Thread: Workout Question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 495 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

Default Workout Question

Probably a stupid question but my mother told me they have shut the gyms back down in her area ( mine are closed too) and was wondering if just doing straight cardio (for a longer time) on my treadmill at home would be enough for weight loss instead of using gym weight machines? I still haven't lost my covid weight and no plans currently for manual labor around the house to be productive. I have a one 5 pound free weight and that's it. Can't buy anymore equipment since I'm out of room.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Workout Question

Do body weight exercises. Like push-ups and burpies. They're on YouTube.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,120 Times in 5,514 Posts

I actually maintain and trim up by walking on the treadmill at the gym (low intensity for longer times, like an hour of fast walking). Every body type is different. But i think stuff like crunches and whatnot will build some muscle without trimming you down, potentially making you feel bigger. My body reacts best to low-intensity cardio with some weightlifting thrown into the mix to tone my arms and thighs. If i do stuff like planks and crunches, i tend to get wider around my middle, which doesn't make me feel sexy. That's just me personally. Every body type is different.

Thanks

Anything is better than nothing! That's the first important lesson! But it's import for muscle confusion. Doing the same thing over & over again will make it harder to lose weight for some. That's why going to the gym can be beneficial because so much different things.

Diet is really important and almost half the battle or more for some. I do planks a few times a day and push ups (need to better though).

I don't really run much but will for about 100 yards (light jog). I don't have a treadmill so don't want to put weight on my knees on the street.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    I actually maintain and trim up by walking on the treadmill at the gym (low intensity for longer times, like an hour of fast walking). Every body type is different. But i think stuff like crunches and whatnot will build some muscle without trimming you down, potentially making you feel bigger. My body reacts best to low-intensity cardio with some weightlifting thrown into the mix to tone my arms and thighs. If i do stuff like planks and crunches, i tend to get wider around my middle, which doesn't make me feel sexy. That's just me personally. Every body type is different.
    Thank you .
    I’ll try the treadmill for longer to see if it helps.. Is there a certain speed or interval on the treadmill you use? I’ve reached the weight I’m at when I’m post surgery and completely done being like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    Thank you .
    I’ll try the treadmill for longer to see if it helps.. Is there a certain speed or interval on the treadmill you use? I’ve reached the weight I’m at when I’m post surgery and completely done being like this.
    Yeah, it's possible we have very different body types and whatnot. Fast walk, sometimes with ankle weights. I start slower to warm up, and then spend most of the time at a pretty fast walk, sometimes at an incline.

For anyone who is struggling to slim their midsection down, core exercises like crunches and planks will probably just create muscle under the fat that will make the midsection wider than it already is. I am naturally pretty slim, but i really avoid a lot of those direct core exercises that are really focused on building that area for that reason... it makes me feel fat, when I'm not. Just my experience. You'll get an indirect core workout no matter what exercises you're doing. I like using weights to tone my arms and legs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    Yeah, it's possible we have very different body types and whatnot. Fast walk, sometimes with ankle weights. I start slower to warm up, and then spend most of the time at a pretty fast walk, sometimes at an incline.

For anyone who is struggling to slim their midsection down, core exercises like crunches and planks will probably just create muscle under the fat that will make the midsection wider than it already is. I am naturally pretty slim, but i really avoid a lot of those direct core exercises for that reason... it makes me feel fat, when I'm not. Just my experience.
    Going on amazon to buy leg weights. I forgot about using those. Thanks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Going on amazon to buy leg weights. I forgot about using those. Thanks!
    Yes, girl!! Don't get weights that are too heavy - you don't want them pulling on your joints or rubbing hard on your ankles. Lighter weights won't feel like much of a challenge at first, but they'll add a healthy amount of challenge once you've been walking quickly on an incline for an hour.

Thanks

I'm trying to remember what they recommend for ankle weights...i want to say a maximum of 5 lbs, but maybe do some research.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Probably a stupid question but my mother told me they have shut the gyms back down in her area ( mine are closed too) and was wondering if just doing straight cardio (for a longer time) on my treadmill at home would be enough for weight loss instead of using gym weight machines? I still haven't lost my covid weight and no plans currently for manual labor around the house to be productive. I have a one 5 pound free weight and that's it. Can't buy anymore equipment since I'm out of room.
    Yes you can! Cardio is actually great for weight loss
    Fitness is not about being better than someone else - it's about being better than you used to be.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,666 Times in 3,451 Posts

If you have enough room, I've found jumping rope to be the best exercise for losing weight. Also, eating healthy makes a big difference.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,270 Times in 1,978 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Try a Work out DVD like Jillian Michaels. You can download it on Amazon.
    xoxo

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,184 Times in 1,676 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by chanzep View Post
    Try a Work out DVD like Jillian Michaels. You can download it on Amazon.
    Or she can access all the beachbody programs for only $100 per year (or try for a month/ 6 months or whatever). On https://www.beachbodyondemand.com
    There's absolutely all the programs, including Jilian Michaels. They all come with downloadable calendar, meal plan, etc. So much more convenient than the traditional Amazon DVDS's. And cheaper hahaha!
    * Me, everytime a member has 100 requests in freechat, like he's at a 5 Stars All Inclusive Holiday Resort *