Thread: Unique idea for awesome club.

way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere, CO
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Unique idea for awesome club.

Maybe I've already worn out my welcome here, but here's why I joined: I have an idea for a club that dancers should appreciate, no I wouldn't own it, members would -- 501(c)7 social nonprofit, member owned, dancers would be the membership committee (with an opportunity to invest, but not own, local/state/national laws apply) -- no jerks allowed. Hell, maybe the first thing would be to tell me to f/o! Got off on the wrong foot here, can I come back from that? At this point I don't think so, makes me sad, but won't stop me either.
    Kinks - "I'm Not Like Everybody Else"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Re: Unique idea for awesome club.

What I really don't know is Dj's. Back in my day I was DJ Nobody just like all my co-dj's at 3.2 clubs of yore up and down the Front Range of CO. Ramskeller, Fort Ram, GT's, Pogo's, Thirsty's, Tulagi's, I worked them all but it was a job, not a gig like nowadays. There was a bulletin board with the manager's music selections, what tunes and in what order, with some spaces to do our own thing, but it was something I did for minimum-wage fun and practically no tips (unless we count gals' phone #'s, that John Cusack film "High Fidelity" is kinda spot-on). Like, sometimes the order (circa 1990) was "don't play Tainted Love unless requested, but leave off 'Where Did Our Love Go;", other times "Never play Tainted Love without following with 'Where Did Our Love Go'" and yet other times, play "Tainted Love" first thing, then "Where Did Our Love Go" as last song before the set break.

So here's a set of ten songs I might've played at the Bustop bitd, which add up to almost an hour if you get the right mixes:

AC/DC - "Who Made Who"
    Softcell - "Tainted Love"
    Softcell - "Where Did Our Love Go"
    Delta 5 - "Mind Your Own Business"
    J. Geils Band - "Love Stinks"
    Missing Persons - "Destination Unknown"
    Thompson Twins - "Come Inside"
    Eurythmics - "Love is a Stranger"
    Book of Love - "I Touch Roses"
    A Flock Of Seagulls - "Space Age Love Song"
    The Bangles - "Going Down to Liverpool"

Guess which 3 were my choices not the manager's.

How much would I have to tip a club DJ nowadays for that set list, and would anyone happily dance to it or just tolerate it if I'm tipping like a whale?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Strip clubs were so different then. The above set, on two poles, would have gals dancing then mingling, by mingling I mean dancing with the club patrons with their tops off (no tips no touchies), a little bit of grinding, but hell nobody hardly knew what a lap dance was, at the time, so that's how it worked -- the DJ had to play tunes the gals could dance to on the pole, but the guys could also dance to with the gals on the dance floor. I freely admit I know nothing of what's become of strip clubs in the past 20 yearsl

Thanks

Still live in Colorado? Try to take over the Dandy Dan’s in Denver (they didn’t open back up at all after lockdowns part 1) and get it going xD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

So many strip clubs for sale now! Mine would be 150+ miles from the nearest competition, in a resort area, in a very nice timber-and-log lodge. Upscale all the way.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

But would take two years to build. With so many strip clubs for sale, it's been easy to do my research. I come up with $3.73M revenue and $225K cash flow for my plan, which is right there with a "typical" upscale club the size I'm looking at, with some interesting numbers if nonprofit...

As in, dancers would earn a wage of $600 for an 8-hour shift (4 per week x 50 weeks works out to 80% the working hours of a full-time job --2,000hrs is considered full-time -- paying $60/hr), plus tips minus tipping out the DJs/bartenders/servers/bussers, nothing to the club (or bouncers etc).

A common complaint about clubs which charge stage fees, is how competitive the gals get towards closing, if they haven't made enough $ -- the gals get catty, the customers feel pestered, etc.

Would $600/night minimum make for a better club vibe (less pestering and no need to do 'extras' which could lead to prostitution charges against the club), and would I find any dancers willing to be employees not contractors, for this wage?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Nevermind. I've been bouncing ideas of my gals who know this industry, they all say "don't take my word for it" and direct me to here, which has totally backfired. If you take the time to know me I'm sure I'll respect your opinion. As it is, my big takeaway from here, and thank gosh for the lesson learned, is pay the dancers well but DON'T LET THEM HAVE ANY DAMN THING TO DO WITH RUNNING THE CLUB. Rule #1 for me, moving forwards. If I left it to the dancers to be the membership committee for my club, well, half of the half-dozen approved guys would be their boyfriends, the other half wouldn't get any action for being hated for being men, and the whole thing would fall apart.

I will serve as a well-paid GM at the pleasure of the Board of Directors of the membership, and those two dancer slots on said board? WTF was I thinking, not gonna happen. Wanna unseat the patriarchy? Talk sense, not conspiratorial bullshit about who's a phony or in cahoots, especially if you put me on top of that list. When opportunity knocks, try not to shoot a 12-gauge through the door. Thank you all for your input and goodbye.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Like, seriously. Try to help a gal get on top of the patriarchy, she accuses you of trying to keep her under the thumb of the patriarchy. I don't know the answers, which is why I ask questions, but the answers here are way to nasty to deal with regularly, hell my nads would shrivel up into peanuts if I did that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Now the mods can ban me for thread bumping. Could give less than zero fucks.