I got there sometimes it turned out they did have girls but customers just didn't want them). Yes I've had to schedule (I chose which nights but some nights you were expected to come in because they had very few girls without this policy). That all varies depending on the club though. Good luck! I don't mean to be overly negative here I just saw many girls who left the club not even a week into the job and I feel like some of it could've been avoided if they had realised beforehand that it's actually a job.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Likethis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate all of your valuable advice!! <3