Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United Airlines plans to buy 200 flying electric taxis within the next five years

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,265 Times in 3,726 Posts

Default United Airlines plans to buy 200 flying electric taxis within the next five years

Thanks

Default Re: United Airlines plans to buy 200 flying electric taxis within the next five years

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    I'll wait until they get all the bugs out.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 934 Posts

Default Re: United Airlines plans to buy 200 flying electric taxis within the next five years

I'm not getting on that thing. Fuck that!
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    I'm not getting on that thing. Fuck that!
    ALERT The Media ! We agree ! Can World Peace be far behind ?
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,660 Times in 1,413 Posts

When I'm reading about this, my eye is scanning for the words "redundant" and "fail-safe". I want to see those words a lot before I will set foot in one of these.
    Where Am I? Missing NYC

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How about "Tested" or "safe." I'm not getting on a flying car, HELL no.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    I'll wait until they get all the bugs out.
    I would hope they do that before bringing them into service.

Thanks

I'll be the 2,000,000th person that rides in one of these.

They need self driving cars before flying ones.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,512 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

People can barely handle driving normal cars with all the accidents we see. Wasn't there a 130 car pileup in Dallas Fort Worth a few days ago? I used to want a flying vehicle but when you think about the wild things people do just on the ground...NAHHHHH. I'm not ready lolllll.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would hope they do that before bringing them into service.
    You want to bet ? How many recalls have we witnessed for cars and vans just in the last ten years ?
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    People can barely handle driving normal cars with all the accidents we see. Wasn't there a 130 car pileup in Dallas Fort Worth a few days ago? I used to want a flying vehicle but when you think about the wild things people do just on the ground...NAHHHHH. I'm not ready lolllll.
    Yeah. Great point. You would need a driver's license AND a pilot's license. Instead of just driver inattention and road rage now we'll have pilot inattention and air rage ! Plus alcohol, pot and testosterone. Three big factors in causing roadway accidents.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Featured Member
    Thanks

Obviously we'll need great self-driving / flying software, although I pretty much disagree with the premise, at least how companies are presenting it in commercials: Driver dad almost pulls into path of an oncoming vehicle, breathes a sigh of relief that car stops him from doing something stupid, glances at his kids in back seat. How about being a responsible driver?
    Originally Posted by
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

God/dess
    Thanks

You want to bet ? How many recalls have we witnessed for cars and vans just in the last ten years ?
    The FAA has much stricter regulations for aircraft, than there are for cars.

God/dess
    Thanks

Yeah. Great point. You would need a driver's license AND a pilot's license. Instead of just driver inattention and road rage now we'll have pilot inattention and air rage ! Plus alcohol, pot and testosterone. Three big factors in causing roadway accidents.
    Flying taxis will most likely have autopilots, so alcohol, pot and testosterone won't affect their safety.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Flying taxis will most likely have autopilots, so alcohol, pot and testosterone won't affect their safety.
    Well, Bro, they better. Some yahoo might not be a natural born pilot. But I'm still not getting in one. I'll stay on the ground, thanks. I don't really like flying to begin with.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,512 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

there’s no way I’d be in one...they still haven’t mastered the Tesla and people getting in accidents from it. I’m not willing to fly into a building due to it malfunctioning lollll

I also don’t get how it would be financially worth it if you had to have a pilot license and making the same money as an Uber? Is United going to be paying for these workers tuition?

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,937 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

But are they actually fun to ride in? Why does everyone skip over the important part?
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    But are they actually fun to ride in? Why does everyone skip over the important part?
    Because it's NOT fun! It's "Oh SHIT."

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,937 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    Because it's NOT fun! It's "Oh SHIT."
    Life without risk isn’t worth living.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    Life without risk isn’t worth living.
    I can risk something else, like juggling fire, or climbing mount Everest. I do not like flying. Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing it all the time. I know I beat this into the ground all the time, but my publisher is in New York City and sometimes they want to talk to me face to face.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 767 Posts

Garmin, Piper and Cirrus have an autopilot out with two airplanes, the Piper M600 and the Cirrus Jet that have auto-land capabilty for the 2021 models. Autoland is for pilot incapcitation. The autopilot, once alerted to pilot incapacitation, or unwillingness to fly and land, will handle the landing. The Garmin autopilot will check the weather, winds, temperatures. fuel load, aircraft performance, runway lengths and direction. Then, it will select a runway to land at. (Not necessarily the destination.) It will inform Air Traffic Control by text messsage throught a system called ADS/B and proceed to the selected runway and land. Using engine power, reversing if necessary and braking, the autopilot will bring the airplane to a stop and audibly instruct the passengers to evacuate.

Very cool technology for the single pilot world! Not terribly relevant to the multi-pilot world. However, there are much older/lower tech auto-land systems that will land the airplane once the pilots line it up with the runway and select the proper landing aids. (Localizer and Glideslope.) Category III Autoland is nice for really bad weather as it takes most of the human error out of the landing. Autopilots do much of the enroute flying, leaving the pilots to monitor and manage. Autothrottles of various designs will handle most of the engine controling from takeoff to shutdown with only a few pilot inputs. This makes new jets fly more efficiently and lower the workload in the cockpit. Airline and corporate pilots are mostly managers of the flight now. They usually do alternate landings with eachother though.

Weaving all this technology together to automate the entire process is the next phase in aviation. I think the Garmin/Piper/Cirus system is great for small flight departments that have a tough time keeping co-pilots on staff. But, it's not true self-flying. Just safer for the single pilot. I expect to see a lot of movement toward self-flying aircraft just as with self-driving cars and probably busses too. The system in my Lexus is amazing! It still requires me to be there and monitor. But, it does a great job of avoiding crashes, lane keeping, and cruise control. It's good in stop and go traffic, but not so great in just city driving with little traffic. (I love the cross track warning though at intersections. One more layer of safety.)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

there’s no way I’d be in one...they still haven’t mastered the Tesla and people getting in accidents from it. I’m not willing to fly into a building due to it malfunctioning lollll

I also don’t get how it would be financially worth it if you had to have a pilot license and making the same money as an Uber? Is United going to be paying for these workers tuition?
    They won't have human pilots. They'll have auto-pilot.

Tesla has come pretty far with self-drive.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 927 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

This thing looks like an open helicopter? Looks like it would be so loud to ride in. They need to make what they have in westworld LOL

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissAdriana View Post
    This thing looks like an open helicopter? Looks like it would be so loud to ride in. They need to make what they have in westworld LOL
    I'm not sure what that's a photo of, but the article says they'll be buying from Archer. I think it's going to look like this:

Here's the article:
    https://robbreport.com/motors/aviati...is-1234596090/

God/dess
    Thanks

Archer is scheduled to start their flying taxi service in Miami in 2024.

https://statescoop.com/miami-archer-...ical-airports/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast